Epiphone LP Food Chain... Guitar rankings

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Peters list is spot on apart from the fact that the best Epi is my 2005 Custom ;)

No no no... you're all wrong... my 2003 Classic Gold Top is the best - so there!

biggrin.gif

jamdogg

Reaction score
Both pickup rings on my '02 were busted like that. From what I've been told it's a common affliction on Elitists. I replaced mine, but kept the originals to preserve authenticity if I ever need to sell. I agree the price is a tad high, but I've noticed that the Elitists coming on the market right now have higher asking prices. Don't know if that's the "2015 Gibson effect," people thinking they'll sell as Christmas gifts, or more people realizing how good they are. :hmm:

You think current value is about 900 in said condition? I just dont see it going any lower.

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I do recall a piccy you posted along the lines of "pretty little goldtops, all in a row". :thumb:

I did! My Classic was in that line up too jam
thumbsup.gif

I wish I had a photo of all the Gold Tops I've done all in one group shot... but then again, eight of them might be too much to take
blink.gif

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
You think current value is about 900 in said condition? I just dont see it going any lower.

No, I don't either. I'd probably grab it at $900. :thumb: The ones I've seen lately are listed between $1000 and $1400!:wow: And that's not for goldtops either. That bunged up rim could probably be repaired pretty satisfactorily by someone who knew what he was doing.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I did! My Classic was in that line up too jam
thumbsup.gif

I wish I had a photo of all the Gold Tops I've done all in one group shot... but then again, eight of them might be too much to take
blink.gif

Here's a vid from one of our largest local shops. I know there's no Epi content, but for anyone who loves Goldtops, it'll make your heart beat a little harder! :shock: :wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1k0M1YuvrE

jamdogg

Reaction score
No, I don't either. I'd probably grab it at $900. :thumb: The ones I've seen lately are listed between $1000 and $1400!:wow: And that's not for goldtops either. That bunged up rim could probably be repaired pretty satisfactorily by someone who knew what he was doing.

That seller also has a black Elite - with broken surround. :laugh2: that one looks nice as well. I dont own a GT or a black epi. :hmm:

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all need to back off the submit button for a while and let the T+ army come in here and clean this thing up!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Parasite68

Reaction score
This is the absolute top of the food chain - however i cannot pull the trigger on this one until the price comes down a bit more.

the "One!"

That's one beautiful axe. I'm currently waiting for UPS to drop off a 2011 trad pro goldtop that I got used from GC. Something about those goldtops make heads turn!

You're right about the price though, they sure are proud of it! :))

Parasite68

Reaction score
I had a 10 lb wine red elitist studio w/burstbuckers - one of the best LPs i ever owned. Flipped it. Wish i didnt. Then i found a wine red elitist LPC - awesome player but the electronics were hosed. That guitar sold whilst i was thinking about buying it. :wow:

Lessons learned here - i should just buy that goldtop, but the big chip on the body and the warped pickup surround do not seem right @ that price.

I'm not the biggest fan of GC, and I guess that says a lot because I used to work for them and they are not known for paying employees properly...but, I found my 2011 trad pro with split coil pu's selling for $295. I could swear I saw some '57 goldtops going for $379ish and I beleive they had p90's in them.
Good luck!

Edit: it was actually a '56 gold top with p90's in it for $349 but it looks like they sold it... :(

huskerpower

Reaction score
Do the LP Specials, & LP 100's not have an arched top? It's been so long since I've touched a Special, and I was so naieve when it came to guitars back then I never paid any attention...lol

Latest Threads