Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Lazarus 1959 Les Paul Standard - new JB signature guitar

darkvoice

Reaction score
I came across this info for Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Lazarus 1959 Les Paul Standard, which looks like it will be soon released. I can't find any mention of this guitar on JB's site. I know that he acquired a Lazarus 1959 LP and if this comes through is will be Joe's first 1959 signature.
L_5.png
L_3.png

Info:

Solid body electric based on Joe Bonamassa's 1959 Les Paul Standard.
When blues-rock guitar legend Joe Bonamassa found the original "Lazarus," a rare 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard, it was in poor condition. Like the Lazarus of Biblical texts, Joe's Les Paul guitar was brought back to life. Once it was restored, its stunningly figured top was revealed. Joe Bonamassa is once again collaborating with Epiphone, this time on a guitar inspired by his Gibson Lazarus 1959 Les Paul Standard. Featuring a mahogany body with a maple cap and topped with a wide-grain AAAA flame maple veneer, it's outfitted with Gibson BurstBucker pickups and ’50s style wiring with CTS potentiometers and Mallory capacitors. It comes in a vintage-style case with Bonamassa graphics with a Certificate of Authenticity.

FEATURES
  • Maple top and mahogany body
  • Mahogany neck with Rounded C profile
  • Indian laurel fingerboard
  • Dual Gibson BurstBucker humbuckers
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
Epiphone Joe Bonamassa "Lazarus" 1959 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar

BODY
  • Body Type: Single Cutaway Solid Body
  • Top wood: Maple
  • Body wood: Mahogany
NECK
  • Neck shape: Rounded C
  • Neck wood: Mahogany
  • Scale length: 24.75"
  • Truss rod: Standard
FINGERBOARD
  • Material: indian laurel
  • Number of frets: 22
  • Inlays: Trapezoid
  • Nut width/material: 1.69 "/GraphTech
ELECTRONICS
  • Configuration: HH
  • Neck: Proprietary Humbucker
  • Bridge: Proprietary Humbucker
  • Control layout: Individual volume, Individual volume, Individual tone, Individual tone
  • Pickup switch: 3-Way
HARDWARE
  • Bridge type: Fixed Bridge
  • Bridge design: Epiphone LockTone
  • Tailpiece: Stopbar
  • Tuning machines: Epiphone Deluxe
  • Color: Nickel
OTHER
  • Number of strings: 6 String
  • Case: Hardshell Case
  • Orientation: Right-Handed
Price - $899

L_1.png
L_2.png
L_4.png
L_6.png
L_7.png
L_8.png

Similar case to the on LP 1959 Outfit.

Last edited:

Wudchuk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I also heard or read about an Epi JB model coming out soon, hopes up!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like we need another Backordered Epiphone...
The show.... and the marketing... must go on.
JB has the signature Nocaster, but that's the high end and not an "Everyday Joe" model at $4500
Epiphone releases a new JB model every year because there is a contract to do so.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Do you know for how many more years that contract is for?
As long as Joe and Epiphone continue to make money ;)
Epi started with a Goldtop in 2013, but he also had a deal with Gibson for a black-back Goldtop Studio.

2018 started the release of two models each year, one with the "vanity" inlay... and these things still sell out quickly, I can't imagine either Joe or Gibson putting this cash cow out to pasture any time soon.
I got in on the pre-order for the black beauty and received it pretty quickly, 2nd week of October.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Epiphone's version is not exact match to that color, it's more orange looking, while original has more yellow tone to it.
Or the color balance on the photos is off.
The production "NormBurst" were not the harsh "tomato soup burst" depicted in the pre-production images.
Some colors are hard to shoot, and if the photographer uses a white card rather than a grey scale czrd, reds and amber tones can be off by a fair amount.
Reds are very hard to shoot.

darkvoice

Reaction score
The production "NormBurst" were not the harsh "tomato soup burst" depicted in the pre-production images.
Some colors are hard to shoot, and if the photographer uses a white card rather than a grey scale czrd, reds and amber tones can be off by a fair amount.
I think you are correct, I also think these are not the final photos.
Guitar in those photos looks like a prototype - Joe Bonamassa is not written anywhere on the guitar, normally his name is on the headstock or at least on the truss rod cover.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I think you are correct, I also think these are not the final photos.
Guitar in those photos looks like a prototype - Joe Bonamassa is not written anywhere on the guitar, normally his name is on the headstock or at least on the truss rod cover.
The Black Beauty only has it on the case and the COA picture taken of him sitting in his Memphis condo.
Same case design as this one, only black:

JBCase_1.jpg

JB_Body1.jpg

JB_HS_Frt.jpg

JB_HS_Back.jpg

rich85

Reaction score
They need to bring back his older sigs

1. The Firebird 1 in Tobacco only

2. The Goldtop in a darker shade and new headstock

This just looks like a Slash AFD with Burstbuckers. Mehhhh.

USTTRM

Reaction score
Noticed that it gets BBs while the Slash got Pro buckers.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Maybe they should hire a good photographer with Photoshop skills. They should know by now that the first photo of a new model they put out there will be shared thousands of times and will be dissected. No reason whatsoever not to come up with correct colors nowadays.

I'm not a pro and I came up with this in 15 minutes.

colors adjusted.jpg

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
Maybe they should hire a good photographer with Photoshop skills. They should know by now that the first photo of a new model they put out there will be shared thousands of times and will be dissected. No reason whatsoever not to come up with correct colors nowadays.

I'm not a pro and I came up with this in 15 minutes.

yes, initial impressions are crucial, they have to do a better job on first photos.

darkvoice

Reaction score
here's a video on Lazarus:

It looks nice based on this info, comparable to 59 Outfit. I think this one will be popular.

Latest Threads