Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 'Lazarus' 59 Les Paul Standard Owners Thread

ozzy wild

Reaction score
@ozzy wild , not that my playing is "public worthy" but one of the things I did think about when I got the Lazarus was some punk could steal 3 of these before I'd be out as much as a Gibson 50s Standard, much less a Gibson '59 reissue.. and I'd have 3 guitar cases to store their replacements. :rofl:

just a thought...
Fair point.but i got a lot of epiphones and have a own lot more over the years.and i dont think i got one epiphone with cosmetic issues like this.i got a Burgundy sg special that got some small cosmetic issues but that was 700$ less so i did not complain about that and keep it.i know this is not a R9 but still its epis top of the line and most expensive models so i woued expekt better.on top of that the store claim that hair and red/orange paint stains is normal on handmade guitars like epiphone and gibson just baffel me.

ozzy wild

Reaction score
Ok i cant rember all the pic In this tread but i cant rember seeing this big gap In the long tension pocket on a guitar before.
someone else woued like to show a pic of yours neck pocket?

Attachments

• FF3CAE39-B9C8-4B1D-9F6E-D3D846F7F22D.jpeg
    FF3CAE39-B9C8-4B1D-9F6E-D3D846F7F22D.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 28

Lineosight

Reaction score
Fair point.but i got a lot of epiphones and have a own lot more over the years.and i dont think i got one epiphone with cosmetic issues like this.i got a Burgundy sg special that got some small cosmetic issues but that was 700$ less so i did not complain about that and keep it.i know this is not a R9 but still its epis top of the line and most expensive models so i woued expekt better.on top of that the store claim that hair and red/orange paint stains is normal on handmade guitars like epiphone and gibson just baffel me.
Agreed, this is one of Epi's top of the line models, and should have solid attention to detail (relative to the target price point).

There's arguments to be made for holding or returning the guitar. And based on your descriptions, you have no shortage of guitars at present. I'm not sure the "group think" is going to help make a decision here.

The instrument isn't living up to your expectations, which at the end of the day is really the only thing that matters. It wouldn't matter if this was the cheapest LP ever produced, or the finest example of a '59 burst bought for 50% over asking. You are the buyer, the decision is nagging at you. Trust your gut.

it's not like Joe Bonamassa is going to pop in and realize he accidentally shipped Lazarus and kept a Epiphone copy, which you happened to grab at your local store. :fingersx:

Personally, I"m not a collector. Hell, with my "skills" I'm not ready to call me a player (30 year gaps in playing don't make for "mad skills"). My Lazarus sounds great (no small feat in my hands!) and more importantly makes me want to play, something I've missed for a long time.

And, while I could buy any number of guitars, for nearly any price, I'm also a pragmatist, my skills are exceeded by the quality and craftsmanship of my guitar. IF I ever get to the point where I'm capable of exceeding the limitations of this guitar, it'll be time for me to acquire something better.

At present, I'll say, I'm not really seeing that time coming... Now, my son on the other hand, well... he does have the skills to justify investment (which gives me the free pass I need to acquire gear - there by scratching the buying itch - and I know he'll actually push the limits of the stuff).

Parenting pro tip: kids are the green lit - free pass to buy the toys you're parents always seemed to miss getting you. :naughty: AND, if they don't use them, all the better for dad!! :cheers2:

You should have seen the fishing rod & reel my father bought me... when I was 5 months old. :hmm: :laugh2:

But that's just me...

ozzy wild

Reaction score
Agreed, this is one of Epi's top of the line models, and should have solid attention to detail (relative to the target price point).

There's arguments to be made for holding or returning the guitar. And based on your descriptions, you have no shortage of guitars at present. I'm not sure the "group think" is going to help make a decision here.

The instrument isn't living up to your expectations, which at the end of the day is really the only thing that matters. It wouldn't matter if this was the cheapest LP ever produced, or the finest example of a '59 burst bought for 50% over asking. You are the buyer, the decision is nagging at you. Trust your gut.

it's not like Joe Bonamassa is going to pop in and realize he accidentally shipped Lazarus and kept a Epiphone copy, which you happened to grab at your local store. :fingersx:

Personally, I"m not a collector. Hell, with my "skills" I'm not ready to call me a player (30 year gaps in playing don't make for "mad skills"). My Lazarus sounds great (no small feat in my hands!) and more importantly makes me want to play, something I've missed for a long time.

And, while I could buy any number of guitars, for nearly any price, I'm also a pragmatist, my skills are exceeded by the quality and craftsmanship of my guitar. IF I ever get to the point where I'm capable of exceeding the limitations of this guitar, it'll be time for me to acquire something better.

At present, I'll say, I'm not really seeing that time coming... Now, my son on the other hand, well... he does have the skills to justify investment (which gives me the free pass I need to acquire gear - there by scratching the buying itch - and I know he'll actually push the limits of the stuff).

