Epiphone Joe B Flying V Amos: 2nd Time's a Charm!

Would you keep, fix or just return?

• Keep, don't worry about it

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Find good tech and have fixed

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Return that turkey

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Big fan of turtles

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

drivers1959

Reaction score
Amos just arrived and as advertised, has some finish issues on neck near nut. Not to mention the case was filthy but will clean up nicely.

Sorry for crappy pics but my question is "Would you keep him? Not worry about it. Have it fixed to keep from getting worse? Or just return and go about my day"...?

Bought from GC used online for decent deal hundreds less than they sell for nowadays so there's that. GC listing stated "finish cracks not into wood"... Is that true?

Just want the professionals opinions on how severe this is. Or not. And if repair is necessary, how much would that run?

Otherwise seems like a kickass guitar.

Thanks in advance!

I can try to take better pics, if that would help.
you said it was sold as advertised, as long as you agreed to the pics before you got the guitar..because if you just bought site unseen then it's risky..i have an amos im happy with..i dont know why the seller would send the case dirty as well..wtf? originally new these @ Sweetwater cost $900usd..i put a set of JB amos pups in..its even more killer..koa's a great top..but im sure if you look you can find another..might take time but stuff often comes up in regards to jb gear

pondcaster

Reaction score
you said it was sold as advertised, as long as you agreed to the pics before you got the guitar..because if you just bought site unseen then it's risky..i have an amos im happy with..i dont know why the seller would send the case dirty as well..wtf? originally new these @ Sweetwater cost $900usd..i put a set of JB amos pups in..its even more killer..koa's a great top..but im sure if you look you can find another..might take time but stuff often comes up in regards to jb gear

Ummm... sorry to confuse but I purchased before GC put pics up, kinda have to if you want to get one before others do nowadays when looking at sought after guitars.

I was, in a way, relying on the description that was inaccurate, to say the least. Fraudulent, to say the most so I was gonna be okay either way. Didn't plan on that one being a keeper, tbh but wanted to check it out. And whew!, that case was totally disgusting with definite signs of water damage and mold. That, in itself, would have been enough for me to return. I didn't want it in my music room for fear of contaminating my other gear.

And TLDR, but yeah... found another that's in excellent condition for the same price so all's well that ends well. Haven't really played any of my others since Amos showed up.

rbraad68

Reaction score
What are these Amos JB ?? Am I confusing these pups with the SD JB's???

mjross

Reaction score
Holy Crap !! 375 yikes!! Ok well that answers my question :)
You would be lucky to get a set for less than $600 today. They were a very limited release. Fantastic pickups, really dig them in my Amos guitar!

rbraad68

Reaction score
You would be lucky to get a set for less than $600 today. They were a very limited release. Fantastic pickups, really dig them in my Amos guitar!

WOW !!

74JMP

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with the veneer. I mean if these guitars ( top end epi's in general ) had a real top no veneer you could expect another 300-500 bucks to the org price of these things prob even more!! These are great guitars!!!
I built a precision guitars solid Korina V, amazing light resonant chuck of wood. Built 2 more for friends they are so nice. BUT retail the price for a body n neck with great fret work was a bit over 400 and 45 for shipping. That Gib/EPi needs to jigsaw and laminate bodies I don't buy as a wood rarity cost issue, it is to keep the 58 V as a high end item. Never bought an Amos as are they solid was never clearly stated from what I saw and I was suspicious. So I think the 3-5 is high, but why do the consumer a solid at they I'dbet they'd do ok.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Never bought an Amos as are they solid was never clearly stated from what I saw and I was suspicious.
I was wondering about that, not that it makes much difference to me.

Seems I read on tgp a while back that there were some that were and some not?

Not really sure how to determine definitively on mine from the exterior but will pop the HBs out and check when I change strings next time... Regardless, the finish is superb.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score

Not really sure how to determine definitively on mine from the exterior but will pop the HBs out and check when I change strings next time...
Should be fairly easy to see how many piece body the V has right ? No binding you can just look at the sides of the guitar. I would hope they didn't use veneer on the sides of the guitar. That picture the guy posted above links you to an " Amos " the guy totally strips down and redoes the guitar. Pretty cool what the guy did. From what I could tell there wasn't any veneer just a really thick layer of Polly. The guy said he has to use a heat gun and a razor blade/Scraper to get the thick polly off the body before he could start sanding the guitar down to re finish with Nitro....

