Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Neck pickup. Duncan Custom Sh-5 or Di Marzio Paf 36th Anniversary ?

coroneldanko

Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom guitar. The bridge pickup has already picked the Seymour Duncan Distortion Sh-6 (I want a 90s John Norum / John Sykes sound), but would it match a Seymour Duncan Custom Sh-5 on the neck? Michael Schenker used a Sh-5 (bridge / neck) set on the Flying V with the Ufo in 1992 in Tokyo, but the mahogany Flying V itself has a more open sound than a Les Paul. Hamer also has a Les Paul (Monaco) with Sh-5 pickup on the neck (with the Custom Custom sh-11 on the bridge)
Or put the Di Marzio Paf 36th anniversary on the neck (I also found a 1979 Paf Gibson that serves in any position, but I found the price high for the neck)?

Should you choose sh-6 and di marzio in epiphone les paul, what would you have to say about a combination of Seymour Duncan Jb Sh-4 on the bridge and the Seymour Duncan Custom Sh-5 on the neck of an Epiphone Flying V Korina (I think to get another guitar). I also have a Fender Stratocaster with Di Marzio Fast Track pickups (2 on the bridge and 1 on the arm), with the tex mex in the center.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The Custom is a bridge pickup, and while you can use it in the neck, my guess is that there will be balance issues. I'd just opt for a Distortion neck.

Antigua

Reaction score

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I vote the opposite of Who... I find the 36th Anny neck to be one of the better mass produced PAF type neck pickups out there. Affordable too (ie, only $5 more than the no-name one Antigua mentioned—not saying it’s bad...just never heard of it or heard it).

Reactions: Who

Antigua

Reaction score
I vote the opposite of Who... I find the 36th Anny neck to be one of the better mass produced PAF type neck pickups out there. Affordable too (ie, only $5 more than the no-name one Antigua mentioned—not saying it’s bad...just never heard of it or heard it).
The BYO is $70 for both the neck and bridge pickup. The 36th Anni. is $75 for just one pickup, so the 36th is actually more than twice the cost.

The BYO is also better quality in that it has actual wood spacers and vintage correct appointments, where as the 36th Anniverary is actually an "airbucker", though DiMarzio chose not to boast about it with that particular model. A cynical person might say the intention of the airbucker layout is to save on production costs by replacing the spacer and keeper with cheesy little plastic washers.

BYO doesn't make pickups exclusively, they supply all sort of guitar parts for "build your own" DIYers. The pickups appear to be assembled in China, but they're premium pickups in every sense, and some of the parts they use looks suspiciously similar to the pickups made and sold by U.S. winders. If there's a secret here, it seems to be matching up top of the line components with low priced labor. Not unlike Tonerider, but even lower priced and less proprietary.

Last edited:

LtKojak

Reaction score
A cynical person might say the intention of the airbucker layout is to save on production costs by replacing the spacer and keeper with cheesy little plastic washers
Somebody that would think that is not a cynical, but a seriously Dunning-Kruger afflicted, completely and absolutely delusional about knowing the first thing on the subject of p'up design.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
The 36th is a pickup, but it's costly for what it is. Basically nearly everything on the market in that category is overpriced relative to BYO http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Blizzard-of-59----Vintage-Humbucker-Set__BYO-BLIZZARD-SET.aspx

Another gripe about the 36th is that DiMarzio uses lots and lots of wax. I'm not a believer that it adversely effects the tone, but it's just a mess if you ever need or want to swap magnets or remove the covers.
Wasn't familiar with that site. Thanks for the link.

I'm all about not paying for a name and advertising hype. Just give me a good product that works.

Nice price on those pickups. I'll be checking out the rest of their offerings.

Latest Threads