Epiphone Les Paul Standard upgrades...

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster - just wanted to say thanks to the community for such great tips and content over the years, it’s helped me tremendously through this project and others. I recently traded a Yamaha accoustic of for this epi LP standard and after playing it a few weeks, I just couldn’t quite get the sound that I was looking for. My first thought was coil split and add new pots/caps but then I started hunting for replacement pups in addition. The Neck had a really murky Epi chrome cover pickup and the bridge was a very hot (15k) Zebra, mystery pickup, that the owner wasn’t even sure of the history on, as this guitar was relatively new to him. Either way, I was looking for more traditional/classic LP sounds and got the kids to bed Saturday night and went to work With the soldering iron. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the zebra mystery bridge pup was an EVH (which I’m saving for another project), and While I was originally hunting for some Seymour Duncan’s, I came across some Burstbuckers (1&2) via Craigslist for $100, and just couldn’t pass that up. Long story short, the photos tell the story - my soldering job is abysmal, but I had about an hour to do everything since our neighbors were having a huge party and it was only a matter of time before they woke my girls up. All in all, it was a lot of fun, i threw in a tusq (my go to nut of choice) and the burstbuckers have way exceeded my expectations. I’d do it again in a heartbeat and am really loving the outcome - this LP standard has really morphed in to a tone machine. I’m playing with the pickup heights now (the neck can be a little boomy on the low end, but Otherwise it’s very warm and the bridge is just a sizzler - what a fun player)!

Attachments

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Congrats! :welcome: to My Les Paul!
Thank you - it was a fun journey for sure - I can’t seem to leave well-enough alone with my guitars, so I’m already looking at tulip locking tuners next ;). Either way, it’s very fun to play and the sound has transformed so much with just the simple pickup change - night and day difference for sure!

BKS

Reaction score
:welcome:
Nice looking guitar too.

Tdurden032

Reaction score
:welcome:
Nice looking guitar too.
Thank you!! I have a black Gibson LP Custom too, that I don’t play nearly as much as I should - I got this one just to be my “beater” and loved the color - it’s transformed in to something truly special...

DrBGood

Reaction score
Beautiful rich dark burst ! You did good I'd say.

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Beautiful rich dark burst ! You did good I'd say.
Thankyou!! The “seller” was a great guy, he was just done with electrics and wanted to go acoustic - I’ve been there before myself, but I’m back to electric and this trade I just couldn’t pass up

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Nice!

Welcome to the forum!!
Thank you - it’s taken me forever to join up, I just had some down time today and took the leap since I finally had something to share (the “build journey”). I appreciate everyone’s insight over the years - it’s given me the roadmap to give the upgrades a try - lots of fun for sure and a great experience!

rbraad68

Reaction score
nice man!! :slash::welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :slash:

how do you like the burst busters? thinking about finding a set my self.

Tdurden032

Reaction score
nice man!! :slash::welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :slash:

how do you like the burst busters? thinking about finding a set my self.
Thank you!!
If you’re in the market for burstbuckers, I can’t recommend these highly enough. The BB1 in the neck is super warm (clean mids/highs, etc., it has you covered). The BB2 in the bridge is great for articulate leads/solos, any sort of classic rock crunch, it also has great tone. The Alnico 2’s (I think?) are part of the secret sauce in these - I’ve even been able to replicate acoustic sounds with both neck and bridge too (I have two small kids that aren’t great sleepers, so I use irig and tonebridge with headphones a lot at night on the rare occasion that I can sneak off and jam).
I’ve been playing with the pickup and pole heights - on heavy distortion sometimes the neck can get a little boomy (Which I think may be by design and true to historical form), but otherwise I haven’t found any sounds that these don’t handle with ease and as clear as a bell. YouTube clips of burstbuckers are good, but if you get the opportunity take these for a test drive in person, I think you’ll like them a lot and see what I mean.
I’ve had some tell
Me that the BurstBucker pros are even better than these BB1-3’s, and I’m not a good enough player to recognize a difference above or beyond this level, and truthfully, can’t even imagine what that would sound like... maybe even more historically accurate? I’m not sure, but these definitely give me what I was after.

shupe13

Reaction score
Thank you - it’s taken me forever to join up, I just had some down time today and took the leap since I finally had something to share (the “build journey”). I appreciate everyone’s insight over the years - it’s given me the roadmap to give the upgrades a try - lots of fun for sure and a great experience!
It's a wonderful forum. Great knowledge and members.

Tdurden032

Reaction score
It's a wonderful forum. Great knowledge and members.
I can clearly see that this group is as welcoming, nice and knowledgeable as I always thought they’d be - it’s nice To be a part of the team!

EpiPlustop

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Nice pics and nice guitar. Enjoy
P.s it says alot when you play the epi more than the gibby doesn't it.
Epi's are great guitar's.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Very nice and welcome! I've got BB1/2's installed in my Custom and couldn't be happier myself.

LP1865

Reaction score
Welcome!!!!
Awesome guitar, what year is it from?

Latest Threads