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score

Not really sure how to determine definitively on mine from the exterior but will pop the HBs out and check when I change strings next time... Regardless, the finish is superb.
My tech says solid on mine!

rbraad68

Reaction score
My tech says solid on mine!
When you say solid ? Do you mean no weight relief ? I honestly don't think the did weight relief on those guitar? What are they mahogany body's ??

mjross

Reaction score
Should be fairly easy to see how many piece body the V has right ? No binding you can just look at the sides of the guitar. I would hope they didn't use veneer on the sides of the guitar. That picture the guy posted above links you to an " Amos " the guy totally strips down and redoes the guitar. Pretty cool what the guy did. From what I could tell there wasn't any veneer just a really thick layer of Polly. The guy said he has to use a heat gun and a razor blade/Scraper to get the thick polly off the body before he could start sanding the guitar down to re finish with Nitro....
I really don’t get the poly thing, guess I should as I own several high end Les Pauls, Replicas, etc that have Nitro finishes. Guess I’m just not a true cork sniffer. I’m here to tell you, ain’t a DAMNED thing wrong with Amos as-is, poly or no poly!

rbraad68

Reaction score
That was cool. Was that an Amos? I've read way to much about the grains etc, but stripped down, that V is on the money. Shame about the razor checking, but it is done well.
Yeah he prob should of used the plastic scraper on that. Maybe a little more heat but he could of gotten it done. That guy did a great job on that thing! I am seriously considering redoing one of my 59's like this....

rbraad68

Reaction score
Not Veneer! He said if it is veneer Epiphone hid it well!
So you are talking about veneer? From the read above the guy that redid that Amos didn't say anything about veneer just a real thick polly..

rbraad68

Reaction score
I really don’t get the poly thing, guess I should as I own several high end Les Pauls, Replicas, etc that have Nitro finishes. Guess I’m just not a true cork sniffer. I’m here to tell you, ain’t a DAMNED thing wrong with Amos as-is, poly or no poly!
There is nothing wrong with poly man. Hell I own 12-13 of these new Epi LP's all of them have poly only the 59's that have a thinner coat of poly.... And if owned one of those Amos guitars I damn sure wouldn't be messing with it like that guy did above!!!

mjross

Reaction score
So you are talking about veneer? From the read above the guy that redid that Amos didn't say anything about veneer just a real thick polly..
Yeah, I checked out the pics pretty close. I don’t think he would have done the transformation on a veneered guitar. I believe it would have been much more difficult to pull it off with a veneered guitar. Also, I think he would have mentioned it if it was veneer.

Not sure why people have a hard time believing Amos is not veneered! To be honest, I think Joe Bonamassa may have taken issue with that, who knows. Myself and SEVERAL others have examined my Amos, ALL do not think it is veneered.

I purchased an Epiphone Moderne and though it’s a fantastic guitar, it‘s wood and finish are no where near the quality of Amos. Upon deep inspection you can see very faint signs that the Moderne might be veneered. Like I said, if Amos is veneered it’s the best fucking veneer job I’ve ever seen. Either way, it’s an amazing guitar!

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked out the pics pretty close. I don’t think he would have done the transformation on a veneered guitar. I believe it would have been much more difficult to pull it off with a veneered guitar. Also, I think he would have mentioned it if it was veneer.

Not sure why people have a hard time believing Amos is not veneered! To be honest, I think Joe Bonamassa may have taken issue with that, who knows. Myself and SEVERAL others have examined my Amos, ALL do not think it is veneered.

I purchased an Epiphone Moderne and though it’s a fantastic guitar, it‘s wood and finish are no where near the quality of Amos. Upon deep inspection you can see very faint signs that the Moderne might be veneered. Like I said, if Amos is veneered it’s the best fucking veneer job I’ve ever seen. Either way, it’s an amazing guitar!
Yeah I agree man. That guy would deff of mentioned if he ran into a veneer while he was stripping it down. I am not really a V person in my old age but this Amos is deff one I wish I had gotten when it first came out... Very nice guitar indeed....

pondcaster

Reaction score
Although I've not opened the hood, I can't find any outward signs of veneer but admittedly I'm not sure what to look for to be sure.

Did finally get around to checking the output, mine are:

Neck 7.80

Bridge 8.45

Still very, very impressed with Amos, to put it mildly.

Latest Threads