Epiphone Joe B Flying V Amos: Keep, Fix or Return?

Would you keep, fix or just return?

• Keep, don't worry about it

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Find good tech and have fixed

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Return that turkey

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Big fan of turtles

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

mjross

Reaction score
Well, yes. For the price and the state of the thing this one's not twirling mine TBF :) I've no issue with the Amos per se - as I've said above, I've never seen one in the flesh/played one (and we don't tend to get the groovier Epi stuff over here anyway) - just that this example is one I'd personally pass on. Not because it's an Amos, not because it's an Epi but just because it's f***ed.

I am beginning to see why there is some much love for the Amos, though, (having been a sceptic) and I'd really like to have a go on one :) Not much chance over here, I suspect, but my eyes are peeled :)

As you say though, you've got to play what you like :) I really like guitars :)
Hear that! Rock on Sir…

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Pondcaster: I am not a luthier but I used to restore and refinish antique furniture as a hobby. I can’t count the times that I removed or partially removed the finish and found that the small crack was not a finish crack. The crack was in the wood and would separate under moderate pressure. The only fix was to break the material completely apart, glue it and clamp it before doing anything else. Of course with a table leg, I didn’t have to also deal with truss rods and fingerboards! And I was working on a piece of furniture that I paid $20 or less for at a garage sale!

When I lived in Oklahoma City, I had a friendly relationship with a guy named Ron Lira, owner of Honest Ron’s Guitar Shop. He is a first class luthier. He advised me not to buy that crap about “finish cracks” in poly guitars. He said if the poly is cracked, the wood underneath is compromised, so best avoid the guitar — or don’t pay much for it. I learned that poly is far different from lacquer which naturally develops true finish cracks with age and/or sun exposure. He said poly remains more flexible than the wood beneath it, If the poly is cracked, the wood is holding together by a wing and a prayer! And the cracks on the neck of your guitar begin where the nut is mounted and run to the back and downward along the neck, where most neck cracks are evident on Gibson type guitars.Your guitar has far more cracks than sellers have tried to pass off on me as finish cracks (without success). Further, there is finish chipping on yours between the neck and binding, indicating that there has been movement between the neck and fretboard. Your guitar (IMO) is in serious bad shape.

Sorry for the long post. But the “finish cracks in poly” stories are big rip offs, and yours is the worst I have seen. Consider why your guitar was sold by the former owner in the first place.

Last edited:

pondcaster

Reaction score
Pondcaster: I am not a luthier but I used to restore and refinish antique furniture as a hobby. I can’t count the times that I removed or partially removed the finish and found that the small crack was not a finish crack. The crack was in the wood and would separate under moderate pressure. The only fix was to break the material completely apart, glue it and clamp it before doing anything else. Of course with a table leg, I didn’t have to also deal with truss rods and fingerboards! And I was working on a piece of furniture that I paid $20 or less for at a garage sale!

When I lived in Oklahoma City, I had a friendly relationship with a guy named Ron Lira, owner of Honest Ron’s Guitar Shop. He is a first class luthier. He advised me not to buy that crap about “finish cracks” in poly guitars. He said if the poly is cracked, the wood underneath is compromised, so best avoid the guitar — or don’t pay much for it. I learned that poly is far different from lacquer which naturally develops true finish cracks with age and/or sun exposure. He said poly remains more flexible than the wood beneath it, If the poly is cracked, the wood is holding together by a wing and a prayer! And the cracks on the neck of your guitar begin where the nut is mounted and run to the back and downward along the neck, where most neck cracks are evident on Gibson type guitars.Your guitar has far more cracks than sellers have tried to pass off on me as finish cracks (without success). Further, there is finish chipping on yours between the neck and binding, indicating that there has been movement between the neck and fretboard. Your guitar (IMO) is in serious bad shape.

Sorry for the long post. But the “finish cracks in poly” stories are big rip offs, and yours is the worst I have seen. Consider why your guitar was sold by the former owner in the first place.
You are awesome and confirmed all my fears. I appreciate your help a ton.

