Epiphone LQ

frehley76

Reaction score
I really love my LQ. I took some decent pics that show how cool the top is. This guitar is extremely good, it's crazy lol. This one weighs 8.3lbs.
Screenshot_20220613-122203_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220613-122207_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220613-122234_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220613-122155_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-122219_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-122219_Gallery.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

frehley76

Reaction score
If anybody has a LQ feel free to post pics here, I never get tired of seeing them.

bl5150

Reaction score
I just bought one (same model/colour) and will post here when it arrives. Threads like this one were part of my research and quite helpful as info is scarce. I paid up for it but it's in 90%+ condition and there ain't any others around pretty much in the world.

Even after paying full price for this I have managed to score an LQ and a current 1959 Epi for much less than it would cost to buy a Gibson Studio , so I have no problem with it.

I do love the look of genuine flame tops and still have a little itch there that the 59 doesn't quite scratch but when it comes to the real "players" I reckon the plain tops have more "soul."

Mine is AFAIK all original so it looks a bit different to yours which seems to have different bridge/pickups etc..... anyway , happy to join the small club of LQ Standard honeyburst owners :)

frehley76

Reaction score
I just bought one (same model/colour) and will post here when it arrives. Threads like this one were part of my research and quite helpful as info is scarce. I paid up for it but it's in 90%+ condition and there ain't any others around pretty much in the world.

Even after paying full price for this I have managed to score an LQ and a current 1959 Epi for much less than it would cost to buy a Gibson Studio , so I have no problem with it.

I do love the look of genuine flame tops and still have a little itch there that the 59 doesn't quite scratch but when it comes to the real "players" I reckon the plain tops have more "soul."

Mine is AFAIK all original so it looks a bit different to yours which seems to have different bridge/pickups etc..... anyway , happy to join the small club of LQ Standard honeyburst owners :)
The pickups are pretty lackluster, at least to me. The LQ is way above the Epi 59 in my opinion, just a better guitar. I have 2 and both are pretty great. I can't wait to see NGD pics when you receive it!

bl5150

Reaction score
Yeah..............I have a nice new pickup sitting in its box here (a Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge with raw nickel finish) that's been waiting a long time for a guitar like this and matches the look of the stock pickups pretty closely. As I understand it the stock neck pickup is alright in the LQ so this is my starting point and if need be I'll purchase the Aldrich neck pickup and we'll have an outright beast :dude:

Last edited:

bl5150

Reaction score
Beautiful top on that one sheesh.

It is gorgeous .................much more grain/figuring than the one I have bought but from the few pics I have seen it seems that frehley76's one is the exception more than the rule.
I was just reading on another forum that when these came boxed from the factory that the box was stamped with "R8" which is interesting.

bl5150

Reaction score
She has arrived and overall I am very happy. A number of very small (largely imperceptible) dings here and there but , given the very thin lacquer finish it has survived it's almost 20 year life very well. It is a 2004.

Obviously the grain in mine is very subtle compared to the OP , but this is how most LQ's I have seen online look. The deep swirly grain seems to be mostly on LPS models but I am very happy with this one anyway :)

I have done my best to get a decent shot of the finish.......it's not the easiest to photograph but in person it is lovely. Much more playable for my hands vs the recent Epi 59................I had read that these LQs were chunky but to me it's more of a comfy C shape vs the 1959's more broad shouldered D. Anyway - I think it's a very playable neck shape.

It does have a lot of buzz around frets 7-8 so it's going to need a setup but outside of that the action/playability is right up there with some of my superstrat shredders , which is more my background. It's noisy/brittle on the bridge pickup as the previous owner has the pickups so close to strings (presumably to overcome the lack of punch) but yeah............I'll get my Suhr Doug Aldrich in there. The neck pickup sounds pretty good to my ears. I was all ready to order a Gibson pickguard for it but having played the guitar and felt so comfortable I am sorta inclined to leave it alone.
IMG-0435-1.jpg
IMG-0436-1.jpg
IMG-0437-1.jpg
IMG-0438-1.jpg

Last edited:

Puck Luck

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Nice grain on that top and the backside ain't so bad either. :cheers:

Mr French

Reaction score
Fellas those look like Gibson guitars with the Epiphone name on it. Breathtaking!

bl5150

Reaction score
Fellas those look like Gibson guitars with the Epiphone name on it. Breathtaking!

Thanks........to be honest , with those looks , a non weight relieved 8lb or so , R8 type specs with the lacquer finish and MIJ workmanship I am not sure anything less than a Gibson Custom Shop can touch it in terms of my taste. Aside from a setup and a little toying with pickups I can't see the need to change much at all.

Latest Threads