Epiphone Les Paul Traditional PRO-III Plus

Presence

Reaction score
"Reserve Today! Expected to Ship 09-21-2018"
$699

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-traditional-pro-iii-plus-limited-edition-electric-guitar?rNtt=Epiphone les paul traditional&index=1

OVERVIEW
Traditional looks with modern tech.

From the stunning flame maple top to the Made-in-USA Gibson '57 Classic and Super '57 zebra pickups, this Epiphone is all Les Paul. With advanced electronics features coil split, boost and phase on push/pull control pots, this limited-edition guitar delivers an impressive tonal range and remarkable playability.

FEATURES
  • Gloss-finish solid mahogany body with flame maple top
  • 24.75"-scale mahogany neck with 22-fret, 12"-radius rosewood fingerboard
  • U.S.-made Gibson Super '57 and '57 Classic zebra pickups with coil split and boost, 3-way pickup selector
  • Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece, Grover Rotomatic tuners
Order your limited-edition Les Paul Traditional Pro-III today.

Last edited:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Pass.

Ordered a gold top Epi Traditional Pro a few years back from MF on a SDOTD for $299 regular price $399.

20180130_132929_LLS.jpg

Last year ordered a desert burst Epi
Traditional Pro II from MF on you guessed it a SDOTD for $329 regular price $499.

20180124_111105.jpg

Now the Trad Pro III for $699... nope.

For that money a nice used Gibson or two of the older model Epi Pros can be easily had.

Interesting that Gibson had been raising the specs on Epiphones over the past few years to a point that now makes it impossible to justify Nashville prices IMHO.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
all 4 trad pro units i've bought were off of sdotd, for $299 with
free shipping.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
free shipping.

What colors? Kicking myself for not adding black to the collection at those prices.

Used ones on CL/Fleabay go for more.

LSAR

Reaction score
It's got Gibson pickups, and it isn't on clearance...so you're not about to see it selling for $299. It's also got the plus instead of plain top or solid color thing going on and I'm pretty sure it's been a little while since the first run trad pro's were popping up at those prices. Pretty much everything has gone up in that time, as it always has.

Compare the price to the Tribute plus...what am I missing?

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Compare the price to the Tribute plus...what am I missing?

$700 for a MIC Epi is ridiculous.

Again for that money you can get two minty older Trad Pros or a really nice used MIA Studio.

free shipping.

As mentioned above they were easily had for around $300 just a few years back. Every month MF put them on SDOTD. No "Gibson pickups" but the Probuckers are excellent.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2013/Take-the-Epiphone-ProBucker-Challenge.aspx

They've jacked the regular price from $400 to $700 on this model line in the past few years.

Legal bills I guess....:hmm:

sasquatch

Reaction score
>Tariff's right around the corner< wait on it USA
enjoy your currently cheap Chinese products

Legal bills I guess....:hmm:
Yea, something like that.
Will be double the price before too long.

LSAR

Reaction score

Again for that money you can get two minty older Trad Pros or a really nice used MIA Studio.

I guess we disagree.

I think $700 new or used for half of what Gibson's put out the last few years is ridiculous (there's absolutely exceptions), and I'd gladly pay $700 for a new Epi with Gibson pickups. The price you could get a lesser-spec'd preceding model for a few years ago on clearance has absolutely no bearing on the value of a new, upgraded model a few years later when prices have gone up on nearly all models. I'd be confident ordering an unseen Epi and knowing manufacturing and QC are likely to be as consistent as they've always proven to be for me. I can't say the same of Gibson. Plus, around these parts if someone's willing to let a used Studio go for below $1300 (CAD) it's probably stolen.

UTGrad

Reaction score
I wonder if it will have the baseball bat neck like the Trad Pro II. Listed specs for the Trad Pro II were a slim taper neck but it was anything but slim.

jamhandy

Reaction score
I just got a 2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, with an Epiphone Les Paul case off of my local Craigslist for $150 !!! -- I couldn't drive to the guy's house fast enough to throw cash money at him, LOL... Its got a few dings and bumps, bangs and scratches... in other words, its just like me.

