Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Guitar

steelers

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum so please bear with me if I ask something that has been asked in the past. I recently purchased a Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul. The guitar is in perfect shape however, the G string constantly goes out of tune. When I took it to the guitar shop they said that's "normal". It is not normal to me and I have been using an inexpensive Squier Telecaster for 5 years. I can still return the guitar because I have 30 days to return it. I hate to return it but, I am concerned. Any suggestions on what might be happening and how it can be fixed?

Thanks!

CoatedCrimson

Reaction score
You shouldnt return this beautiful guitar. The problem is probably in the nut. What i usually do is add graphite in the slots. The strings are most likely binding to the nut. And if its still goes out of tune you should switch out the nut. Its pretty easy. Hope this helps

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You shouldnt return this beautiful guitar. The problem is probably in the nut. What i usually do is add graphite in the slots. The strings are most likely binding to the nut. And if its still goes out of tune you should switch out the nut. Its pretty easy. Hope this helps

Very true! Though before you take the guitar in to get the nut changed, have it get professionally set up (preferably not by someone at GC). I know when I used to string my Dean VX, the tuners we're ordered like that of a LP, and I wouldn't do as good of a job on the right side, as I would the left side. It still kind of confuses me :p But if it still happens after the graphite and a pro set up, then maybe considering a new nut would be the next option. But I also know what the tech at GC was saying by it's "normal". It kind of is, but all guitars don't come stock with graphite in the nut.

budg

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum so please bear with me if I ask something that has been asked in the past. I recently purchased a Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Les Paul. The guitar is in perfect shape however, the G string constantly goes out of tune. When I took it to the guitar shop they said that's "normal". It is not normal to me and I have been using an inexpensive Squier Telecaster for 5 years. I can still return the guitar because I have 30 days to return it. I hate to return it but, I am concerned. Any suggestions on what might be happening and how it can be fixed?

Thanks!
Did you lubricate the nut while you were changing strings?Everyone wants to point the fingers at the tuners without lubricating the nut.The nut isnt the most stellar, but with some lubrication can be quite useable.I have an epi dot and a LP .Neither have a problem with tuning.And definetely change the strings right away.Those stock strings are junk.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't try any home remedies yet. Epiphones are not known for quality hardware, so take that thing to a luthier and tell the guy you want a good, bone nut cut just for you and a setup. Probably under $100 for the whole thing, and you'll notice the difference right away.

DaveM

Reaction score
The Bonamassa already has an upgraded nut over the regular Epiphone plastic/nylon nut. It is very similar to Tusq, although Epiphone just refers to it as synthtic bone.

First step I would take is replace the strings, while doing so, check how the string fits in the nut slots. You shouldn't have to push them into place and they should easily slide back and forth through the slot. If you feel any binding then the nut needs to be slotted properly. If there isn't any binding then add some lubrication and string it up.

If it still goes out of tune then a trip to a tech/luthier is in order if you don't feel comfortable in doing futher work on it.

I also own a Bonamassa, plus three other Epi's. The Bonamassa is the only one I haven't changed the nut on. I replaced the stock nuts with Tusq or Tusq XL on the others. The Bonamassa nut is so similar to Tusq I didn't feel the need to replace it.

steelers

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for the input. When I received the guitar I immediately had the strings changed at Guitar Center. I absolutely abhor the place and have been very unhappy with their "customer service". If they had been helpful I'm sure I would have no thoughts of returning it. I bought the guitar from them because I was told it was the last one at any Guitar Center nationwide. I could not locate one at any other dealer. I do not know much about guitars so the only thing they did was change the strings. The tech said it was an excellent playing and sounding guitar. I hate to have to pay to have any work done to the guitar. I paid $90 for a Squier Tele and have played it five years with no problems whatsoever. Based on this I was disappointed to pay $700 for a guitar that has a string that will not stay in tune.

