Epiphone LP for a Telecaster player?

wlewisiii

Reaction score
First post here, exploring the dark side :shock:

I'm fairly new to playing guitar and have been quite happy with my Squier Telecaster. That said, I'm looking at a healthy refund this year so I'm thinking that a humbucker guitar might enjoyably complement the Telecaster sound.

I'm also going to be getting a VHT Special amp so that's a consideration for tone as well.

My thoughts at present are either of these:

1) Epiphone Les Paul Jr - single pickup simplicity
2) Epiphone Les Paul 100 - looks like a decent model but what do I know?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Hi

and Welcome here at €piphone territory

:wave:

The Junior might be a nice start into €piphone,

the LP-100 isn't much 'liked' here, cause for a few $$s more you can get
a Studio, or Studio DeLuxe with a set-neck

currently one of the best Epi LPs would be this...

wlewisiii

Reaction score
Good to know about the 100. It's hard to tell from the ads at store web sites and my searches weren't getting me much.

Tribute Plus... I'll have to look into that one.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
Unless you really want a new instrument, it's likely worth checking out your used market. You can often find some decent deals on lightly used gear if you take some time and educate yourself on what you should be looking for.

To this end, make sure you check out the fake Epi thread so you know what to keep an eye out for.

Shane

chasenblues

Reaction score
Not knowing what your budget is, Its quite a jump price wise from the LP100(roughly $270 without case) to the Trib+($699.00 with a case).

If you don't mind used have you looked at your local Craigslist?

wlewisiii

Reaction score
Hmmm. That Studio model looks like a really good "split the difference" point. Especially in the Worn Cherry :hmm:

wlewisiii

Reaction score
I'd like to keep under $500 if the refund comes through as expected.

Local CL has little to nothing of interest and what is interesting is made of gold according to the sellers... bletch.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Not trying to steer you away from Epi's, But have you considered other brands of LP "styled" guitars?

(For the regulars i'm definitely NOT suggesting a Chibson)

wlewisiii

Reaction score
Not really, I don't know any of them really other than Gibson/Epiphone which I view rather like I do Fender/Squier - which is pretty positive for Epi if they're as good compared to Gibson as Squier is to Fender.

What other brands are there?

gsmacleod

Reaction score
I'd like to keep under $500 if the refund comes through as expected.

Local CL has little to nothing of interest and what is interesting is made of gold according to the sellers... bletch.

That's often the way it is around here too (and I assume most anywhere) however if you're willing to wait, you'll likely find a good deal. My last two Les Pauls I've gotten for between 50-60% of what they were new - both in immaculate condition.

Of course, there are also people looking for new or even higher than new prices for other guitars but with patience, you should be able to find a good deal.

Good luck - I'm a Tele/Les Paul guy myself - something about single cuts!

Shane

Orange Lester

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am also a telecaster and Les Paul person. I'd go with a double bucker Les Paul. Epiphone is making some very fine Lps these days. Worth a look for sure. Good Luck

IronSchef

Reaction score
Yep - I have a Squier standard Tele, 2 Squier Strats, a Squier VM Jag bass... LOVE my Squiers, and that is why I gravitated quickly to Epis when I wanted an LP.

I went with the Studio, for the set neck, plus the alnico classic HBs really rock - its is one flippin sweet guitar for $349. It certainly will give you a tone variation to your Tele as well.

JayFreddy

Reaction score
The Epiphone Studios are great guitars, and you can often find them used for $250 or less. If you can find a deal on a Tribute Plus, you may find it hard to go back to your Squier.

Welcome to the dark side. We've got cookies... ;-)

tonka.boy333

Reaction score
Personally, I'd pass on the JR and 100. You can get a new 2014, Studio Deluxe for 3 and change - a fantastically, beautiful sounding guitar for that kind of money.

Like said above though, the same money will get a Trad Pro or better on CL - if you can find them.

You'll find switching from a Tele to LP and back an interesting experience. Very gratifying!

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy the forum. After you play a nice Epiphone it will be tuff to look at your Squier again.

lassero

Reaction score
Definitely worth looking into a used Standard Plustop Pro as well, you get a lot for you money with those. Flame top, nicer pickups than regular Standard or Studio, coil splitting. With your budget you'd be able to get one new here in Europe, but I understand it's going to be a bit more expensive in the States.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
With your budget you'd be able to get one new here in Europe, but I understand it's going to be a bit more expensive in the States.

It is the other way, IMO

guitars, especially used ones always had been cheaper in the US

and there are more available than here

lassero

Reaction score
It is the other way, IMO

guitars, especially used ones always had been cheaper in the US

and there are more available than here

That's what I thought as well, but it seems a PTP would be >= $500 + taxes, whereas in here (Finland) it's under 400€, taxes included. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what it looked like at Sweetwater, Guitar Center and Sam Ash.

wlewisiii

Reaction score
Over at the Tele site, I'm getting suggesions to check out an Epiphone Dot. Anyone want to compare it with an LP? Or should I start a separate thread somewhere for that?

Latest Threads