Epiphone Probucker bridge replacement

Brianlps

Reaction score
Picked up a nice Epi Standard 50's a couple months ago. I absolutely love the neck pickup. It stands with any high end pickup I had in my old Gibson Standard. But the bridge is just, just awful. I've tried adjusting all I can, lived with it and tried to talk myself out of it being that bad, but it is what it is, it's bad. It's not as loud as the neck and very thin, no muscle to it

I know, can of worms, but suggestions for a beefy, round, full bridge pickup that won't break the bank.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a nice Epi Standard 50's a couple months ago. I absolutely love the neck pickup. It stands with any high end pickup I had in my old Gibson Standard. But the bridge is just, just awful. I've tried adjusting all I can, lived with it and tried to talk myself out of it being that bad, but it is what it is, it's bad. It's not as loud as the neck and very thin, no muscle to it

I know, can of worms, but suggestions for a beefy, round, full bridge pickup that won't break the bank.
When you say adjusted all you can, do you mean pole pieces, overall height, lowering neck and raising bridge, etc?

Have a picture of how you have them set relative to one another?

Brianlps

Reaction score
I've played with polepieces and heights. It's not just the neck and bridge seeming unbalanced, at whatever height I set the bridge pickup at it sounds very thin

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've played with polepieces and heights. It's not just the neck and bridge seeming unbalanced, at whatever height I set the bridge pickup at it sounds very thin
Ok. Can’t fault you there. I was not a huge fan of the Probuckers. I also have a 50s Standard and after about 3 weeks of adjusting, playing, adjusting I tried my SD 59 set and those were an incredible improvement.

You might want to check out the 59/Custom Hybrid from Seymour Duncan.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Every Epi with Probuckers I had, thin wasn't something I would say about the bridge UNLESS it was coil split. Almost makes me wonder if yours is soldered in wrong, with just one coil, or badly (i.e. losing signal).

That said, what I did always find with probuckers were they were a little lackluster, no real harmonic depth, kind of generic. I replaced every pair because of that.

Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB is big, beefy, round and affordable (under $80). An oldie, but boldy. More modern voiced. Often paired with an SD 59, so should work with a Probucker neck. They are pretty hot. One reason they are great for splitting.

In a similar vein, but a little more expensive is the Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special. The lows are balanced, the mids have a bit of a snarl, and the highs are edgy. Big chords rings out with clear note separation. I rock a pair in my Gibsion LP Special EX. I think one would match very well with a Probucker.

Also, always the old standby, Seymour Duncan 59.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Assuming that you've already checked the control circuit, it sounds like that particular pickup has some problem.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
It does sound like it could be a coil/split wiring issue.
Depending on your taste, a DiMarzio Super Distortion, may be an option.

Brianlps

Reaction score
Alright, form what I can tell there's nothing wrong with the pickup. But the quick connect thing is foreign to me. Emailed Wolfetone and think the Marshallhead MKII is the trick. But from what I'm reading you have to have and adaptor of some sort to swap it with this quick connect system. I'll probably have it done for me but what do I need to make that swap work?

Roxy13

Reaction score
There are people on ebay/reverb that make and sell the adapters I would contact one of them.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I’ve not been particularly impressed with Epiphone pickups. The guitars are decent and the price point is awesome. But, yeah the pickups are….. meh!!!!

I vote for throwing a 57 classic/classic plus in the bridge and call it good. Get one used for decent price. Dimarzio PAF, SD—well just about anything SD, etc…. So many awesome choices

Does yours have the stupid plug in connection for the pickups or are they soldered?

Latest Threads