Two questions:

1. Where the nut meets the head stock at the top it is set "normally". On the bottom where the nut meets the headstock it is at least 2mm deeper into the headstock than the top. Is this a problem and could it be causing the G string to go out of tune? I was told it's not a problem by GC.
2. When the guitar arrived the case shows wear marks in several places and a bad tear in the leather in another place. GC said they would give me a $40 refund which is half the amount paid for the case. That bothers me because this case is 1 of 1000 so no replacement. Any thoughts? I'm wondering how much that will decrease the re-sell value if I ever decide to sell it.

Thanks again.

DaveM

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for the input. When I received the guitar I immediately had the strings changed at Guitar Center. I absolutely abhor the place and have been very unhappy with their "customer service". If they had been helpful I'm sure I would have no thoughts of returning it. I bought the guitar from them because I was told it was the last one at any Guitar Center nationwide. I could not locate one at any other dealer. I do not know much about guitars so the only thing they did was change the strings. The tech said it was an excellent playing and sounding guitar. I hate to have to pay to have any work done to the guitar. I paid $90 for a Squier Tele and have played it five years with no problems whatsoever. Based on this I was disappointed to pay $700 for a guitar that has a string that will not stay in tune.

Two questions:

1. Where the nut meets the head stock at the top it is set "normally". On the bottom where the nut meets the headstock it is at least 2mm deeper into the headstock than the top. Is this a problem and could it be causing the G string to go out of tune? I was told it's not a problem by GC.
2. When the guitar arrived the case shows wear marks in several places and a bad tear in the leather in another place. GC said they would give me a $40 refund which is half the amount paid for the case. That bothers me because this case is 1 of 1000 so no replacement. Any thoughts? I'm wondering how much that will decrease the re-sell value if I ever decide to sell it.

Thanks again.

A picture of the nut/headstock would be helpful. But what you are describing sounds normal, the nut looks deeper at the fretboard side then the tuner side because of the neck angle.

As for paying for setup work it kinda sucks but not out of the ordinary, you can save money and become your own tech. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then it will cost extra. It's not limited to Epiphone either, I have played new Gibson's, Fender's, PRS, etc. that would require some work to feel right for me.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Bonamassa already has an upgraded nut over the regular Epiphone plastic/nylon nut. It is very similar to Tusq, although Epiphone just refers to it as synthtic bone.

First step I would take is replace the strings, while doing so, check how the string fits in the nut slots. You shouldn't have to push them into place and they should easily slide back and forth through the slot. If you feel any binding then the nut needs to be slotted properly. If there isn't any binding then add some lubrication and string it up.

If it still goes out of tune then a trip to a tech/luthier is in order if you don't feel comfortable in doing futher work on it.

I also own a Bonamassa, plus three other Epi's. The Bonamassa is the only one I haven't changed the nut on. I replaced the stock nuts with Tusq or Tusq XL on the others. The Bonamassa nut is so similar to Tusq I didn't feel the need to replace it.

And the material matters, but also the craftsmanship. Again, Epi is not known for good materials or real good craftsmanship. So, get your guitar to a luthier and have the luthier make you a new, custom nut for YOUR guitar and YOUR string gauge.

You can use graphite, lots of stuff to lube the nut. Bandaid. You need a GOOD nut that's not trapping the strings and it's not killing your tone.

Also make sure you have a good bridge and your frets are leveled. Epi upgrades are usually crap to less crappy, but not really a huge deal. Again, don't forget the setup.

A good setup will get you a nice neck. Replacing the hardware is not that expensive and if you plan on keeping that guitar, it's a good thing.

I wish the OP lots of luck with that guitar, I love Bonamassa's style and music but I'll be damned if I ever buy a "signature" from Epiphone! If buying an Epi is about value, then this kills the entire concept.

steelers

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone again for their input. I am going to keep the guitar and will take into consideration what everyone suggested. Thanks again.

epiphone5150

Reaction score
My JB had the same issue and a little graphite cleared the problem up and no further issues. Its a great guitar and for the haters out there, try and find another signature model for under a grand!

Latest Threads