Epiphone Junior Model: Reborn

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
A few months back, I acquired this 2006 Junior for a hundred bucks. And now as I look at these photos, I realize that I was robbed! :p

Before .png

It seems that the owner had sprayed the top (along with the stock bridge) lol and just left it unfinished.

The tuners had been "upgraded" with some cheapo Chinese junk. Obviously not exactly a professional installation at that.

The neck pocket was absolutely shocking! :eek: Not hard to see why the older Chinese builds are ridiculed and deservedly so, if this is what they were turning out back then.

It's not shown, but there was also a SD Custom HB installed. Sounds good right? Nope. This was the worst sounding guitar ever. Really.

Took about a month to complete the makeover and now it's a total night and day difference. I must admit though, that I will never again own a plywood body. It's quite noticeably bottom heavy and the sound unplugged is not at all inspiring.

Plugged in however, it's a different story as it actually records very well. I was considering having a mahogany body made, or looking for a husk to replace the body/neck, but since it sounds good on recordings, there's no point.

After.png

Modifications:

- wet sand smooth (600 to 2000) and finish with rubbing compound
- deep clean, lightly sand and oil fretboard
- spot level and polish frets
- massive cleanup work in the neck pocket
- sandpaper shim at headstock end of pocket for optimal setup
- Faber aluminum wraptail and aged tuners that I had on hand
- Philadelphia Luthiers steel locking bridge studs
- slightly modify HB rout to accept soapbar P90 and dogear cover
- Fleor P90 A5 9.9k (15 bucks lol) set at <=1mm from strings
- Bourns 500k pot, .022 orange drop (50s wired) and Epi jackplate
- single ply celluloid pickguard
- vinyl decal and stinger
- abalone volume knob, black/gold reflector tone knob
*EDIT:
- forgot about the TUSQ XL nut

Last edited:

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That’s a great job! And yes, those early Chinese Epi’s are pure dog shit. I had a 95-ish that had PLASTIC inlays. Like plastic you would use in a garbage can.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
That’s a great job! And yes, those early Chinese Epi’s are pure dog shit. I had a 95-ish that had PLASTIC inlays. Like plastic you would use in a garbage can.
Thank you and yes I agree, but I have a Chinese Standard from 2011 that is just lovely after I changed the pickups, overhauled the wiring and replaced the control components. So there's that.......

Would have loved to see my face when I took the neck off and looked into that neck pocket :D I was like WTF... how could they bolt a neck on that mess and send it out the door?!?!

fry

Reaction score
Dang! That is indeed reborn! Nice work for sure, I wish I had such skills. I only tried to paint a guitar one time and it came out really, really bad. I don’t have the patience or energy to try it again.

Telechamp

Reaction score
I had a 95-ish that had PLASTIC inlays. Like plastic you would use in a garbage can.
I've got a '96 MIK Epi LP Standard Plus Top, and it looks to me that the inlays are also plastic, but I can't tell for sure.. Anybody know if they used plastic inlays during this time?

Otherwise, I love the guitar.

q4XnAEb.jpg

HQaUOO2.jpg

HG4LVlB.jpg

yckfGP9.jpg

IUoaYZy.jpg

MlSITDo.jpg

8kdZBLx.jpg

rUuVSWA.jpg

YHA30Rd.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
I've got a '96 MIK Epi LP Standard Plus Top, and it looks to me that the inlays are also plastic, but I can't tell for sure.. Anybody know if they used plastic inlays during this time?

Otherwise, I love the guitar.

q4XnAEb.jpg

HQaUOO2.jpg

HG4LVlB.jpg

yckfGP9.jpg

IUoaYZy.jpg

MlSITDo.jpg

8kdZBLx.jpg

rUuVSWA.jpg

YHA30Rd.jpg
Very nice man!! I have seen some really nice tops on these older epiphones. You know I was thinking about buying some quality inlays and trying to put them in one of my 59's. Can't be that hard to do.

Latest Threads