Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro

Donaldj

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, so to start I would like to say thank you to all of you, and I look forward to reading the posts and learning from all of you.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro that I really like (call me strange, but I love the rounded, fuller profile of the back of the neck). Anyway, my guitar has feet buzz when I fret the low E string at the fifth fret. There is no buzz on any other fret. Do any of you have advice on how I can fix this? Thank you, and I look forward to reading your replies.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Welcome to MLP maybe that fret is a little higher thanthe others.-Maybe it needs some filing?

Donaldj

Reaction score
Thank you, I really appreciate your response.
I may give that a try. I really love the feel of the neck on this guitar. That’s the main reason I would like to get the fret buzz fixed. It has become my favorite.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Epis are nice I have one -if the fret still buzzes take it down to a shop or luthier and have them give it a look :D

DrBGood

Reaction score
Look for a high fret in that area. Use a credit card edge to cover 3 frets and look for the one that rocks a little. If one is high as I suspect, tap it gently with a hammer. Use a piece of wood (a small hard wood dowel is good for that) between fret and hammer head as not to damage the fret.

s-l300.jpg

I fixed most of the high frets on several Epiphone that way.

Street Lethal

Reaction score
Use a credit card or a fret rocker and check the 6th fret low E to see if it's high. If it is try slipping the corner of a piece of paper underneath it and if you can then the fret is lifted. You can use a rubber impact mallet to tap a fret down. Obviously get the strings out of the way before you start tapping frets. If you smash a string into the fret you will have more problems.
Give the fret a firm tap on the area that is high and come straight down and directly on top of it but don't pound on it. Only tap once and recheck, if it's still high give it another single tap, and check it. Again don't pound on it...there's no need to slam down on it. Only issue with this process is there is a risk of tapping a fret and it winds up sitting lower than the frets on either side of it, especially if the other frets near it are slightly lifted and don't want to reseat. I had this happen to me years ago. Then you have a nice little project on your hands.

If it's high but you can't get a piece of paper underneath it then the fret will probably have to be filed and recrowned. If you're not comfortable with any of this take it to a experienced guitar tech.

Rubber impact mallet:

I used that same mallet (black rubber end) to tap down two lifted frets on my 50's Standard.

I know some luthiers will use a brass dead blow hammer to tap frets but believe it or not I have seen brass hammers dent or mark up frets, even though they aren't supposed to.

Last edited:

Donaldj

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all of your advice and suggestions. I may try to find luthier or guitar technician to help me with this. Again, many thanks!

Sybo

Reaction score
Bought a Trad Pro III in BLUE and it needed a fret level and its now WONDERFUL!! Best of luck.

Donaldj

Reaction score
Thanks very much to all of you for your advice. I used a credit card and found that the 6th fret is high at the low E string. I will probably take it to a luthier. I am afraid I may only make things worse if I try to do the repair myself. Again, many thanks!

Sybo

Reaction score
J.S. Bogdanovich Guitars.
They have a “ Buzz off” kit that worked GREAT for me!

JMP

Reaction score
As others have indicated, Epiphones are great guitars, but they generally need some fret work. Have a luthier do a good fret level and crown job and a setup. Your guitar will be transformed into an awesome instrument.

wmachine

Reaction score
Epis are nice I have one -if the fret still buzzes take it down to a shop or luthier and have them give it a look :D
I still have my EPI Ttad Pro I bought new in 2015. It is a solid player. Setup was not bad, but I took it to my tech for a setup anyway, and that really made it perfect, as long as you like the slim taper neck. Couldn't believe how much improvement there was. Still like it.

Latest Threads