Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro vs Black Beauty 3

Plug

Reaction score
Hey guys it's getting close to December and I thought I had decided on the Custom Pro. But I just found out about the BB3 and I love the 3 pick up look. So really which is better the BB3 with an extra pick up or the Custom Pro that has the coil splitting feature?

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
Hey guys it's getting close to December and I thought I had decided on the Custom Pro. But I just found out about the BB3 and I love the 3 pick up look. So really which is better the BB3 with an extra pick up or the Custom Pro that has the coil splitting feature?
the Pro-Buckers on the Custom-Pro

or the Tribute plus....:naughty:

Plug

Reaction score
you mean like the midnight ebony with white binding that is listed on epi's website?
Not Black enough and no white headstock binding :( . Any other opinions on why I should get the BB3 or the Les Paul Custom Pro?

El Kabong

Reaction score
The BB3 is an awesome guitar... I am currently in the process of rewiring and repupping mine to make it even more awesome. Already added a Bigsby, roller bridge and tronical tuners... when the rewiring is done it will be AMAZING!

I don't really like the stock pups in either, so if you are considering changing them I would go with the BB3... if you are planning to keep it stock the CP Burstbuckers are probably a little better than the BB3 alnicos...

Plug

Reaction score
The BB3 is an awesome guitar... I am currently in the process of rewiring and repupping mine to make it even more awesome. Already added a Bigsby, roller bridge and tronical tuners... when the rewiring is done it will be AMAZING!

I don't really like the stock pups in either, so if you are considering changing them I would go with the BB3... if you are planning to keep it stock the CP Burstbuckers are probably a little better than the BB3 alnicos...
Is the extra pick up worth it?

storey

Reaction score
Probably not, but they do look SO killer, don't they? Im kicking around the idea of retiring ons with a Rewind harness and 3 Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pups

AK Epi Player

Reaction score

Hi Duane,
what Roller bridge are you getting to go with the Bigsby?

Just wondering, as I considering doing this to my BB3:hmm:.
Thanks, Pete.

Plug

Reaction score
Probably not, but they do look SO killer, don't they? Im kicking around the idea of retiring ons with a Rewind harness and 3 Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pups
Lol I'm probably going to go with the Custom Pro cause of the coil splitting feature. BUT what happens if you change the pick ups on the Custom Pro can you still use the coil splitting feature??

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Lol I'm probably going to go with the Custom Pro cause of the coil splitting feature. BUT what happens if you change the pick ups on the Custom Pro can you still use the coil splitting feature??
yes as long as your replacement PU's have four wires. The pickups in the Custom Pro are very good. Don't replace them just for the sake of replacing them.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
The Tribute Plus is better than either one of these guitars. I really think you will be much happier with one. And, the 57's are incredible sounding pups. Just my two cents.

El Kabong

Reaction score
The Tribute Plus is better than either one of these guitars. I really think you will be much happier with one. And, the 57's are incredible sounding pups. Just my two cents.
The 1960 Tribute Plus is an amazing guitar. Completely different dynamic than the BB3, but amazing nonetheless...

My 60TP and BB3 are probably my two most played guitars and are the ones I reach for when I just want to kick around... they are also the two I have installed tronical auto tuners on. The BB3 has had a ton of mods, the Trib is stock... love 'em both!

Cyclave

Reaction score
Custom Pro = Tribute Plus = Prophecy Plus = Black Beauty
It's just a matter of preference; they are the same quality.

If you want my opinion: The best out of these would be a Black Beauty with a Gibson P94r in the neck, a 57' in the middle, a 498t in the bridge, and a B7 Bigsby. (BB's look awful without bigsbys.) Is this the cheapest choice? Hell no, but I'd have one if it were cheap. :lol:

But seriously: If you want 3 pups, your only choice is the BB.

Plug

Reaction score
After thinking about this subject for a while I think I'ma go with the BB3. The main reason I'm not going for the Custom Pro is because I plan on buying a Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul in the future. So if I need a single coil sound I'd use the Strat and if I need a Humbucker sound I'd use the Gibson. But with the BB3 its different because it has 3 pickups and I would add Bigsby to it AND says Epiphone unlike the Gibson.