Epiphone Les Paul FAQ

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that no MIJ Epiphones were coated with nitro. Ever. The LQ series used a catylized lacquer as an alternative to nitro. IIRC spraying nitrocellulose is illegal in japan.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Q. What's is the difference between studio, standard, custom, elitist.
May I go way back to the very first post all those years ago and ask a question?
I have the Tribute Plus model, which I absolutely love, and I’m wondering where it would sit in the four models mentioned.

DrBGood

Reaction score
May I go way back to the very first post all those years ago and ask a question?
I have the Tribute Plus model, which I absolutely love, and I’m wondering where it would sit in the four models mentioned.
Between Custom and Elitist.

jadm110

Reaction score
in the last few years epiphone has made the statement that they have made a lot of improvements in the quality and workmanship that goes into the epiphone line of guitars.
does the group feel this is a realistic statement or does epiphone still put out guitars with inconsistant quality ?

DrBGood

Reaction score
in the last few years epiphone has made the statement that they have made a lot of improvements in the quality and workmanship that goes into the epiphone line of guitars.
does the group feel this is a realistic statement or does epiphone still put out guitars with inconsistant quality ?
One could ask the exact same question about Gibson.

But yes the new Epiphones are stellar.

frater106

Reaction score
Yeah, that would be the best way to do it, but I think if I were to do that, I might just go ahead and replace them. The stock pups (I'm assuming they're stock - I just bought it used) are OK, but the neck pup is a little muddy. Bridge seems nice and hot though..

I've been told SD Jazz for neck and SD JB for bridge are good replacements, but know there are many others out there that would work, too.. I don't hate the stock ones, I just think I might be able to do better.. (??)
I'm using a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates neck and Duncan Custom in my '07 LP Custom. I've been very happy with them-it's an extremely versitle set. The neck is PAF a little hotter and with more bite but since it's Alnico 2 agreed also soft on top and a bit sweet. The ceramic Custom helps you nail more modern high gain stuff.

frater106

Reaction score
I'm looking to change the pickups in my epi lp black beauty to SD alnico pro II's but am unsure of which pup to put in the middle position. You can get one for the neck position and one for the bridge but obviously not one for the middle. Any ideas would be much appreciated (sorry for my ignorance but I'm kind of new to all this!!).
A Pearly Gates would possibly play nice with that set-they're also A2.

frater106

Reaction score
I don't care what anyone else says, the new Epi LP Standards have solid mahogany backs, 2 piece maple top, and a flame maple veneer on top. Dont pay $2500 for a thicker piece of flame maple and some BurstBuckers.
And the Nitro vs. poly finish.

frater106

Reaction score
Turn your amp up to it's maximum volume without any pedals. That should be the absolute highest you would want to push your amp. Otherwise you could be slowly blowing out your speaker and/or causing further damage to your amp.
Don't turn it so the way up. Limit yourself to about 8/10 on any volume/gain knob of you will shorten the life of your tinted running them at full tilt.

Latest Threads