epiphone les paul standard wiring question

Eball92

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've been looking to put 50s wiring in my lp for a while now, but i like to do some research before I do anything.
Keep in mind this is just a plain top standard with regular epi pups (not probuckers) and no push pull pots.heres a picture of my control cavity:

Now that connector coming from the pickup control seems odd to me?

I tried looking up schemetics for 2hb, 2 vol, 2 tone, 3 way on seymour duncans website but it comes up with 2 options, parrellel/series or phaser.

Which one do I have? Im assumung the first? Why arent the pups just wired to the back of the pots? When I pot 50s style witing in will I have to cut that connector off and solder the pups right to the pots?

Probably a noob quesion but hey...Im a noob :thumb:

Thanks guys!

danlee0502

Reaction score
Hey there!

If you are just changing the wiring from what it is now a standard Epi wiring. Then all you have to do is some minor solder work and you can leave the rest in tact.

Here is a diagram of your current set up:
ChineseLesPaulWiring_zps7505db28.jpg

Here is a diagram of a 50's style wiring:
ScreenShot2014-09-17at122817AM_zps7ac0c7d5.png

So first (of course) take out the capacitors and the two wires connecting tone and volume at the bottom.

Here is a image to show you which ones but As I can't really see too clearly I'm just guessing these are the right ones. But a guild line for to make a point:
20140916_211743_zpsbwlhqyr_edit_1410926477058_zps252a9411.jpg

Now ground the middle lug of the Tone. (bend the lug and solder, OR, use a short wire)

Now solder the capacitors in place according to the diagram of 50's

Nothing else needs to be rewired, Just make you the other wires are intact when you solder as they might become unattached as the solder melts.

**also You probably would need new capacitors, the ones on there would be too short to reach i think. IF you do my suggestion is to get a .15uF for the neck and .22uF for the bridge . I personally prefer PIOs Hope this helps.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connector seems to connect the wires to the 3 way switch.
The wires from the pickups are shielded. The shield is grounded on the back of the pot, the lead goes to a lug on the pot.

Did you have a look at this thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/558-wiring-library.html

Edit:
Oh forget it - Danlee beat me to it with the full explanation :)

Lutherie

Reaction score
Yes the connector goes to the 3 way switch. You can like danlee pointed out just move the cap over but remember to keep ground all the pot cases.
Or you can got the more popular way of taking the whole thing out and put in some fresh CTS pots Switchcraft switch and jack and 0.22 PIO or orange drops caps.
Your pickups have only one live wire and ground so you would be best of with "normal" 50's wiring without any splitting/phasing aso.

Here is a picture of one I did.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Yes the connector goes to the 3 way switch. You can like danlee pointed out just move the cap over but remember to keep ground all the pot cases.
Or you can got the more popular way of taking the whole thing out and put in some fresh CTS pots Switchcraft switch and jack and 0.22 PIO or orange drops caps.
Your pickups have only one live wire and ground so you would be best of with "normal" 50's wiring without any splitting/phasing aso.

Here is a picture of one I did.

You did a very nice job. Why do you run a ground to the top of each pot? I have seen it before and just never asked till now.

56GT

Reaction score
You did a very nice job. Why do you run a ground to the top of each pot? I have seen it before and just never asked till now.

It's a continuous ground, and that's how it should be done, as opposed to creating multiple ground loops... :)

56GT

Reaction score
I'm inspired, and now I'm off to rewire my Standard - the Korean factory used linear taper pots for volume, and audio taper pots for tone! :laugh2:
The values are all over the place too - 425k ohms to 515k ohms !
Of course all the pots I have in my parts bin are the wrong type/value - thanks, you guys are making me spend money...

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
You don't need to desolder your caps or anything like that. You just move the wire going from the tone pots to the middle lug of the volume pots. Done, put the cover back on and play.

danlee0502

Reaction score
I'm inspired, and now I'm off to rewire my Standard - the Korean factory used linear taper pots for volume, and audio taper pots for tone! :laugh2:
The values are all over the place too - 425k ohms to 515k ohms !
Of course all the pots I have in my parts bin are the wrong type/value - thanks, you guys are making me spend money...

My Edwards also had liner in Vol and Audio in Tone... weird so I switched it around recently... maybe somewhere down the line something or someone mistranslated :laugh2:

Eball92

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, this is making a little more sense to me now, espeically with that diagram of the stock wiring, which I couldnt find for some reason? I got it now at least, thanks! :thumb:

Im gonna order all new pots, a switch and caps from Jonesy when I can and drop those in, Im sure it'll help even with the stock pups, from what I hear, good or bad pots can make or break a guitars sound

Lutherie

Reaction score
And getting a working tone pot realy helps when playing around. But yes quality wiring and pickup adjustment bring the best out of the stock pups.

danlee0502

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, this is making a little more sense to me now, espeically with that diagram of the stock wiring, which I couldnt find for some reason? I got it now at least, thanks! :thumb:

Im gonna order all new pots, a switch and caps from Jonesy when I can and drop those in, Im sure it'll help even with the stock pups, from what I hear, good or bad pots can make or break a guitars sound

you could also save some bus ordering NOS russion Pios of ebay. Ships to Toronto fairly quick.

Latest Threads