Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Lazarus 1959 Les Paul Standard - new JB signature guitar

ben2e

Reaction score
Epiphone site says the Lazarus is "Aged Gloss" vs "Aged" for the 59. They don't say what that is. I'd thought it was like a VOS though. Darn. That would make the color and higher grade maple top the only difference ?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, Lazarus is the same Aged Gloss Vos type finish, just like the Standard 59's, but the top has a bit more going on and I think it just looks better with that Dirty LemonBurst. I think they have a nice Vintage look and appeal to them.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am seeing on the Epiphone site about the specs of this guitar, it has the Gibson BB2 in the neck and Gibson BB3 in the bridge.

Reaction score
I love my 1955 Epi Custom. But it’s got the matte clear coat style finish, not the crap I scraped off the 1959 outfit I had.

MikeT57

Reaction score
The weather cleared up so I was able to get outside and get some photos in daylight.
Here is the top on mine from MF/GC that was delivered 2 days ago:

View attachment 565056

I am pretty happy with the top, but I am considering polishing the top a bit to get a little more gloss on it. Not alot, but just a little bit more than what it is.

Pls let me know what you use to do that...i just bought one myself

Reaction score
Perhaps it's better to not mess with the finish on Lazarus and 1959 Outfit?
Why not? The 59 finish reminded me of bird shit on a barn find, it’s gross. It’s not even really a finish. Through the process of removing it, I discovered this is just a another layer of shit on top of a poly finish. They made the guitar the old Epi way, dunked it in poly then sprayed this stuff on it. It was not paint.
My 1955 Inspired by Custom has a matte clear coat (poly probably) that is so much more durable, feel better and is over all a way better finish.
If the Lazarus had the better matte finish, I’d get one.
Seeing as how people have polished their 59’s and like them better speaks volumes for their distaste in the finish that was there.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Why not? The 59 finish reminded me of bird shit on a barn find, it’s gross. It’s not even really a finish. Through the process of removing it, I discovered this is just a another layer of shit on top of a poly finish. They made the guitar the old Epi way, dunked it in poly then sprayed this stuff on it. It was not paint.
My 1955 Inspired by Custom has a matte clear coat (poly probably) that is so much more durable, feel better and is over all a way better finish.
If the Lazarus had the better matte finish, I’d get one.
Seeing as how people have polished their 59’s and like them better speaks volumes for their distaste in the finish that was there.
Chances of messing up the finish are quite high. I remember reading that once you strip dull top coat the remaining finish is quite thin. You really need to know what you are going, or you can end up with wholes in the finish.

Reaction score
Chances of messing up the finish are quite high. I remember reading that once you strip dull top coat the remaining finish is quite thin. You really need to know what you are going, or you can end up with wholes in the finish.
You’ve not refinished an Epiphone have you? To remove the poly finish (which the 1959 has UNDER the “aged” finish) you need a scraper, heat gun and the want to get past the poly. But once you strip it back to wood, it opens the sound of the guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
There are already a couple of these for sale on reverb with nice tops for $1200-$1500.

Latest Threads