Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy 2020

lpfan1980

Reaction score
New for 2020 Epiphone Prophecy models - anyone has one?

There are several versions - Les Paul, Flying V, SG, Explorer. These guitars have tons of upgrades: Fishman Fluence pickups, matte finish, custom style headstock with large diamond, etc. Supposedly these are great for metal.

Les Paul variant comes in 3 colors. View attachment 527522

Tell us if you've got one!
300 views and no replies. No love for Prophecy Les Paul on this boar
I Do like the middle one and the cherry one!

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Do the Fishman pickups require batteries or could I get along without them? Something about having to put batteries in a guitar is off putting to me. Even so, I'd like to make this my next guitar.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
They do. These are active pickups.
You can always swap out your pickups.
I could learn to live with them assuming they offer all the variety of tones reviewers are talking about. Thanks for the reply.

bytemare

Reaction score
I have found the pickups to sound great. And with the push pulls, you can get a variety of tones. I'd prefer not having a battery, but it does sounds good.

fjoms

Reaction score
Earlier this year I was able to find a good deal on a red burst Les Paul Prophecy, so I went with it. My experience was not terrible, but I was surely disappointed, and the guitar was eventually returned. Here are some things that I recall:
  • the finish was not for me, it felt very plastic-like. I am fully comfortable with both satin and gloss finishes, but that was... weird
  • I felt that the guitar was too light, even lighter than my current Epi Modern - which is weight relieved
  • the ebony fretboard was poorly dyed, with uneven coloration in various areas
  • I did like a lot the fact that it was a shred guitar with a proper Les Paul shape and control layout
  • the battery compartment felt a bit flimsy
  • the single coil sound from the pickups was at the same level of most coil split offerings, which I don't consider practically usable
Clearly, the notes above represent my own experience with a particular instrument and reflect also my personal tastes, so take them with a grain of salt. In the end I felt that the guitar was ok but not worth the premium price... so the guitar went back :)

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Earlier this year I was able to find a good deal on a red burst Les Paul Prophecy, so I went with it. My experience was not terrible, but I was surely disappointed, and the guitar was eventually returned. Here are some things that I recall:
  • the finish was not for me, it felt very plastic-like. I am fully comfortable with both satin and gloss finishes, but that was... weird
  • I felt that the guitar was too light, even lighter than my current Epi Modern - which is weight relieved
  • the ebony fretboard was poorly dyed, with uneven coloration in various areas
  • I did like a lot the fact that it was a shred guitar with a proper Les Paul shape and control layout
  • the battery compartment felt a bit flimsy
  • the single coil sound from the pickups was at the same level of most coil split offerings, which I don't consider practically usable
Clearly, the notes above represent my own experience with a particular instrument and reflect also my personal tastes, so take them with a grain of salt. In the end I felt that the guitar was ok but not worth the premium price... so the guitar went back :)
I appreciate your notes there. The model I held and played unplugged recently was aesthetically pleasing on first glance but I will look more closely next time it's in my hands. I am drawn to this model for the ebony board, the extra frets, and the potential tonal varieties. Having a battery powered guitar will be unusual, but if the sounds are there and the feel is comfortable, I will adjust. I also want to spend some time with a modern as a plan B.

bytemare

Reaction score
I appreciate your notes there. The model I held and played unplugged recently was aesthetically pleasing on first glance but I will look more closely next time it's in my hands. I am drawn to this model for the ebony board, the extra frets, and the potential tonal varieties. Having a battery powered guitar will be unusual, but if the sounds are there and the feel is comfortable, I will adjust. I also want to spend some time with a modern as a plan B.
I had an Epiphone modern, and currently have the prophecy (and a Gibson modern). Both Epiphones are great, and the quality on both blew me away. If I can answer any questions about these just let me know!

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I had an Epiphone modern, and currently have the prophecy (and a Gibson modern). Both Epiphones are great, and the quality on both blew me away. If I can answer any questions about these just let me know!
I was in the neighborhood of the shop that has both the prophecy and a modern, so I dropped in to play the prophecy - plugged in this time. I was very pleased with the tonal variety playing through a clean Marshall. I did notice while tuning that the keys and first frets are farther away due to the extra frets. I play classical most of the time and hold in the classical position, even when playing electric, so that is going to be a factor for me. I also noticed the plastic-y feel of the satin finished neck that fjoms noted but I'm not particularly bothered by it. Just another difference. The knobs when pulled up were seated a little crooked, and have a tilt-a-whirl motion, but again, not a deal killer. I could be happy with it. Might be motivated to learn some shred technique, get out of Dadrockville.

Then I took the modern off the wall and plugged it in. It reminded me a lot of the Tribute 2010 I sold after buying my 59 Paul earlier this year. I didn't think I'd miss the coil splitting or tapping or whatever it is, but I do. Either guitar would be an upgrade from the Tribute. And I love the ebony boards on each. The modern was more comfortable, more familiar. Again I could be very happy living with it.