As much as I wish it were tolerable, Wounded Amos will be returned. Most likely tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
And, sir, I wish you the best in finding an Amos at a decent price without probable structural issues.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
pillbug, I think the “big fan of turtles” option on the poll was just to deviate from the usual “rats ass” fourth option to polls on this board. But as a big supporter of wildlife protection, it is great that you saved a turtle. I have seen deer, bear, and mountain lion in my yard. They weren’t doing anything destructive, so I just let them alone. Haven’t seen any turtles (or tortoises ) here in the SW Colorado mountains, but I’d be nice to them too.

pondcaster

Reaction score
So, was planning on running Wounded Amos down to sparkleburg GC to return this afternoon and my plan was to keep checking GC/reverb for anyone selling an Amos for a good deal.

Was about to start packing him up and figured I should look at the listings since I'd not this morning yet.

Low and behold! One got listed this morning in excellent condition. Here's the kicker: essentially the same price as F**ked Amos.

Read fine print/description. Made sure no issues. Excellent condition with case. Bought immediately.

Now really looking forward to taking WA back, getting a few packs of strings, and waiting for a UPS delivery next week.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Great! After I was advised by a trusted luthier to avoid guitars with “finish cracks” on the neck, I have avoided ones with even small ones downward from the nut. But your Amos had more problems than that. You are making a good move!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Great! After I was advised by a trusted luthier to avoid guitars with “finish cracks” on the neck, I have avoided ones with even small ones downward from the nut. But your Amos had more problems than that. You are making a good move!
Of course with hindsight, feel like I dodged a bullet and lucked into the one I was hoping for.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's posts and thoughts. This place rocks.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Of course with hindsight, feel like I dodged a bullet and lucked into the one I was hoping for.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's posts and thoughts. This place rocks.
Hell yeah man congrats!! Now you just have to return the other one and your good to go...

darkvoice

Reaction score
Pic #2 looks like crack in the wood. You also have checking in finish. Even without wood crack checking would bother me a lot. These are major issues, which have big impact on the price.

I would return this guitar and pay more for one in a better condition.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
In the sub-forum Members Showcase and Reviews here in MLP there is a thread entitled “cracked neck”. The guitar pictured there has the same symptoms as the guitars in this thread. That thread is good reading for anybody concerned about this issue.

pondcaster

Reaction score
In the sub-forum Members Showcase and Reviews here in MLP there is a thread entitled “cracked neck”. The guitar pictured there has the same symptoms as the guitars in this thread. That thread is good reading for anybody concerned about this issue.
Can I add this to that thread? The pics? Just for sake of example?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
For old men like me, there is a saying “never trust a fart”. To that I would add “never trust an alleged ‘finish crack’ on the neck of a poly finished guitar”!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Pic #2 looks like crack in the wood. You also have checking in finish. Even without wood crack checking would bother me a lot. These are major issues, which have big impact on the price.

I would return this guitar and pay more for one in a better condition.

The finish "checking" didn't bother me so much but the "cracking" definitely was a deal breaker. Major issues, indeed. And after more time, truth is this deal was going to sour anyway since the case is downright disgustingly filthy. Sticky substance on the front and sides, bangs/dings all over, and what appears to be water-damage, stuck cardboard and mildew on the bottom. Whew, what a clusterF**k!

1656427846139.jpeg

As mentioned, I'm gonna return this Amos in the next couple of days, whenever I can find an hour or two to head down to local GC 30 minutes away. He will be someone else's problem...

And I was able to find another used online at GC in Medford, OR that's in Excellent shape with no issues for the same price so I'll be receiving it this Friday according to UPS Tracking.

Obligatory Seller's Pics:

1656426311811.png

1656426260717.png

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
The finish "checking" didn't bother me so much but the "cracking" definitely was a deal breaker. Major issues, indeed. And after more time, truth is this deal was going to sour anyway since the case is downright disgustingly filthy. Sticky substance on the front and sides, bangs/dings all over, and what appears to be water-damage, stuck cardboard and mildew on the bottom. Whew, what a clusterF**k!
I received few new guitars with finish checking from GC/MF. For some reason all these guitars with checking arrived in the period starting from last December. I never had this problem before. Perhaps this is due to colder weather this year.
I personally can't stand this type of checking. Vintage checking - I can live with it, but checking on new or near new guitars in unacceptable.

Latest Threads