Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 'Lazarus' 59 Les Paul Standard Owners Thread

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, congrats! That is a very sweet top on that one, I like it. :drool:

omm

Reaction score
Just heard back from the tech I sent mine to.
He said the frets are a mess and will ask Gibson if they'll replace it.
I'm not so sure about this, as I really liked my top, and the fact they're no longer easily available.

(And Wildwood told me their tech definitely checked-out the guitar - let the buyer beware!)

DrBGood

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about this, as I really liked my top, and the fact they're no longer easily available.

(And Wildwood told me their tech definitely checked-out the guitar - let the buyer beware!)
Hope the tech didn't mess up the frets and is trying to cover it !

LuthierVandross

Reaction score

Shoulda just sold it to me like I offered…

matchman

Reaction score
I was able to still place an order last night.
May the wood gods smile upon my 59 top.

Last edited:

hepsen

Reaction score
I am sure next year they will come up with something new, like LP 57, or 59 in a different color. Plus don't forget about Joe, he will manage to hunt down another vintage guitar, which will be made in next signature.
I'd love a replica of his ES 1275 Double Neck. That would be really special after many LP's in the past years.

KCLP

Reaction score
I was starting to look for something a bit more in the “Greeny” color range and then this showed up. I was a bit late to this party and had to order through Joe’s website. I’m glad I did. The customer service was outstanding. This guitar is a step up from the 59 Epi and it seems like they applied some lessons learned. The binding is more visible and the finish is better. The 59 had a grainy orange peel and I wasted no time in wet sanding away that texture. For the JB version, the finish is smooth but a bit eggshell in terms of gloss. I will probably leave this finish alone although I wish it showcased the top a bit more as the flame is deep and has a lot of movement. Weighs in at 8 lb 11 oz and is balanced well and feels just right. I removed the pickguard and added some spare reflector knobs to enhance the Greeny look. I will probably switch out for some aged hardware at some point after my wallet recovers. The guitar looks great but sounds and plays even better after a bit of dialing in the setup. The only thing I don’t like is the case. The graphics from “Fragile” to “Nerdville” are cheesy but I would rather have it on the case than the guitar. At least I can sell the case and get a different one.

BE195DF1-9149-4506-8DFE-A063198239A1.jpeg

DrBGood

Reaction score
I was starting to look for something a bit more in the “Greeny” color range and then this showed up. I was a bit late to this party and had to order through Joe’s website. I’m glad I did. The customer service was outstanding. This guitar is a step up from the 59 Epi and it seems like they applied some lessons learned. The binding is more visible and the finish is better. The 59 had a grainy orange peel and I wasted no time in wet sanding away that texture. For the JB version, the finish is smooth but a bit eggshell in terms of gloss. I will probably leave this finish alone although I wish it showcased the top a bit more as the flame is deep and has a lot of movement. Weighs in at 8 lb 11 oz and is balanced well and feels just right. I removed the pickguard and added some spare reflector knobs to enhance the Greeny look. I will probably switch out for some aged hardware at some point after my wallet recovers. The guitar looks great but sounds and plays even better after a bit of dialing in the setup. The only thing I don’t like is the case. The graphics from “Fragile” to “Nerdville” are cheesy but I would rather have it on the case than the guitar. At least I can sell the case and get a different one.

View attachment 574173
You got a nice one !

fry

Reaction score
Looks like the guitar is back in stock at JB site.
Yes, Joe is selling it again. I keep checking Reverb, and Chicago Music Exchange just put one up for pre-order with a December delivery at original retail price. All those listings up to $1500 are just hanging there. I think people misjudged this, thinking they’d flip ‘em for a quick profit.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sorry but for a little bit more you can get a Gibson. Why people spend that kinda money is beyond me.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Well... since there are still some available in the market place, these will not go up in price and become a hot item yet. Someone here in San Diego has been trying to sell there Joe B. 58 Custom Black Beauty from last year on Craigs list for a while now. First it was up for $1800, then $1500 and now $1299.

I just finished playing my Lazarus for about 2 hours unplugged. All I have to say is wow, I just love this guitar it has such a sweet acoustic tone to it and I am sure this comes through the amp when I play plugged in. I promise to put together a nice video sometime in the next week or so, to showcase the playability and tone from this great guitar. I really am a Slim Taper neck fan, but I just can't stop picking up this guitar whenever I feel like playing.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sorry but for a little bit more you can get a Gibson. Why people spend that kinda money is beyond me.
Sorry... but a Gibson with a 59 neck and a top like this will run you easily in the 4k-6k range minimum.

Also... Since you are such a Gibson fan, we are glad you are hanging around us Epiphone fans, maybe it will rub off on you. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest Threads