Epiphone neck profiles

pomaranc

Reaction score
Everybody says that traditional has thicker neck than standard but according to epiphone website and wiki both have 60s slim taper D profile, just like almost every other epi guitar...
After a bit of research I only found out that there is a lot of different profiles but epiphone didn't bother to give them different names.
So how different are necks on epi LP special II/traditional pro/standard and how do they compare to the gibson? Some people are saying that they are between 50s and slim taper but closer to 50s others say that it is thinner than slim taper on gibson.
I guess that special and standard are the thinner and traditional is the one in between.

Does anyone have better knowledge about that? It would help me a lot :)
(And no I can't try them out in the music store... :( )

agiehler

Reaction score
  • LP Special II: Not sure, sorry.
  • Standard: Thin D shape with somewhat of a flat backside.
  • Traditional Pro: Slightly larger, more rounded profile closer to a medium C.

Don't forget the Traditional Pro is a satin finish vs the gloss poly on the standard. Personally I'm not a fan of Epiphone necks, but the two best IMO are the Traditional Pro and the 1960 V3. In terms of Gibson comparison, I'd say the Standard Epi feels close to the 60s neck Studios that I've played and the Traditional Pro compares to the 50's Studio Tribute line...maybe a tad more rounded than the Gibson.

pomaranc

Reaction score
  • LP Special II: Not sure, sorry.
  • Standard: Thin D shape with somewhat of a flat backside.
  • Traditional Pro: Slightly larger, more rounded profile closer to a medium C.

Don't forget the Traditional Pro is a satin finish vs the gloss poly on the standard. Personally I'm not a fan of Epiphone necks, but the two best IMO are the Traditional Pro and the 1960 V3. In terms of Gibson comparison, I'd say the Standard Epi feels close to the 60s neck Studios that I've played and the Traditional Pro compares to the 50's Studio Tribute line...maybe a tad more rounded than the Gibson.
Although I like thicker neck of my special II a LOT more than thin neck on my sisters jazzmaster I am afraid that anything more might be a bit too much for my tiny little hands :D
Too bad local music store has only guitars with 60s thin neck :/

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I've got an Epi Special II neck sitting around as parts, I'll let you know later how it compares to my Plus Top Pro (slim taper 60s) and my G400 (slim "D").

I can tell you now, from experience, that the traditional neck is a bit wider than my PTPs, but not uncomfortably so. The satin finish goes a long way to making it feel faster. Trust me, the difference between neck profiles isn't measured in whole inches or anything... It's mainly a comfort thing, but the difference in thickness probably isn't going to significant impede your playing ability if you're adept at playing on any other LP neck.

sk8rat

Reaction score
It varies slightly. I went to gc and played the same guitar I have at home but the necks were completely different. mine is much more round and a bit fatter and the one there was really flat and thin but the necks were both described to be the same.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
It varies slightly. I went to gc and played the same guitar I have at home but the necks were completely different. mine is much more round and a bit fatter and the one there was really flat and thin but the necks were both described to be the same.
^^^^^^^This! I tried a PlusTop Pro when I was on a long-distance motorcycle trip and I loved the neck, because it was noticeably fatter than my '56 GT's neck. When I bought the PTP I couldn't take it with me so I asked them if they'd ship it to my house. They said they'd ship a brand new one from the warehouse and it would be waiting for me when I got home. When I got home and unpacked the guitar, the first thing I noticed was that the neck felt completely different than the one I played at the store. It had almost the same slim-taper dimensions as my '56GT.

pomaranc

Reaction score
Well it seems that epiphone's neck profiles are as consistent as specs on their website.
But anything will be upgrade from special I guess :)

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
My LP Special II had a very thin neck, thinner than the 60s slim taper on my Studio.
But it was round on the back, not a slim taper D. More of a small C shape. Pretty close to the neck on a Squier CVC Telecaster.

The website is useless, according to it my 58 Explorer has a slim taper D neck, which is not true at all, its almost as big as the huge neck on my traditional.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I checked, and my Epiphone Special's neck feels very similar in profile to my PTP's. The Traditional's neck will almost certainly be thicker, though, as others have pointed out, it's difficult to say by how much until you actually pick one up and play it.