For about $50 bucks, I bought all the guts (except for pickups) from The Art of Tone (shameless plug, no affiliation except extremely happy customer https://theartoftone.com/ )... which included 2 x new CTS 500k long shaft push/pull pots (for volume coil splits), 2 x new CTS 500k long shaft pots (for tones), Switchcraft jack, Switchcraft toggle switch, braided wire, Gavitt push back wire, 2 x 0.022uF orange drops... For a few bucks more I bought black speed knobs (on another site) (the original top hats were just too close to the body to push/pull with any speed... also why I went with long shaft pots)... it was missing a strap button, so I got some Dunlop style buttons for a strap lock style (also from another site)... annnnnd... the guys had lost the pickguard (somehow) so I bought an Epiphone Les POaul pickguard (my first buy was one for a Gibson, which by the way, doesn't fit... the hole by the fretboard is off by a teent bit so it is impossible to make fit)... the Epi LP pickguard was cheap...

I think the speed knobs were like $8, the strap lock buttons were like $4, and the second pickguard was about $10... So, $50 (guts) and $22 for odd parts, and $150 for the guitar and case... (tap-tap-tap on the calculator) ... so $222 for a Epi LP Trad Pro, with totally upgraded guts... and an Epi hard case....

Or, GC has your choice of color on sale right now (11-15-18) (minus the upgraded guts...) for $299.99 (I was just trying to convince a pawn shop to do a lay-a-way for me on a gold top Epi LP Tr5ad Pro for $339.99, with chipped knobs... right now I can get a brand new one for $299.99 at GC, some kind of Christmas sale thingy)
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Traditional-PRO-III-Electric-Guitar.gc#productDetail

Or, I might change my mind before I get all this wired together, and I'll do 2 x more new CTS 500k long shaft push/pulls, and do a 50s Jimmy Page wiring set up, gives off 22 different tones... this guy has an awesome how-to step-by-step video on this wiring...

I think I am going to order the two extra 500k push/pulls today, LOL... that's another $14 on the art of tone page...

https://theartoftone.com/pair-2x-ct...3-4-split-shaft-audio-taper-pot-10-tolerance/

so that would bring my total cash outlay of $236, plus my time to put in blood, sweat, tears, cussing, and swearing to wire it all together... :)

If you do go for the better CTS push/pulls over your stock Epiphone pots, notice that there is 2 different kinds of push/pulls out there (maybe more)... there are the Alpha (brand) push pull pots which have 6 x small lugs on the side for the switch for wiring... or (the ones I'm using) are CTS (brand) push/pull pots which have 6 small holes on the side of the pot which you have to push the wires into then solder the wires into these holes... there is a break down of the differences and which goes whwre on the StewMac web page here (first diagram on this link):
https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...Wiring/Wiring_the_CTS_DPDT_Push-Pull_Pot.html

The Art of Tone guy has the same pots, and a better price than StewMac... pretty much almost everything I have checked on StewMac is more expensive than where you can research and find parts on other web sites. (Wires, pots, switches, jacks...).

Also, for what its worth, CTS pots use a 3/8" hole through the guitar, so that needs to be drilled out before installing CTS pots in an Epiphone. Annnnnd... the splines on the pots are different between your Epiphone pots and CTS pots. Epi pots have COARSE splines, and are smaller in diameter, the CTS pots have FINE splines and take a larger hole in the knob.

GuitarElectronics carries both coarse and fine splined knobs for a decent price (for Strats, too)...
https://guitarelectronics.com/parts-hardware/guitar-bass-knobs/plastic-guitar-bass-knobs/

The same folks also carry metal knobs if you choose to go with solid-shaft pots:
https://guitarelectronics.com/parts-hardware/guitar-bass-knobs/metal-guitar-bass-knobs/

(and they have knobs for concentric pots, too...)

I was also able to get a pair of Dunlop-style strap lock buttons there for $4.49 so I didn't need to buy a whole new $20+ Dunlop system to use my current Dunlop straplocked strap one this guitar...
https://guitarelectronics.com/strap-button-set-for-dunlop-strap-lock-system-nickel-2/

You can also get gold or black of the same, and they carry the complete systems, as well as partsa for the Shaller-style strap lockers...
https://guitarelectronics.com/parts-hardware/strap-buttons-strap-locks/

Happy to share my research... it took me days and hours to find all this stuff...

Enjoy...

