epiphone les paul standard or plustop pro?

markymark

Reaction score
hi im newbie to learning guitar after watching numerous good reviews on youtube ive decided to go for the epiphone les paul. ive got the budget for a epiphone les paul standard or a epiphone plustop pro . is there a great difference in these? there are also good deals on ebay for older epiphones any ideas

Breezin

Reaction score
Its all about the neck, do you want slim or fat?
I don't like skinny necks so I prefer the Bonamassa models cause they have chunky necks.

Stillhouse

Reaction score
Standard has Anico Classic pickups, Plustop Pro gets Probuckers with coil tapping and flame maple veneer top.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
there are also good deals on ebay for older epiphones any ideas

Hi,
Welcome here
:wave:

try to get a used Tribute+
best bang for the buck

EpiWeb_Tribute800x620.jpg

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
While the Tributes are a great start, I like the versatility offered with the coil splitting Probuckers that come on the Pro. Either way, have fun and start shopping for a nice amp.

AK Epi Player

Reaction score
Its all about the neck, do you want slim or fat?
I don't like skinny necks so I prefer the Bonamassa models cause they have chunky necks.

And,... some years of the Traditional Plus models have fat necks too!

UTGrad

Reaction score
I put some Seymour Duncan "Whole Lotta Humbuckers" in my Standard Plus Top Pro and it sings. Love the tone and it has a great action and neck.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome here
:wave:

try to get a used Tribute+
best bang for the buck

View attachment 356428

This. Great guitars if you like the slim neck. I don't or I would own one.
57 Classics get you a great "classic" Les Paul sound, great for any kind of rock or blues.
Haven't played the probuckers yet, I hear good things about them though. The alnico classics are mediocre at best, too muddy and undefined for my tastes.

You shouldn't worry too much about coil split and all that jazz, especially as a beginner.
In my opinion its quite useless. A toy without much practical value.
To me it just sounds like a thin, shitty humbucker, not even close to a good single coil. YMMV, like I said, just my 2 cents.

Get yourself the best sounding guitar that you can afford, don't worry about features. Les Pauls offer a wide range of tones anyway with the 4 control pots.

Sonicboom2

Reaction score
As far as im concern, my own opinion, these pop up knobs or coil splitting produce very little tone diffence. I watched a video demo with these knobs up and down in various set ups. The tone change so marginal it was ridiculous. Ive got a traditional pro plus 3, never use the pop up knobs. I went for the plus for the upgraded tuners and pick ups.

madh4ttr

Reaction score
I have coil splitting on my tribute plus. Don't EVER use them. NO need to. Plenty of sounds you can get with your 2 humbucking pickups, selector switch and the volume knob.

Wailing

Reaction score
I hear what you folks say about coil splitting, as the stock humbucker is so versatile.. however I’m a fuzz lover, and pushing a fuzz pedal with a split coil can, in my opinion.. create a classic sound humbuckers sometimes struggle to achieve

Bill Aquino

Reaction score
Hello all! My first post in this forum! ...I just took the dive and picked up a used 2016 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop. The body and neck are in great shape. I will install Seymour Duncan Phat Cats and re-wire using 50s wiring with CTS pots and 0.02uf tone caps. I will also install Grover locking tuners... collecting the parts now. Will post before and after photos.

scrumm21

Reaction score
I hear what you folks say about coil splitting, as the stock humbucker is so versatile.. however I’m a fuzz lover, and pushing a fuzz pedal with a split coil can, in my opinion.. create a classic sound humbuckers sometimes struggle to achieve
hmmmm .... never tried that with the fuzz.....
Item #1 on to do list today....Split the coil on the ptp and activate the Fuzz Phase

scrumm21

Reaction score
Did you try it out ?
Actually i haven't ....thank you for reminding me...i am setting reminder on my phone Right Now lol....while my gf is at the manicurist tomorrow i will fire it up..

donthewatcher

Reaction score
pro top plus is a great guitar probuckers are really good pickups,( i upgraded) i have a joe bonamassa 2011 epiphone goldtop
epiphone guitars stay in tune way better than gibsons

Latest Threads