Parenting pro tip: kids are the green lit - free pass to buy the toys you're parents always seemed to miss getting you. :naughty: AND, if they don't use them, all the better for dad!! :cheers2:

You should have seen the fishing rod & reel my father bought me... when I was 5 months old. :hmm: :laugh2:

But that's just me...
I guess it was just that i expekted and wanted a really Nice flame top and seeing every post here got one i got a littel put down.on top of that the other issues did Just top it.i got a 100$ lp sl that is perfect i also got a lp junior and special that coast under half of this and are perfect.so i guess paying full price fore it was not a option.i coued just return it and buy one from a another store if i did have to pay In full.
Now afther some back and forth the store decided to give me 15% off and i did deside that i did keep it at that offer.since it was a great guitar playing wise.now i really wanted to keep this matte finish but i think i will have to polish it to posseble Get the paint spots off and posseble make the top pop a littel more.

Those parenting tips are gold but i will also add that it work greait with wife/girlfriend AS well at least if you got a handy one.

Now about upgrading.well whene i started playing In the early mid 2000.i did start with epiphone and i was Very happy.dont Get me wrong on this time frame epis was a littel hit and miss whene it did come to electric.some i still got stock to this day and some i did have to change POTs etc afther 6 months to 2-3 years.
But afther some years i did start playing out and also got on diffrent forums.and every one did tell me how great gibson was and how crappy epiphone was.ok so i did sell some of my epiphone and did buy some gibsons and i really did like gibsons.now afther 8 years give or take the honeymoon was over and my gibson did spend there life In the cases and at that point have done so some time AS well.so with the new inspired by line from epiphone i made a choose and did sell all my gibsons exept fore 3 sgj.1lpj and one bfg zw custom that are my best lp Even it got that weird buzzaw finish on the top.
Now fore me i dont see gibson AS a upgrade enymore.if you buy the top of the line epiphone like lazarus it really boils down to if you like poly or nitro finish.
Now if you are a collector and want Nice us made funiture wallhanger gibson is the way to go but fore bedrom players and people that are playing out but dont got 1-2 people to Handle you gear epiphone is the best value.
Now if you really insist on having nitro i woued recomend to find a good epi and sand it down a littel and paint it with nitro.bam best of two world and it did not cost you 3 times more.
Not saying gibson is bad but to me not a upgrade eiter and perhaps its because i am gone full circle and found out that i like poly finish and epis better.
So play your lazarus with pride and enjoy it and dont worry about upgrading unless you absolutt have to have a us made guitar with nitro.

ozzy wild

Reaction score
Ok so i ended up keeping my lazarus:dude:
But i woued really like to see some pic from people that did polish it.before and afther if posseble.thank you
And also neck pocket pic if you can.it was one that did show one that was same AS mine on a 59 i belive but its now deleted so please show yours

Lineosight

Reaction score
I guess it was just that i expekted and wanted a really Nice flame top and seeing every post here got one i got a littel put down.on top of that the other issues did Just top it.i got a 100$ lp sl that is perfect i also got a lp junior and special that coast under half of this and are perfect.so i guess paying full price fore it was not a option.i coued just return it and buy one from a another store if i did have to pay In full.
Now afther some back and forth the store decided to give me 15% off and i did deside that i did keep it at that offer.since it was a great guitar playing wise.now i really wanted to keep this matte finish but i think i will have to polish it to posseble Get the paint spots off and posseble make the top pop a littel more.

Those parenting tips are gold but i will also add that it work greait with wife/girlfriend AS well at least if you got a handy one.

Now about upgrading.well whene i started playing In the early mid 2000.i did start with epiphone and i was Very happy.dont Get me wrong on this time frame epis was a littel hit and miss whene it did come to electric.some i still got stock to this day and some i did have to change POTs etc afther 6 months to 2-3 years.
But afther some years i did start playing out and also got on diffrent forums.and every one did tell me how great gibson was and how crappy epiphone was.ok so i did sell some of my epiphone and did buy some gibsons and i really did like gibsons.now afther 8 years give or take the honeymoon was over and my gibson did spend there life In the cases and at that point have done so some time AS well.so with the new inspired by line from epiphone i made a choose and did sell all my gibsons exept fore 3 sgj.1lpj and one bfg zw custom that are my best lp Even it got that weird buzzaw finish on the top.
Now fore me i dont see gibson AS a upgrade enymore.if you buy the top of the line epiphone like lazarus it really boils down to if you like poly or nitro finish.
Now if you are a collector and want Nice us made funiture wallhanger gibson is the way to go but fore bedrom players and people that are playing out but dont got 1-2 people to Handle you gear epiphone is the best value.
Now if you really insist on having nitro i woued recomend to find a good epi and sand it down a littel and paint it with nitro.bam best of two world and it did not cost you 3 times more.
Not saying gibson is bad but to me not a upgrade eiter and perhaps its because i am gone full circle and found out that i like poly finish and epis better.
So play your lazarus with pride and enjoy it and dont worry about upgrading unless you absolutt have to have a us made guitar with nitro.