Last edited:

jamhandy

Reaction score
ps. Just ordered 2 more CTS 500k long shafts from The Art of Tone (TAOT) guy (shipped were $16.04 from TAOT guy...)... gonna go with the 50s style Jimmy Page wiring after all... (see YouTube in previous post above)

howardlo

Reaction score
The limited edition Epi Traditional Pro-III Plus LP's are in the new GC Black Friday ad for $499. Ad just arrived today.

wmachine

Reaction score

I was just going to bring this up. The OP post is about the "Plus". Big difference between the "Plus" and the non-plusses being discussed here.
So the real question is. "Is the Plus worth that much more?" $699 vs. $299 (on sale now). If my 2014 Trad Pro is any indication, no, I can't believe it is worth that much more.

Seems that EPI is starting to push more expensive models.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
same here. can't justify that big of a price difference, when taking my trad pros into consideration.
not at the $699 price point, anyway.

jamhandy

Reaction score
My first thought about the more expensive Epi's is... kinda like a woman putting on extra make-up... it doesn't change what is really in her heart...

I don't know how many guitars in the last 10-20 years have been made with a tiny, thin veneer of "flame maple" to increase the sell-ability... for the same $700 in my pocket, I'd be looking through the "used" section at places like Guitar Center, or my favorite all time music store "Motor City Guitar" in Waterford, Michigan. Marty (the owner) takes in trades everyday and has a huge stock of awesome used instrument of all flavors.

Plus, life on a teeny little disability check from Social Security these days, I could maybe save up some and buy a cash-money $300 guitar, priced down where us working people can afford them. I'd have to either go without or put one on layaway to catch a deal on a $700 while the deal is going on. If I were to try to save up to buy one cash, the sale will be gone before the cash would be in hand. I'm glad these companies are willing to make affordable guitars for the rest of us. I've had my days in my younger years when I was working, making really good cash, and I've had some fantastic instruments folks in India would be shocked what I paid for them (India is mostly in poverty...)...

I was thrilled to find a used Epipjone LP Trad Pro for $150, with the Epi hard case on the Craigslist. It added a lot of happiness to my life. With a small bit of money here, and a small bit of money there, I can transform the guts of that guitar into something very respectable. So, it might not have "Paul Reed Smith tone wood" but the guitar is mine, and I can play around with it all I want... and its paid for. Its not on a VISA card.

jamhandy

Reaction score
From what I understand, the concept of selling the same or very similar product at all different price points is or was originally a Japanese business concept. In some ways its kind of genius in a way. I first saw this in action back in the late 70s, early 80s when the BOSS pedals first hit the market. They didn't have just one distortion, one overdrive, one flanger, one phaser, they had the cheaper one that was at one price point, then another model of the same thing for a few dollars more, then the super exclusive way more priced (haha) model that did almost the same thing, but for a few dollars more.

Who would have thought in the 1960s or 70s that companies like Marshall or Orange would one day be producing amps all the way from a double 4x12 stack with a 100 watt head, down to a dinky little amp that would fit in the palm of your hand that runs on batteries...(?)

In Economics, the market can get saturated with one product type, and products will find a peak performance in the ever so quoted "supply and demand"... so manufacturing companies have to come up with the "new and improved" laundry detergent... which does the exact same thing, for $1 more...

Whether the "new and improved" version is worth an extra dollar remains to be seen, and tested in the field by consumers. The company might even do short supplies on certain models of goods to test the market and test models to see if they sell or don't sell. Do you think that "points value" card just about every retailer hands out these days are really to get you points toward this or that purchase? I have a whole wallet full of bonus cards. Everytime your swipe or have the bar code on these cards scanned you somehow gain "points" towards some kind of another purchase. But what it really does is tell the retailer's database that this many of that many of a certain product has sold at this particular retailer's location. Here in Florida the Speedway gas stations have them, the Flash Foods gas stations do, the O'Reily's Auto Parts does, all the grocery stores have them. Not sure if any of the guitar stores use the concept, but simply by buying goods on the Internet, they can create a database of which items sell and which do not. Gibson issues "limited edition" guitars all the time in some kind of research attempt at seeing what the market will buy. In 1958 they came out with a Flying V which might have been light years ahead of its time... today I can't imagine one guitar store not having at least one Flying V on hand...

Kudos for companies who learned how to beat the hell out of a guitar at the factory, then tag it with about $2,000 more dollars, then sell it as a "relic" guitar. No way in hell I'd ever buy one, but it was and is a genius of marketing to create something like that... haha. My 1980 Gibson Les Paul Artisan was a graduation gift to me in 1980, and it is completely relic-ed... my me, and not by Gibson... and I am proud ever every dent, scrape, and how all the finish is now worn off the back of the neck.

Latest Threads