Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II, what do you all think?

07rogersg

Reaction score
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II Electric Guitar, Midnig at DV247.COM

56997_l.jpg

A truly beautiful guitar, but what do you all think about the pickups?

I can't decide between The Epiphone Les Paul standard plus or the Epiphone Les Paul ultra II...

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
i am a gibson guy thru and thru. but i was genuinely impressed with the Ultra II. and i think for its price, it is a great guitar. if i had to choose between the two you listed, it would be the ultra II hands down.

07rogersg

Reaction score
Right, but is it worth the difference between the price? £270 & £400?

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Man tough one , can ya try both , that would be the thing to do IMO. That nano nano thing sounds scary to me. A fellow posted a while back that had gotten one when they (ultra II)first came out . He had to send it back and got another because the little circuit that runs it blew ,almost started a fire! But I think Epi has rectified the problem.And he has had no report back on having any problems with the replacement.
There always the reg. Ultra I suspose the Ultra II can give a person some additional sounds , I haven't played one myself nor intend to don't have a want for anything other than straight HBs in a paul.
You could do a search if you like this ? has come up quite a bit. I think in the UK you can get the black cherry on the ultras as well as black and what they call heritage sunburst. change you mind on the blue plus?

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
ultimately thats up to you.

here's my not-so-humble opinion:

i have never played an Epi LP Std that i liked. i think they are crap (puts on flame suit). i liked the Ultra II. it had nice feel and a nice sound...very gibson-esque. but, for the price ($700 US) you have entered into used Epi Elitist territory and Gibson VM territory. i havent played an Elitist, but i can testify that the Gibson VM is a sweet sounding axe (and for $699 no less!).

just my $0.02.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
& what about those pickups... What are they?
Well the HBs are Epi classic alnico neck and classic alnico + bridge the other is what?, called nanomag I forget. Its like a acoustic simulator sort a pick up from what I gather a take on those other pickups that go under bridges and saddles, only this thing is active , circuit and battery run.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Yer, it does seam a little complicated.

The guitar or deciding on which to get.:laugh2::hmm: yes it is so many different versions of model from many manufacture. Then if you decide to change pups there again what ones. :wow:
The best idea is to , if ya can get out ther and play many, the guitar usually picks the player that way. Still though you may find more than one screaming , pick me at ya.

07rogersg

Reaction score
Epiphone-Les-Paul-Ultra-II-Midnight-Ebony_6.jpg

That pickup runs on a 9v battery, so if i don't put ht battery in will it just ignore that pickup & use the other 2?

07rogersg

Reaction score
I mean if i put it to all pickups & then turn the nano off, what would happen?

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Yes I think that would be the case, you have to have the stero out put pluged in in order for the nano to be included in the out put any how . I think? I would think that with out the battery in and plugged into mono you would have the passive Hbs only. not sure never thought about em much as I say its a guitar that does not interest me. Hopefully someone that has one will drop by. well checked out the Epiphone site and on it they have a review which is more of an advert. If you haven't seen it do so explains alot an demo of sounds. The nano still works in mono seems one of the tone pots works it. Did not watch the whole vid. don't know if they talk of no battery operation. go to epi web site click on ultra II then you click on review. Thats if you have not already.

tintin

Reaction score
Well, I couldn't resist the tricky nano deal, so I nabbed one via Ebay. My kids tell me it arrived today, but I'm still at work so haven't yet seen it. Will update. BTW, anyone have any recommendations for selector switches with option of blending the nano and humbucker outputs?

tintin

Reaction score
Update. I've only had time for a couple of short sessions playing the Ultra-II. Using the Nanomag alone with the bass, treble, and gain settings in the middle of the range, it really produces a very sweet acoustic tone.

Turn the Nano to 0 and go to the humbuckers and it sounds a lot like my other Epi LP. Fret board is narrower by a touch; pick ups a bit more sensitive and responsive.

I have yet to do much in the way of blending the Nanomag with the humbuckers.

jmelch

Reaction score
The NanoMAG pickup from Shadow Electronics in Germany is a single coil active magnetic pickup that has samarium cobalt magnets. The acoustic sound is partially accomplished by the fact the body is chambered and is almost like a semi-hollow body. The pickup is in an ideal place, nearest to the center of the strings to get the richest sound from the strings. It does a pretty good acoustic sound. Here is a youtube of the GW review. YouTube - Epiphone Ultra 2 Les Paul

tintin

Reaction score
Ya. The tone of the guitar sounds more acoustic-like than a full solid body LP when playing the humbuckers, especially using the neck pick up with medium tone, ISTM, anyway.

Latest Threads