Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy 2020

lpfan1980

Reaction score
New for 2020 Epiphone Prophecy models - anyone has one?

There are several versions - Les Paul, Flying V, SG, Explorer. These guitars have tons of upgrades: Fishman Fluence pickups, matte finish, custom style headstock with large diamond, etc. Supposedly these are great for metal.

Les Paul variant comes in 3 colors. View attachment 527522

Tell us if you've got one!
300 views and no replies. No love for Prophecy Les Paul on this boar
I Do like the middle one and the cherry one!

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Do the Fishman pickups require batteries or could I get along without them? Something about having to put batteries in a guitar is off putting to me. Even so, I'd like to make this my next guitar.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
They do. These are active pickups.
You can always swap out your pickups.
I could learn to live with them assuming they offer all the variety of tones reviewers are talking about. Thanks for the reply.

bytemare

Reaction score
I have found the pickups to sound great. And with the push pulls, you can get a variety of tones. I'd prefer not having a battery, but it does sounds good.

fjoms

Reaction score
Earlier this year I was able to find a good deal on a red burst Les Paul Prophecy, so I went with it. My experience was not terrible, but I was surely disappointed, and the guitar was eventually returned. Here are some things that I recall:
  • the finish was not for me, it felt very plastic-like. I am fully comfortable with both satin and gloss finishes, but that was... weird
  • I felt that the guitar was too light, even lighter than my current Epi Modern - which is weight relieved
  • the ebony fretboard was poorly dyed, with uneven coloration in various areas
  • I did like a lot the fact that it was a shred guitar with a proper Les Paul shape and control layout
  • the battery compartment felt a bit flimsy
  • the single coil sound from the pickups was at the same level of most coil split offerings, which I don't consider practically usable
Clearly, the notes above represent my own experience with a particular instrument and reflect also my personal tastes, so take them with a grain of salt. In the end I felt that the guitar was ok but not worth the premium price... so the guitar went back :)

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Earlier this year I was able to find a good deal on a red burst Les Paul Prophecy, so I went with it. My experience was not terrible, but I was surely disappointed, and the guitar was eventually returned. Here are some things that I recall:
  • the finish was not for me, it felt very plastic-like. I am fully comfortable with both satin and gloss finishes, but that was... weird
  • I felt that the guitar was too light, even lighter than my current Epi Modern - which is weight relieved
  • the ebony fretboard was poorly dyed, with uneven coloration in various areas
  • I did like a lot the fact that it was a shred guitar with a proper Les Paul shape and control layout
  • the battery compartment felt a bit flimsy
  • the single coil sound from the pickups was at the same level of most coil split offerings, which I don't consider practically usable
Clearly, the notes above represent my own experience with a particular instrument and reflect also my personal tastes, so take them with a grain of salt. In the end I felt that the guitar was ok but not worth the premium price... so the guitar went back :)
I appreciate your notes there. The model I held and played unplugged recently was aesthetically pleasing on first glance but I will look more closely next time it's in my hands. I am drawn to this model for the ebony board, the extra frets, and the potential tonal varieties. Having a battery powered guitar will be unusual, but if the sounds are there and the feel is comfortable, I will adjust. I also want to spend some time with a modern as a plan B.

bytemare

Reaction score
I appreciate your notes there. The model I held and played unplugged recently was aesthetically pleasing on first glance but I will look more closely next time it's in my hands. I am drawn to this model for the ebony board, the extra frets, and the potential tonal varieties. Having a battery powered guitar will be unusual, but if the sounds are there and the feel is comfortable, I will adjust. I also want to spend some time with a modern as a plan B.
I had an Epiphone modern, and currently have the prophecy (and a Gibson modern). Both Epiphones are great, and the quality on both blew me away. If I can answer any questions about these just let me know!

Latest Threads