Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 'Lazarus' 59 Les Paul Standard Owners Thread

ozzy wild

Reaction score
10 years ago i did not care mutch fore burst les pauls,the only one i kind of like was the cherry burst.well things change and In the last years i really got to like burst,funny thing i also got to like lemon/other yellow/orange burst that was my least favorite before.
I have been wanting a slash adf but since its now a regulare relase and i am cheap i have waited to buy one used.then i did see lazarus and i really wanted one .
then one did pop up at a local store so i did buy it and did take it home.
Well whene i did open it i must say i was disepointment.its almost look like a plain top and got almost no flame compaird to all the photos i have seen here.
Dont Get me wrong i kind of like it but it was not wath i wanted and payd fore.had this been a regulare 50 i woued have been Happy but since this is a more expensive guitar that supose to have AAAA flame top i am 50/50 on it.
Since i already have a 59 honeyburst i was unshure if i coued justifie having two 59 les pauls.so unless lazarus is smoking whene i try it later tonight i guess i have to return it.
It got a Nice dark fretboard tho.
Wath do the people on here think about this??

Attachments

• 6D821508-7DE0-4E69-BC81-A22ED9C2CBB5.jpeg
    6D821508-7DE0-4E69-BC81-A22ED9C2CBB5.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

frehley76

Reaction score
10 years ago i did not care mutch fore burst les pauls,the only one i kind of like was the cherry burst.well things change and In the last years i really got to like burst,funny thing i also got to like lemon/other yellow/orange burst that was my least favorite before.
I have been wanting a slash adf but since its now a regulare relase and i am cheap i have waited to buy one used.then i did see lazarus and i really wanted one .
Well whene i did open it i must say i was disepointment.its almost look like a plain top and got almost no flame compaird to all the photos i have seen here.
Dont Get me wrong i kind of like it but it was not wath i wanted and payd fore.had this been a regulare 50 i woued have been Happy but since this is a more expensive guitar that supose to have AAAA flame top i am 50/50 on it.
Since i already have a 59 honeyburst i was unshure if i coued justifie having two 59 les pauls.so unless lazarus is smoking whene i try it later tonight i guess i have to return it.
I kinda like that top.

Lineosight

Reaction score
I agree with frehley76, I like that top. I like the fact that there is variety in the tops, gets away from that "stamped" out of a factory feel.

But to each their own. I agree with you, give it a whirl, if it speaks to you that's all that matters in the end.

Mine is sitting right beside me now, screaming for me to plug it in and see if this amp can knock the back wall out of this room! :naughty:

Cheers

ozzy wild

Reaction score
I kind of agreed with both of you.it got some Nice pattern In the right light and angel.and i guess it will pop more if i polish it.

I think my main issues is.
1:this model is supposed to have aaaa top and it clearly do not.at 1050$ retail in my country i guess i feel a littel cheated.at least whene i wanted and expekted a more flame top like my honeyburst or better that i only payd 680$ fore..
2 if i already got a Nice flame amber/lemon burst and this was another model that did not supose to have aaaa top i think i woued been real Happy with it.
3 i usely dont worry about resale value but havin 23 guitars.24 if i keep this one i some time have to sell a guitar from time to time,to Get funds or thin the heard.and if i ever have to sell it i am worried that i will Get really lowball and a lot of complaining and posseble it will be really hard to sell since it supposed to have a aaaa flame top.
I guess i am a winey bitch that got really hige hopes about this model since i have seen so maney Nice tops here on this tread.
Its also got some scuffs and ressidue on the case.and some red paint spots In the paint along with 2 or 3 hair strais In the paint that i am gone send to the store so if i end up returning it i dont Get blaim fore it.and the store will not give me full refund.
Here are some better pic to show the top better.

Attachments

• 513B5B0F-0C3A-41A4-B759-42B763DC9C2A.jpeg
    513B5B0F-0C3A-41A4-B759-42B763DC9C2A.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 49
  • FA117263-284E-45CF-9074-8F6FDC9A07C4.jpeg
    FA117263-284E-45CF-9074-8F6FDC9A07C4.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 53
  • B7796295-C2F1-4247-A658-52C1148CA79F.jpeg
    B7796295-C2F1-4247-A658-52C1148CA79F.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 51
  • CEC60A39-106D-426B-9701-0983F67FC1EA.jpeg
    CEC60A39-106D-426B-9701-0983F67FC1EA.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 51

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I like it and think it looks sweet; a lot more unique than all the others. I would keep it and play the crap out of it, I just love these guitars. Also, it looks nicer than your 59 Standard, so much nicer looking.

