Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus-Can i sound like Gilmour

dayman

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I love pink floyd and lately i have been listening to them a lot. The song i want to learn by the is shine on you crazy diamond. of course, Gilmour used a strat always but i was wondering, do you think i could get a good gilmour sound using the coil tapping feature on my les paul tribute plus? I was looking on craigslist and i can get a mexican strat for like 250 so i was thinking of just doing that if not. Let me know what you guys think. Also the amp i have is a vox vt20+ so keep that in mind. Thanks guy i appreciate your feedback!

chasenblues

Reaction score
Although he didn't use a LP for Crazy Diamond he did(and still does) use one for other Floyd(And solo material) tunes..I have a Trib+ and it actually is a "Coil Cut" not "Coil Tapping"(There is a difference)..In either case they don't sound very "Strat" like so you may want think about keeping an eye out for a Strat if those are the tones you're looking for.

55 Les Paul Goldtop

David’s perhaps most famous Les Paul is his 1955 Goldtop. This was used to record several guitar parts on The Wall and most notably the solo on Another Brick in the Wall (part 2). David would also use the guitar on the The Wall tour in 1980-81 while performing Happiest Days of Our Lives, occasionally the Another Brick 2 solo switching from the Black Strat used on the rhythm parts, One of My Turns and Last Few Bricks.

davidsgear_lespaulgoldtop.jpg

"(left) David pictured during the latter part of the Wall tour with the 1955 Goldtop. (right) A second Gold Top, this one is a 1956 featuring a Bigsby tremolo bridge as seen at Royal Albert Hall, London, UK, 30 May 2006."

rem22

Reaction score
To me he has a complex sound with a lot of effects.
You should use the split position (neck for Another brick solo for example, vs bridge for Comfortably N....)...and a very good preset on your vt20+.

chasenblues

Reaction score
You should use the split position (neck for Another brick solo for example, vs bridge for Comfortably N....)...and a very good preset on your vt20+.

Its still not going to sound like the neck pickup on a Strat on "Crazy Diamond" that he asked about.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1
At least it will get you in the territory without getting a Strat a new amp, a handful of modulation pedals and last - but definitely not least - David Gilmours fingers.

sunnydog

Reaction score
IMO do not worry about what guitar you use to play anything.
Its all good , if you can come close to what an artist is doing (feel )
go for it and enjoy.

You are not D.G. you do not have access to his gear and studio, producer etc.
so ....
even if you could sound exactly the same what would be the point...

Doesn't matter if a Strat is used to play stuff recorded with a Paul and vice-a versa.
Getting the feel and point across is what matters and the more you put you, into all of your playing all the better.

Be you, cause you aren't _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Nick-O

Reaction score
I have played it successfully with P90s. I would say dial in your amp the best you can and enjoy what you are playing. It is music.
If you need note for note perfection, get a strat with some D Allens in it and 3 much needed pedals...
But it is better to get into what you are playing and make it yours.

sunnydog

Reaction score
How come no one wants to get that Snowy White sound LOL he does a good job on that song with his Les Paul
Cheers

ricksepilp

Reaction score
IMO do not worry about what guitar you use to play anything.
Its all good , if you can come close to what an artist is doing (feel )
go for it and enjoy.

You are not D.G. you do not have access to his gear and studio, producer etc.
so ....
even if you could sound exactly the same what would be the point...

Doesn't matter if a Strat is used to play stuff recorded with a Paul and vice-a versa.
Getting the feel and point across is what matters and the more you put you, into all of your playing all the better.

Be you, cause you aren't _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This is so true! Just play stuff and have a good time doing it............

VGA

Reaction score
How come no one wants to get that Snowy White sound LOL he does a good job on that song with his Les Paul
Cheers

Could be because, as great as Snowy White is, he can't match Gilmour. Listening to Roger Waters live is almost painful as the emotions Dave puts into his playing is absent.

And so nobody is ever going to sound like Gilmour except Gilmour.

But to reply to the OP. If you're on a limited budget, you may want to look at used Squiers. Some of them are really good.

Epi rocks

Reaction score
Pick up your guitar, turn on your amp, close your eyes and play what you feel. Your own tone will come out. Make your mark.

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I love pink floyd and lately i have been listening to them a lot. The song i want to learn by the is shine on you crazy diamond. of course, Gilmour used a strat always but i was wondering, do you think i could get a good gilmour sound using the coil tapping feature on my les paul tribute plus? I was looking on craigslist and i can get a mexican strat for like 250 so i was thinking of just doing that if not. Let me know what you guys think. Also the amp i have is a vox vt20+ so keep that in mind. Thanks guy i appreciate your feedback!

In short, I would say sure. It doesn't take much to get "close enough" IMHO.
You can do a lot with an LP that has coil tapping. I would take that for Floyd sounds (or other) than being limited to JUST and only a Strat.

The Vox VT20+ has everything you need too. Set the amp to American Blues, the Reverb to Hall and all the way up, and put the Phaser modulation on.

You're good to go.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-MTmh-4D4[/ame]

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if Gilmour used his LP on "Mother" for the solo? Sometimes I think so and other times I'm scratching my head! :hmm:

chasenblues

Reaction score
Anybody know if Gilmour used his LP on "Mother" for the solo? Sometimes I think so and other times I'm scratching my head! :hmm:

According to the linked Gilmour site,

"Mother"

studio
Acoustic steel string guitar
Stratocaster, bridge pickup
– rhythm/verse; acoustic guitar (played by Roger Waters ?)
– rhythm/chorus-section; acoustic guitar (played by David Gilmour ?)
– solo; Muff and Electric Mistress

live
Stratocaster, bridge pickup
– random picking (verse sections); clean signal with Electric Mistress
– solo; Muff, Electric Mistress and mild delay
Note: Although the Yamaha rotating speakers was on for most songs, it’s a dominating effect during the solo."

The WallSettings and setups |

classicbronco

Reaction score
Could be because, as great as Snowy White is, he can't match Gilmour. Listening to Roger Waters live is almost painful as the emotions Dave puts into his playing is absent.

And so nobody is ever going to sound like Gilmour except Gilmour.

But to reply to the OP. If you're on a limited budget, you may want to look at used Squiers. Some of them are really good.

Snowy is a better guitar player IMO, and that is certainly no knock on David Gilmour. Obviously when playing Gilmour's parts, he is not going to sound like Gilmour or play them as well as the man who created them in his own style. As you said, nobody is going to sound like Gilmour except Gilmour.

Snowy's guitar playing on his many White Flames albums and solo works is second to none. A true master of tones and "touch" on the guitar.

His second solo (8:40) here is one of my all time favorites, in both tone and composition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6iE9VxTh54

Latest Threads