Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 'Lazarus' 59 Les Paul Standard Owners Thread

fordfanjpn

Reaction score
She‘s back…
I really like the aged hardware and pickup covers. After professional setup and fret adjustment including sharp fret ends she plays way better.

Also the Faber parts improve sustain and attack significantly…

View attachment 579073 View attachment 579074

It looks great! I agree that the Faber bridge and tailpiece make a difference. I went a bit farther with mine and got aged knobs, poker chip, strap buttons, screws for the pickup surrounds and tuners, but all of that is just cosmetic. I can't honestly say that it plays better than my Tokai's, but it's not far behind, and it sounds fantastic.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
send them to me! :thumbs:

I'm a tone knob user and rarely have them dimed.. you've messed with em, though..

Lightmanager

Reaction score
I find it interesting that you guys like the MK2 pickups in the Tokai's. I'm finding them to be too hot and bright and not very well balanced in my new LS196, so I have ordered some pickups to replace them. I don't use much gain for my tone, staying mostly in the clean to slightly overdriven area. Maybe that's the difference.

It is definitely a matter of taste - I like 80s high gain sounds a lot. For these kind of sounds the MK2s are just perfect.

Lightmanager

Reaction score
It looks great! I agree that the Faber bridge and tailpiece make a difference. I went a bit farther with mine and got aged knobs, poker chip, strap buttons, screws for the pickup surrounds and tuners, but all of that is just cosmetic. I can't honestly say that it plays better than my Tokai's, but it's not far behind, and it sounds fantastic.

Actually I also ordered some aged knobs from Crazyparts but unfortunately they didn‘t fit so I had to send them back.
For sure I will add some more parts but I think I substituted the most important ones already

fordfanjpn

Reaction score
Actually I also ordered some aged knobs from Crazyparts but unfortunately they didn‘t fit so I had to send them back.
For sure I will add some more parts but I think I substituted the most important ones already

I replaced the pots with VIPots so I had to get some inch-size knobs to fit the pots. The CTS pots in the Lazarus are metric size.

rich85

Reaction score
Yeah I am going to return it. I had preordered mine for $1750. This was my first Epiphone so I wasn’t sure what to expect to be honest but my first impression was underwhelming. Considering the limited run I am actually really surprised how hit or miss this guitar is.

Riffs and Licks music just got one each for their Newstead and Gold Coast store. I played the one at the Newstead store. Sounded amazing. Looked good.

E54D05E8-E0B1-421D-BA0E-52C7050A4DC3.jpeg

Reyfx

Reaction score
Riffs and Licks music just got one each for their Newstead and Gold Coast store. I played the one at the Newstead store. Sounded amazing. Looked good.

View attachment 579595
Thanks Rich, that one looks nice! Seems like there are quite a few still floating around.

I figured for not much more I could get a Gibson and then not much more turned into almost double. In the end I got a Gibson Les Paul Special in TV yellow.

rich85

Reaction score
Thanks Rich, that one looks nice! Seems like there are quite a few still floating around.

I figured for not much more I could get a Gibson and then not much more turned into almost double. In the end I got a Gibson Les Paul Special in TV yellow.

Oh sweet! Those are insanely good sounding guitars. Enjoy!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, I put the Gotoh Kluson type locking tuners on my Lazarus, as well as the Faber Bridge. The Gotoh Locking tuner screw holes matched right up, but the covers that come with the Epiphone Kluson tuners were not big enough, so I did have to pop them out and use the Gotoh covers. So not just a drop right in, but still not a big deal. One of the pics below shows side by side, the original a little taller/thinner and the Gotoh on the left a little shorter/thicker.

switch1.jpg

faber1.jpg

faber2.jpg

orig2.jpg

gotoh1.jpg

gotoh2.jpg

gotoh3.jpg

gotoh4.jpg

gotoh5.jpg

Gotoh Locking above and Epiphone Kluson below.

orig1.jpg

faber3.jpg

leifpaul

Reaction score
Ok, I put the Gotoh Kluson type locking tuners on my Lazarus, as well as the Faber Bridge. The Gotoh Locking tuner screw holes matched right up, but the covers that come with the Epiphone Kluson tuners were not big enough, so I did have to pop them out and use the Gotoh covers. So not just a drop right in, but still not a big deal. One of the pics below shows side by side, the original a little taller/thinner and the Gotoh on the left a little shorter/thicker.

View attachment 580242
View attachment 580243
View attachment 580253
View attachment 580244
View attachment 580245
View attachment 580246
View attachment 580247
View attachment 580248
View attachment 580249

Gotoh Locking above and Epiphone Kluson below.

View attachment 580251
View attachment 580255
Do the 2-screw trussrodcover conversion too .

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Not worried about the truss rod cover really, I don't look up at the headstock much. I do like locking tuners though, makes for a quick and painless string change when needed or if I want to try some different brand/style strings.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
It took a bit of back-and-forth adjustments to get the bridge height right, but it is good now. I will probably still get this guitar professionally setup with a fret leveling/crowning, just to get it perfect. So when I get the text that my Gibson is completed, I will take my Lazarus with me to drop off when I pick up the Gibson.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, I played her today for a little over an hour and what a joy. This girl feels/plays so smooth, I was not even plugged in today, just acoustic pleasure. I love it!

Latest Threads