Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Lazarus 1959 Les Paul Standard - new JB signature guitar

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I do love that this guitar has the 1 piece neck.

I wish that with all these 50’s and 60’s guitars they would do just one with Ultra Modern weight relief so it comes in at 8 pounds. My neck can’t handle any of these awesome models.
Mine only weights in at 8.4lbs, the Joe B website still has some. Give them a call and ask for the lightest one they have.

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
It seems interest in this guitar declined compared to what they were selling for around and soon after the release date. Looking at Reverb, there are some guitars offered below $1000. Sales went from around $1300 to about $1050 (last 2 sales).

Despite being sold out everywhere except JB store, Lazarus lost interest in it faster than comparable Epiphone1959 Outfit. It's also supposed to be rarer (limited run) than 59 outfit, so not sure why this is happening.

Any thoughts?

BeautyOfTheBurst

Reaction score
It seems interest in this guitar declined compared to what they were selling for around and soon after the release date. Looking at Reverb, there are some guitars offered below $1000. Sales went from around $1300 to about $1050 (last 2 sales).

Despite being sold out everywhere except JB store, Lazarus lost interest in it faster than comparable Epiphone1959 Outfit. It's also supposed to be rarer (limited run) than 59 outfit, so not sure why this is happening.

Any thoughts?
Time will tell. Look how Amos developed. Anyways, I'd recommend not to buy a guitar (at least not in this price range) with the focus on gaining value.

fry

Reaction score

Any thoughts?
I saw a lot of variation in the tops of these, they were all over the place. I only saw a couple on here that looked absolutely great, and it seemed to go downhill fast after that. I got one, and the top was nothing great. I ended up selling it, knowing I would never really be happy with it.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I saw a lot of variation in the tops of these, they were all over the place. I only saw a couple on here that looked absolutely great, and it seemed to go downhill fast after that. I got one, and the top was nothing great. I ended up selling it, knowing I would never really be happy with it.
I have been following the buys on it too and you're right, very few have a great top. Just on that criteria, I would not buy one without excellent photo documentation or having it in my hands.

fry

Reaction score
I have been following the buys on it too and you're right, very few have a great top. Just on that criteria, I would not buy one without excellent photo documentation or having it in my hands.
I got caught up in the whole thing, and decided to roll the dice. I bought mine directly from Joe‘s website, foolishly thinking that maybe those had some kind of edge. It was pretty unremarkable when I opened it up, and I just knew that I was never going to be thrilled with it. I ended up selling it, made a little money in the process. The guy that bought it was happy as a kid at Christmas.

darkvoice

Reaction score
It seems expectations were too high, but I think it's not realistic to anticipate that brand a new guitar was going to look like Joe's 60+ years old Lazarus. IMHO time contributes to how the wood looks like, certainly in 50-60 yrs Epiphone Lazarus guitars will different than new ones out of the box.

darkvoice

Reaction score

I've also noticed that even great looking examples of Epiphone version had to be viewed at a certain angle to get the best look. Few that I saw changed the look as I rotated them.

I think sellers and people who post pics of their guitars take those photos from the best angles possible, but when someone opens the box and the viewing angle is not optimal they get disappointed.

frehley76

Reaction score
I am very happy with mine, the case is defective though.
guitar.jpg

Lightmanager

Reaction score
Happy with mine as well…OK, definitely not a AAAA-top but still nicely figured…
What i really like is that brownish color shade; not as yellow as some i have seen.

I think it looks even better when the aged hardware and pickup covers are installed.

AA4103C5-8A86-4676-92D1-906AB93DC996.jpeg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I actually think I only saw like 2 tops that were just ok, the rest looked great each in their own way. The most important thing is how they feel/play and sound, which mine it really great. I just love it. Here it is standing up between two Gibson Les Pauls. All 3 of these guitars have different necks and pickups, and are just awesome guitars.

Gibson Pickup Comparison 1 Epiphone 2 Gibsons

Last edited:

Latest Threads