Perspective changes everything ... When I was young it (pretty much everything) was all about what everyone thinks is cool / price / some other irrelevant criteria. Are Epiphones worse or less than Gibson... Ahh sweeping generalizations, the province of youth and ignorance

Is a particular guitar better than another guitar ... even that can be subjective (give or take functional problems )

The best guitar is the one you want to play, and makes you feel good playing it. Period.

you'd be surprised how quick black electrical tape on the head stock can turn an Epiphone into a Gibson! :rofl:

Which, of course is why, it is true:

"Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"
- Fausto Coppi

"Every time!"
- Me

ozzy wild

Reaction score
I know a lot of 59 owners did change the stopbar to aluminium and brass sadlers etc have none of you lazarus owners done that or have you all keep it stock?

fordfanjpn

Reaction score
I know a lot of 59 owners did change the stopbar to aluminium and brass sadlers etc have none of you lazarus owners done that or have you all keep it stock?
If you read through this thread you'll see that a lot of us made changes to our Lazarus guitars, including the tailpiece, bridge, studs, pickups, and so on.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Ok so i ended up keeping my lazarus:dude:
But i woued really like to see some pic from people that did polish it.before and afther if posseble.thank you
And also neck pocket pic if you can.it was one that did show one that was same AS mine on a 59 i belive but its now deleted so please show yours
Hey man I was in the same boat when I got my ADB 59 last yr .. Everyone was posting pics of their 59's and the tops looked great! I got mine and let me tell you what i was bummed out to say the least. PLus i am pretty sure that MF had sent me a return or a guitar was a demo. Anyways not going to go into detail about that but i did wind up getting a decent discount paying around 620 after tax for this guitar. Ok back to the top.. I challenge anyone of you to show me that you got a plainer top than me!! I have yet to see a top as plain as mine!! I wound up polishing the top on mine and removing the covers. The guitar is awesome plays great....
59 0011234.jpg

Surfcaster

Reaction score
Hey man I was in the same boat when I got my ADB 59 last yr .. Everyone was posting pics of their 59's and the tops looked great! I got mine and let me tell you what i was bummed out to say the least. PLus i am pretty sure that MF had sent me a return or a guitar was a demo. Anyways not going to go into detail about that but i did wind up getting a decent discount paying around 620 after tax for this guitar. Ok back to the top.. I challenge anyone of you to show me that you got a plainer top than me!! I have yet to see a top as plain as mine!! I wound up polishing the top on mine and removing the covers. The guitar is awesome plays great.... View attachment 593790
The polishing looks really nice! What product did you use?

rbraad68

Reaction score
The polishing looks really nice! What product did you use?
I used the Meguiar's scratch remover compound. I did it by hand, takes a few times but it shines up pretty nice. I wasn't going for super shiny and i didn't touch the neck just the top back and sides...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was playing my Lazarus for about an hour today and I am still in the wow factor of this guitar. Sure, I took it to my Luthier for a complete setup with fret leveling/polising/crowning and a slight nut adjustment, but that is almost a must for all guitar purchases. This guitar is setup so perfectly, so easy to tune and it stays in tune for the whole session I am playing. Even days later it might need one or two small adjustments and it is still perfectly in tune. The guitar feels great, easy to play on and move around anywhere, just an overall fantastic guitar. I purchased a Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's in Lemon Burst and even after a setup and a couple of trips back to my Luthier, it was not 100%, so I had to send it back. Big bummer, I really wanted that guitar to be 100%, but got discouraged with it. My Lazarus was great right off the bat, I just took it in for a full workup after I changed the bridge to a faber bridge with faber bridge posts. I wanted it to be as best as possible and it is a totally fantastic guitar.

While I was discouraged because of my Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's having issues, I decided to purchase an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60's. When it came it had a backbow that needed adjusting right away, and after giving the neck some relief and adjusting the bridge, she felt really good. I had to go away for the weekend, so I just let her settle in for a couple of days after the changes I made to the neck, and when I came back, she was almost perfect. I made a couple small adjustments to the bridge and wow, another fantastic guitar. I put on some locking tuners and replaced the bridge and bridge posts with Faber, and it is totally a sweet guitar. No problem bonding with this one. There is still a little bit of buzz on the low E string in a couple spots, but nothing horrible. I will probably take it in for a full workup, to make it as best as it can be, but Epiphone is doing it better than Gibson from where I am standing right now.

Last edited:

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are these true full thickness, caves tops? They look really good!

Jim85IROC

Reaction score
Are these true full thickness, caves tops? They look really good!
I'm not sure if these maple caps are a full 5/8" thick, but I suspect that they're at least close. However, the cap is plain maple, and a thin veneer of flamed maple is glued to the top, unlike with the Gibsons that use a full flamed maple cap with no veneer.

Rockabilly

Reaction score
Here is mine. Left everything stock so far. Had to adjust the truss rod quite a bit to take some relief out of the neck. I think I need to get the nut filed
A3624B1E-EE68-42F8-9002-EDF63B7451B2.jpeg
7A87F088-1826-4553-A4C5-0792C1B62F4A.jpeg
down and I’m definitely dealing with some sharp fret ends but overall I’m happy with the guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sweet new fiddle, I bet she sounds great through the Supro.

Rockabilly

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I can get a lot of tones out of her through the Supro from jazz to rockabilly to the stereotype “Les Paul /Supro” sound. It’s an amp with a lot of bottom end, I usually keep the bass dial at about 1. Sounds great with the humbuckers.

Latest Threads