Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus (2012) RAVE N' REVIEW

Joe Sixpack

Reaction score
Just purchased a recent Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus (2012 model) and would like to share my first impressions here.

I'm blown away. I can't upload any pictures or videos at the moment but this guitar blows every other Epiphone I've ever played or heard out of the water - and that's actually been quite a few since I first picked up a guitar 20 years ago.

If you are looking into buying a Les Paul in that price range, don't hesitate, they don't get any better.

WOOD: Solid mahogany body, hard maple cap and AAA flame maple veneer (actual veneer, no photo finish, wouldn't rate it AAA but still very nice looking though), 24.75" scale mahogany hand set-in neck (joint extending into pickup cavity), rosewood (real actual rosewood, not the somewhat rosewood fake crap) fretboard with 12" radius and 22 jumbo frets. The neck is a bit thin for my liking but it plays and feels great. The crown inlays are pearloid and the Epiphone logo is actual MOP! Flawless finish but poor color options unfortunately. Midnight Ebony looked (and felt) the best to me so I took that one home.

ELECTRONICS: Gibson USA '57 Classic (neck), Gibson USA '57 Classic (bridge) - that's actually real american made Gibson pickups there, underneath they say "Patent Applied For" and it's the super rare 4-conducter version!!! Compared them to an aftermarket Gibson PU and they are indentical, it's the real thing, not "Epiphone by Gibson" but actual Gibson pickups....push/pull tone controls for single coil sounds...Mallory-150 Tone Capacitors....high end toggle switch, not the cheap stuff. The bridge pickup sounds like Jimmy Page meets Slash. For the neck pickup....think Robbie Krieger meets Duane Allman, perfect for blues and slides and creamy leads, just lacking a little air but nothing that couldn't be fixed with an EQ or taking off the cover.

HARDWARE: Locktone bridge and tailpiece, these don't fall off when you change strings...Grover Locking Tuners, saw them on one of Jimmy Page's Les Pauls so they are good enough for me lol...also straplocks and a case are included.

I don't care if it was made Made in China, this is as good as a guitar gets. Keep making your fancy out of the box lifestyle toys for rich kids and old men Gibson. I just want a GUITAR and this Epiphone delivers big time.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

g8tr

Elitist Club Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just what I'VE been waiting for. Glad someone has one in their hands!

brhokla

Reaction score
I bet it is very good. I had the 1959 and it was an excellent guitar. I think they are getting better and better. i'd like to play one. Nice review

sasquatch

Reaction score
Sounds to me like I should start saving...or get one put on layaway.
Awesome review - Thanks!

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yup.

If someone can't make a good Epiphone sound good, it's not the guitars fault.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Reaction score
I've had one on backorder for the last month. Hopefully it will be here in the next couple of weeks. One correction on your specs though--the bridge pickup is a '57+.

crackhead

Reaction score
That sounds like a great guitar, and you get a lot of features included for only $599...which makes me wonder, where did they skimp and save a few bucks? I'm guessing the electronics(pots, caps) are not up to par, along with the cheap bridge and plastic nut, all easily correctible.

Hammer97e

Reaction score
It is a great guitar, if you can find one. I let one slip through my hands and kicked myself for doing it. Finally gave up searching for another one and came across a 1960 Tribute for a little more, so all is good and I am happy. Pots and nut are on my list to upgrade very soon. Price is more than fair for one your get.

kristof_w

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to buying this one too, but they seem pretty hard to get your hands on ... My guitar store said "the Tribute Plus is a bit of a niche guitar, so we don't know when we'll be getting any stock in" :)

Now show us some pics please !!! :wow:

chairman79

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to buying this one too, but they seem pretty hard to get your hands on ... My guitar store said "the Tribute Plus is a bit of a niche guitar, so we don't know when we'll be getting any stock in" :)

Now show us some pics please !!! :wow:
I would question the knowledge of any music store rep who called this a niche guitar. For $600 you get arguably the best LP that Epiphone makes with a case. Its a great guitar whether you get the new "plus" or the original run with the plain tops.

gedto

Reaction score
I have the 2010 Tribute since December and it is a wonder of a guitar.

Unfortunately, the day before I was to pick it up at the store, their display shelf fell down and several guitars were badly damaged... Including mine, with a broken neck.

I took it home repaired and glued while waiting for a new one to ship from Epiphone to the store... And still has not arrived. More than three months in the wait, they claim there are being issues with wood and manufacturing and that it should finally arrive next week... But if it does not I will return it and get the new Plus version... That also got a lower price recently. I prefer the single piece plain top, but the wait is killing me. At least I get to play the repaired one. And let me say that even with a broken and glued neck it sounds great!!

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute 2010 by gedto, on Flickr

Les Paul Tribute Case by gedto, on Flickr

Les Paul Tribute 2010 by gedto, on Flickr

Last pic is from NGD, it even had the plastic stickers on the pup covers!

NU9

Reaction score
I just noticed. The official pics from Epi show hat top knobs, instead of the speed knobs they actually come with.

Epiphone - As-Good-As-It-Gets-
I don't remember seeing stock Tributes with top hat knobs, even though they advertise it like that. I changed mine to gold top hats and it looks great (see my user pic).

muckypup

Reaction score
Got my Tribute plus a while back. It has fantastic tone, especially through a decent valve amp (Blackstar Ht-5R).

The stock bridge though is rubbish. Mine buzzed like a chainsaw. Took it back to the shop who "fixed" it with superglue :shock:

Anyhow, as the shop was 60 miles away, I couldn't be bothered to fuss so I ordered a Gotoh bridge (and a lightweight aluminium tailpiece as well while I was at it). Comparing the old bridge with wobbly saddles to the Gotoh one which is much more meaty and really solid I realised how crap the stock one is. It was a straight swap, and even setting the intonation only took a few minutes. It has removed all buzzing from the bridge and everything just feels "tighter".

I think as the tribute plus is supposed to be a high end version they really should have put a better bridge on in the factory.

Still, I would recommend the upgrade to anyone. Takes seconds.

Steve

PenMan09

Reaction score
Hi Joe, welcome to mlp and happy NGD, also to the Tribute club, I am sure loving mine, it really is a great guitar for the money. I even drove to a GC two hours away to pick mine up as my local store did not have one, totally worth it. The only problem I had was the intonation was off a little, changed the strings that came on it and now it is almost perfect.

Vladimir

Reaction score
Hi guys,cool guitars :D Is there a difference in tone,weight,sustain...between the 2010 tribute,1960 tribute and the 1960 tribute plus?
Thanks....