Epiphone Les Paul Ltd. Edition Buy

TheKat

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm quite new to this forum. I've registered the same day I found it.

Seems to be an awesome community here :applause:. You already helped me with the great infos provided.

I'm from germany and missed a les paul guitar in my E-Guitar collection: so far,
- Telecaster (NoCaster) replica far to good to be called a copy
- Fender USA Highway strat
- Epiphone Zephyre Blues Deluxe (yeah, I'm also a single coil fan)
- Ibanez semiacoustic with a sparkly finish I'm not especially proud of, but which sounded to good to miss
...and - oh yeah - a cheap Yamaha telecaster copy with 2 humbuckers which I play when I'm not in the mood to wear down the frets of my other guitars.

Maybe someday, when I'm long dead, I achieve to play nearly as good as Jimmy Page :naughty:
Thats why I wanted a Les Paul :dude:

But now to why I'm writing here:

I've just bought a Epiphone Les Paul guitar which has been bought used also by the seller - so my hands will be at least the third owning the guitar. Hopefully I will receive it by the end of the week.

I've identified it tentatively as a somewhat modified Limited Edition Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro DB (Desert Burst) like that in the post http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/245355-new-epi-standard-plustop-pro-ltd-desert-burst.html#post4900443

Do guitar model names get any longer? :D

Here are the pictures I have so far:

Modifications I've identified (if this is really the model I think it is)
- black plastic parts all around instead of cream ones
- Tulip Kluson style tuners instead of modern sealed Grover
- Bridge and Stoptail seem to be gold (forgot to ask about that one)
- the owner tould me that there are no push/pull volume potis like this guitar should have, but perhaps he simply didn't try.

Also, the seller stated that he exchanged the pickups for original Gibson Burstbuckers #2 and #3 (Which wouldn't change the general sound style because the guitar should have had the Epiphone versions of those pups)

Well, I have some questions
- Does anybody of you have any infos about build time of that particular ltd. edition model?
- How can I identify the pickups - beside the paper stickers on the back which may not be present and can be easily faked anyway?
- The second letter on the Kluson style tuners is definitely an 'I', so I think there is Gibson written on it. Are there any tuners like these that you know about?
- The serial number seems somewhat unusual when comparing it to the info in the FAQ. Any comments about this?

Thank you for your attention
Thomas

Kong

Reaction score
Welcome and HNGD! That is a beautiful finish! I'm not an expert but, based on the info in the Epi Wiki, it was made in April of 2011 at the Qingdao (China) plant, production number 11,231.

Stock Pro models would have ProBucker 2 & 3 pickups and push/pull pots for coil splitting.

It probably is a Standard Plus Top Desert Burst, black plastics and gold hardware would have been stock. My guess is the tuners were changed, they look like Gibson Kluson Deluxe tuners. If it was not the Pro model it would have had Alnico Classic & Classic Plus humbucker pickups. If it has Gibson Burstbuckers that would be considered a nice upgrade by most of the folks around here.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Les_Paul_Standard#Les_Paul_Standard_Plus_Top_Desertburst

Hack

Reaction score
Welcome!

Your questions will be answered shortly.

I love the looks of that LP, very unusual.

TheKat

Reaction score
Hello again, and thanks for your welcomes and info so far.

It probably is just a Standard Plus Top Desert Burst, black plastics and gold hardware would have been stock.
Yes maybe, but would a Standard Plustop DB also have the Limited Edition / Custom shop logo painted on the back of the head?

Well if the guitar is as described, I am more than satisfied, and yeah - I think the Gibson pups are definitely an asset. And the style (bridge PU naked and neck PU covered) also is a hint to Jimmy Page - although the naked PU is a zebra one. The only (very little) minus is that i think the cream plastic parts look better on this guitar.

PS: Every board has its jargon, and as I'm a newbie you perhaps will forgive me the question: what is HNGD?

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Happy New Guitar Day!

Beautiful guitar! I think the tuners may be stock because when you remove Grovers to replace them with Keystone tuners, there is a hole left behind from the Grovers. It's possible that this was a special edition made for a specific retailer. Whatever the case may be, it's a beautiful guitar and you were lucky to find it!

And welcome to MLP!!

g8tr

Elitist Club Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HNGD! We are happy to add you to the insane asylum. Les Pauls are beautiful, and to most of us, addicting. :wow:
Yours appears to be one of the finer examples that I have seen lately. I keep looking for a Desert Burst at a reasonable price, with good playability, of course. Hope I find something on a par with yours, as it is beautiful. :thumb:

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice, looks like mine.

It is/was a Limited Edition color. It came with all gold hardware, grover tuners, black plastics.

Those amber knobs look stock.

Tuners and Pickups appear to be have been replaced. (came with gold covered humbuckers.)

Great guitar. It's been my favorite for years.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :thumb:

(there are no push-pull pots. It's not a Plus Top PRO. It's a Limited Edition that came out in 2010. I bought the same exact one. ...I think yours may be the first I've seen besides my own.)

.. I love that color. The Epi Desert Burst is so much nicer then the Gibson Desert Burst.

TheKat

Reaction score
Well, BIG THANKS again, and HNGD to everyone around!

I think I will definitely stay here and hope not only to get helped, but also be helpful to the other members.

Your are a fun and friendly bunch of guys (and girls?)

When I get around to actually listing and photographing my equipment I will do a proper introduction in the right thread.

So (thanks to you, Malikon and Kong!) the LP seems to be a 2010 Plus Top (Non pro). Addition: I just rearead the thread and found out that the serial number says produced in April 2011 .....

Well - I can't wait to get my hands on the guitar and see how it sounds (little bit like waiting for christmas when I was a kid):headbanger::jam: