Epiphone Les Paul Modern project

francvernet

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here.

Once a read-only user without Les Paul, but I recently bought an Epi Les Paul Modern carcass (wood-only) and hope to be more actively present on the forum.
The goal, of course, is to make a playable guitar out of it. I have already put Grover tuners on it and a temporary bridge and stop tail; leftovers from an SG build. I am in the process of buying a Gotoh bridge for it (GE103B-T), the stop tail I might keep.
Next step in my mind is to find the correct pickup rings so I can fill and redrill the holes. There are already holes from previous rings, but in my experience, there is little chance that a new set of rings will fit the current holes.

My question is: what is the correct height for the rings? I don't want them too low as it looks silly, but I also don't want them too high as the pickups will then touch the strings.

Anyone here with a Modern that could check this?

Attachments

DrBGood

Reaction score
In my experience, if you buy any metric rings, they'll fit right in. Make sure you get ones with curved bottom and height is usually pretty standard for metric rings.

francvernet

Reaction score
So I went ahead and guestimated the height looking at videos of both the Epi and the Gibson and ordered new rings.

Height 7-9mm for the bridge and 5-7mm for the neck.

Never knew there were so many different sizes available :hmm:.
These are somewhat bigger than the originals, which was on purpose, because the pickup cavities look pretty wide and I didn't want them to show.

Right now I am trying to find the ideal position with regards to the strings before drilling new holes.

IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9837.jpg

Latest Threads