Jim85IROC

Reaction score
I think my main issues is.
1:this model is supposed to have aaaa top and it clearly do not.
Yeah, I agree with that. I feel like these tops are appropriate to what most of the original bursts had, but it's definitely not AAAA. They should have just called it a flame top and left it at that. I have much cheaper guitars with much heavier flame.

ozzy wild

Reaction score
I like it and think it looks sweet; a lot more unique than all the others. I would keep it and play the crap out of it, I just love these guitars. Also, it looks nicer than your 59 Standard, so much nicer looking.
Funny you and frehley76 are saying that whene you both got some of the finest tops on yours.i was really hoping to Get at top close to yours because its really nice.ok dont you like flames?woued you care to tell why you dont like it AS mutch AS my lazarus??

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I don't like the orange up top on the body of your 59 Standard. When I purchased by Gibson Lemon Burst, I thought it had less flames than what it came with. My Gibson still looks sweet, but I was hoping it was a little bit more subtle with the flames. The top on your Lazarus is unique and different and those are the best. Mine is nice and has some pretty good flames, but your guitar is more unique.

Pic from Sweetwater
gibsonlemonburst2.jpg

When I opened the case with the light shining in my front window.

gibsonlp60slb_2.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My Lazarus looks the same at all angles, your Lazarus actually changes its look at different angles. Pretty sweet.

Also, when you look at this picture of yours, you just know right away that the Dirty Lemon Burst is a 59 right off the bat.
CEC60A39-106D-426B-9701-0983F67FC1EA.jpeg

frehley76

Reaction score
Funny you and frehley76 are saying that whene you both got some of the finest tops on yours.i was really hoping to Get at top close to yours because its really nice.ok dont you like flames?woued you care to tell why you dont like it AS mutch AS my lazarus??
I do not need tons of flame to have a nice top. I am more into it being unique. I like mine but I also like yours. I would keep that one if it played and sounded good!

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Take it back.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Its almost that i Wonder if he work at the shop i did buy it and dont want me to return it
But he's right, if you look at it form what it is and not to compare, it's a great top. Just needs good light to show it, like this.

B7796295-C2F1-4247-A658-52C1148CA79F.jpg

ozzy wild

Reaction score
I do not need tons of flame to have a nice top. I am more into it being unique. I like mine but I also like yours. I would keep that one if it played and sounded good!
Good point.i have only got time to play it Once a littel agenst my 59.
Agenst my 59 it was noting special it did feel just the same so eiter i got a 59 with a littel tinner neck og lazarus got a littel bigger like the 59.
the only diffrence is that my 59 got pickups that are less potted because they feedback like crazy and lazarus does not so i guess they are more potted.
Dont Get me wrong its not a bad guitar and posseble some of the best les pauls epiphone has made along with the regulaire 59 model.
and it woued serve AS a good backup guitar to the 59 or vise versa and if you did need to change you woued not feel eny diffrence.
That said the more i look at it,more blemishes i do find and its wath i will call a b stock.also i am pretty shure its a return AS well because the pole pices are raised and i also see wax and finger prints on the pickups under the plastic piece that cover the pickups.
I dont think i can justifie paying full price fore a second hand b stock with a lesser top.
I have send pic to the store so unless they are willing to give me a good discount i am pretty shure i will have to return it.

ozzy wild

Reaction score
But he's right, if you look at it form what it is and not to compare, it's a great top. Just needs good light to show it, like this.

View attachment 591886
Its been clody and have been raining here fore over a week so i havent seen it i proper day light.but you guys are right.the more i turn it In diffrent angels it really got a Nice top tho not a aaaa top.its also looks better with the pickguard off.
I also suspect that polish it will make the top pop better AS well.since it is more a matt finish the top looks more plain than it woued if it was more gloss.i guess those more flamey tops pop more under that matt finish.i Wonder if most have polish it or keeper it stock.

Last edited:

Lineosight

Reaction score
@ozzy wild , not that my playing is "public worthy" but one of the things I did think about when I got the Lazarus was some punk could steal 3 of these before I'd be out as much as a Gibson 50s Standard, much less a Gibson '59 reissue.. and I'd have 3 guitar cases to store their replacements. :rofl:

just a thought...

omm

Reaction score
Watch out when dealing with WW, no matter what their 'why order from us...?' blurb says.
I bought mine from them and it was a disaster.
It was so bad, it had to be returned to the factory, due to 'fret heights that were erratic.'
It's over 3 months, and I've yet to see it returned.

Latest Threads