Epiphone Les Paul Custom 2003 (Korean Build) What pickups?

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Question for those of you who owned a Korean built Epi LP Custom from 2003. Does anyone know what pickups came stock with them brand new? I know they were Gibson USA made, because they even came with those stickers on them "Gibson U.S.A". I suspected they were 490/498 pickups but I could never confirm this. Does anyone know?

It was my first LP, a phenomenal build, with great, thick, creamy tone. The note separation while playing chords, even with hi-gain, was superb.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Wiki says Alnico Classics, which I guess are Epiphone's.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Looks like we both might be right. I had heard, 490R/498T pickups came stock on higher end Epiphone models (they just rebranded the names). They sound more "modern" than BurstBuckers do. Great pups, for modern tones.

mr. rj

Reaction score
The epiphone catalog's are usually my first source of info, they say 57 classic's (usually means epiphone brand when gibson not identified), no mention of Gibson on the custom. Unless you have a signature custom, those are identified as gibson usa. I have the 03' standard and according to the catalog the customs have the same pickups as the one I have, and they are epi branded. I also have the 03' classic MIK with epi pickups. But it is still possible that the MIK customs were equipped with gibby's as limited editions, if I were to guess, it wouldn't be the 490/498 combo, likely the gibson 57's.

Attachments

Last edited:

KStopper65

Reaction score
Probably the 57CH neck and HOTCH bridge. I have a 2003 Standard, but its MIC

Latest Threads