So I'm torn. I can't justify buying both! Especially since I'm also looking at a spruce-top classical, but I want to replace the old Tribute. If variety is the reason for the second Paul, which offers more? The Prophecy or the Modern?

Edit: I shouldn't say either would be an upgrade from the Tribute since it had it's own character. Either would be a satisfactory replacement.

Last edited:

bytemare

Reaction score
I was in the neighborhood of the shop that has both the prophecy and a modern, so I dropped in to play the prophecy - plugged in this time. I was very pleased with the tonal variety playing through a clean Marshall. I did notice while tuning that the keys and first frets are farther away due to the extra frets. I play classical most of the time and hold in the classical position, even when playing electric, so that is going to be a factor for me. I also noticed the plastic-y feel of the satin finished neck that fjoms noted but I'm not particularly bothered by it. Just another difference. The knobs when pulled up were seated a little crooked, and have a tilt-a-whirl motion, but again, not a deal killer. I could be happy with it. Might be motivated to learn some shred technique, get out of Dadrockville.

Then I took the modern off the wall and plugged it in. It reminded me a lot of the Tribute 2010 I sold after buying my 59 Paul earlier this year. I didn't think I'd miss the coil splitting or tapping or whatever it is, but I do. Either guitar would be an upgrade from the Tribute. And I love the ebony boards on each. The modern was more comfortable, more familiar. Again I could be very happy living with it.

So I'm torn. I can't justify buying both! Especially since I'm also looking at a spruce-top classical, but I want to replace the old Tribute. If variety is the reason for the second Paul, which offers more? The Prophecy or the Modern?
It all comes down to personal preference, but I can offer a few things to think about:

The modern is going to feel and look closer to a traditional LP. So if that's important to you, then the modern might be better.

Do you care about active pickups? I was never a fan, but now that I have the prophecy I don't mind them at all and the battery seems to last forever. I don't hear a huge difference between the "modern" and "classic" sounds though. But they pickups do sounds great clean and with gain, and are high output on the "modern" mode.

I wasn't crazy about the satin on the prophecy, so I polished it.

Upper fret access for the prophecy is definitely better than the modern. Those two extra frets make a huge difference in the design which allow for upper fret access.

Do you like bling? Then prophecy! :lol:

I don't think you can go wrong with either. They both sound great and play well, and I think the probuckers sound really good. Both have push/pulls which can really give a lot of tonal varieties.

Reaction score
I have the first generation of the prophecy LP with 2 knobs and bought the prophecy V this year just to try out the fluence pickups. My only 2 cents is - don't read the literature and don't rely on the description in the spec sheet that says pulling the knob = PAF sound. As long as that's not what you're looking for and you keep an open mind that you have many sounds to work with, it's great! Not sure about the current LP. The first gen ones has a very very thin neck.

LuckyDan

Reaction score
It all comes down to personal preference, but I can offer a few things to think about:

The modern is going to feel and look closer to a traditional LP. So if that's important to you, then the modern might be better.

Do you care about active pickups? I was never a fan, but now that I have the prophecy I don't mind them at all and the battery seems to last forever. I don't hear a huge difference between the "modern" and "classic" sounds though. But they pickups do sounds great clean and with gain, and are high output on the "modern" mode.

I wasn't crazy about the satin on the prophecy, so I polished it.

Upper fret access for the prophecy is definitely better than the modern. Those two extra frets make a huge difference in the design which allow for upper fret access.

Do you like bling? Then prophecy! :lol:

I don't think you can go wrong with either. They both sound great and play well, and I think the probuckers sound really good. Both have push/pulls which can really give a lot of tonal varieties.
Leaning toward the modern for it's familiarity but I do love a sexy guitar and the Prophecy wins that bout, especially with the colorful fret marker inlays, but even for looks, I like the Modern in the latte finish (the only one my shop has) and the transparent knobs. The Prophecy is also by far the most different of the two, compared to anything else in the stable. I am happy to hear battery life has not been an issue.

I will A/B them once more before I buy, but I agree I won't regret coming home with either.

Last edited:

LuckyDan

Reaction score
I have the first generation of the prophecy LP with 2 knobs and bought the prophecy V this year just to try out the fluence pickups. My only 2 cents is - don't read the literature and don't rely on the description in the spec sheet that says pulling the knob = PAF sound. As long as that's not what you're looking for and you keep an open mind that you have many sounds to work with, it's great! Not sure about the current LP. The first gen ones has a very very thin neck.
I'm sure you're correct, and I don't rely too much on sound descriptors, which are always approximations. I liked the differences that I heard from the Prophecy. Very distinctive. From gritty to chimey and something in between. It's an impressive instrument.

Latest Threads