Epiphone Les Paul {{Prophecy vs Tribute}}

PepsiiiTwiSt

Reaction score
Hey guys.

They are priced the same and even has same 5-star rating.

What do YOU guys think?

Thanos

Reaction score
Modern high-gain styles = Prophecy.
Vintage Les Paul style = Tribute.

What is better is up to the individual.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
It depends on your style...but just taking a straight up shot at it...you can squeeze more tones out of that Tribute model than you can the Prophecy.

If I was makin' that choice I'd pick the Tribute...(especially since it's got what...the '57 classic/plus pickup combo with coil splitting...I'd take that over the EMG tones anyday. If I got the Prophecy, I'd probably look at swapping those pups out for SD Blackouts. Wouldn't have to do anything to the Tribute model.)

Sjael

Reaction score
If I was makin' that choice I'd pick the Tribute...(especially since it's got what...the '57 classic/plus pickup combo with coil splitting...I'd take that over the EMG tones anyday. If I got the Prophecy, I'd probably look at swapping those pups out for SD Blackouts. Wouldn't have to do anything to the Tribute model.)
The Prophecy GX comes with coil-splitting Dirty Fingers, don't forget.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
You got me there. 24 frets also. Tradeoff...1 volume, 1 tone. If you were in the middle position you'd be a bit more limited as far as what you can dial in as far as tones.

Both are nice guitars, though. :) AS stated...it probably depends on what the OP is into. I think over the long run he'd probably be happier with the Tribute if he planned on keeping the guitar for 20 years or more.

smd24fan

Reaction score
Tribute, hands down! Love mine, holds it's own against my more pricey gear and is a TON of fun to play.:thumb:

hoss49

Reaction score
I agree with smd24fan. Tribute is the way to go. Love mine too.

LPClassic07

Reaction score
The Tribute comes with a nice case -- don't think the Prophecy does.

I love my tribute.

Thanos

Reaction score
Really, the only reason to get a Prophecy over a Tribute is if you must have 24 frets, or the EMG sound.

Weaver

Reaction score
The tributes pickups will bust out some nicer tones for all round better sound, for the prophecy the pups will bust out some higher gain tones yah....stand away from that amp :p but if you were to ask me what I would pick, I would take the tribute over the prophecy any day.

doctorboogie

Reaction score
After buying both a Tribute and a Prophesy, here's my take.
Not really happy with the construction quality of either - have had issues with both.
They both have body and neck bindings (although the Prophesy has headstock binding). The P has body bindings on front and back and they are white, where the T has only front body binding and the bindings are cream, which fits nice with the 1960 style.
What I like about the prophesy - ebony fretboard, satin neck is great and cool inlays. Don't like the only having two controls.
What I like about the Tribute - 57 Classics - these PUPs are AWESOME!!! Rich, full, creamy & dreamy. My fave!!!! Much better electronics all around and the tuners are locking.
Both black finishes are very cool and fit the respective styles well.

Savage1911

Reaction score
The prophecy looks kickass but EMGs are not my style.

I think I am getting a Tribute in the next week or so but I am wondering what are the benefits to the different neck styles. I have small hands will either fit me better?

SaM HiLL

Reaction score
I have a LP Prophecy EX I picked up used for $400, and I love it after doing a few mods and tweaks. First, I hated the black plated hardware. It gets lost on the dark color of the guitar, and it scratches very easily, so I replaced it all. Grover Deluxe Keystone machines, Schaller roller bridge & tailpiece, pickup rings, switch nut, jack plate, knobs and strap locks- all nickel plated. Can't find a nickel truss rod cover, so I'm making one for it.

I also pulled the EMG 81 & 85 and installed two EMG 89s with push pull pots that split the coils. I really wanted the chrome EMGs, but sadly at this point, they only offer them in a few limited models and I'm not prepared to give up the versatility of the 89s. So, the volume pot switches the neck pickup, and the tone pot switches the bridge. Kinda makes up for only having two controls.

I've seen a few people post here that they can't get a good clean tone with EMGs. I've been using EMGs in all my guitars for over 20 years and I find that baffling. The only reason you should ever hear any distortion from an EMG is if the battery is low. They are notorious for a clean, high output, with a lot of players saying they are sterile sounding. I think they make my guitars sound like my guitars, and not the pickups.

The Prophecy came from my local CL and was like new, but had it's faults. The finish on the neck had a couple of factory flaws in it, so I sanded and resprayed it while I had the hardware off. I made a new bone nut too, and it sounds much better than the crappy black nut that was poorly cut. I also leveled, recrowned and polished the frets. The factory job wasn't bad, but now it's perfect.

The bridge and tailpiece studs on the bass side were both very loose, and the holes were egg shaped. Not sure why, but couldn't have that, so I plugged both holes and redrilled them. Now the new Schaller studs fit nice and tight.

One thing I noticed while I had the guitar apart; the quilted maple cap is only about a sixteenth of an inch thick. Looks like they just stuck a piece of thin veneer on a carved mahogany body to me. Doesn't matter to me. It's a great looking, great playing, great sounding Les Paul and that's all that matters.

I love reading about everyone's experiences with Epiphones, and respect all your opinions. I think they've made a big leap lately and are making better guitars than ever.

I'll post some pix of my Prophecy and my other Epi LP in a day or two when I get a chance.

SaM

erthemoves

Reaction score
how about les paul tribute vs les paul prophecy plus?. just want to update this thread :)

straybeat

Reaction score
Hey guys.

They are priced the same and even has same 5-star rating.

What do YOU guys think?
The old Prophecy GX has the Dirty Fingers pups and 2 knobs. The new one has the standard 4 knobs, pearl/abalone rectangle inlays instead of the blades and the 490/498 pups.

Both guitars are killer, so it really comes down to you playing both and deciding which sound and feel you like better?

After having played Gibson LPC's all my life I like my Prophecy just fine, it's as close as I ever felt to an LPC? I haven't played a Trib, so I can't compare? I have a Pro/FX though which is a Standard and it is lighter (probably the Floyd cut-out) and has a lot different feel and sound from the Prophecy. I don't want to minimize it and say the only difference from a Tribute is the pickups and electronics, I don't know? I DO like the sound of both, though they are quite different from each other.