Epiphone Joe B Flying V Amos: 2nd Time's a Charm!

Would you keep, fix or just return?

• Keep, don't worry about it

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Find good tech and have fixed

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Return that turkey

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Big fan of turtles

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

1allspub

Reaction score
I wouldn’t sell mine either, it’s the perfect Flying V, I’ve really become attached to it. I have some REALLY nice Les Paul’s and 335’s in rotation right now but find myself grabbing Amos, it just plays and sounds soooo nice!

I use to have an Ibanez Korina V back around 1976 that I foolishly sold to buy some faddish guitar that we were all chasing at the time. I always regretted loosing that guitar and have since been trying to find a replacement. In almost 45 years nothing came close but Amos FINALLY satisfied my quest. The Ibanez was a great guitar but Amos is even better!

View attachment 620005

Ok, let’s all agree not to talk about the hair! ;)

BTW, still totally jealous of your Amos!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Sad to see but contrary to my conversation with them, my fav GC did, in fact, relist Wounded Amos but at a reduced price of $999.

Disappointed that they did that, tbh. The description was slightly changed but still misleading.

And worse, it's already sold.

Given the neck situation and the filthiest case I've ever seen, I feel for the poor sucker that got it. Unless, hopefully but doubtful, a walk in bought it after seeing it's issues.

Oh well, they have great return policy.

PS: the Flea bass already sold, too. Didn't last a day. Great bass, someone lucked out with that, 110%.

Wounded Amos making the rounds... Found his way up to WA now.

Disappointment follows, no doubt.

pondcaster

Reaction score
And it sold again. And again, it only lasted an hour up there.

Man!,... that description in the listing is soooooo not true. Fraudville, USA.

So the journey continues... wonder where it will end up this time? Where in the world is Wounded Amos now game?

Thank goodness for the liberal return policy!

omm

Reaction score

angeldeville

Reaction score
I had one and it didn't quite do it for me, sold it to a friend.

Now my Bonamosa Firebird I, that ain't goin nowhere.

I wouldn't pay "current" prices for either.

Got my Gibson's cheaper.

greens

Reaction score
Could be a good candidate for a nitro refin like this guy did
Pic+2+-+Heat+Gun+1.jpg

https://huwpriceguitar.com/my-work/epiphone-korina-flying-v-conversion

mjross

Reaction score
That was cool. Was that an Amos? I've read way to much about the grains etc, but stripped down, that V is on the money. Shame about the razor checking, but it is done well.
Don’t think that was an Amos! Cool project…

Nick-O

Reaction score
Too much work for a guitar covered in veneer. But, to each his own.
that why i was asking...looking at the grain on the body sides

some don't look like veneer, some definitely do

mjross

Reaction score
Too much work for a guitar covered in veneer. But, to each his own.
Not sure about the veneer, if it was mentioned in the progression pics I missed it! My Amos does not appear to be. As I’ve said before, if it is veneered its the best fucking veneer job I have ever seen. Bottom line, it does not matter to me, they are fine guitars as is.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with the veneer. I mean if these guitars ( top end epi's in general ) had a real top no veneer you could expect another 300-500 bucks to the org price of these things prob even more!! These are great guitars!!!

mjross

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with the veneer. I mean if these guitars ( top end epi's in general ) had a real top no veneer you could expect another 300-500 bucks to the org price of these things prob even more!! These are great guitars!!!
I don‘t think they are veneer, but that’s just me based on the Amos I’m currently holding in my hot little hands. And yes, they are great guitars!

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I don‘t think they are veneer, but that’s just me based on the Amos I’m currently holding in my hot little hands. And yes, they are great guitars!
It may not have a veneer ?? Should be able to tell just by looking under the pickups and other cavitys on the guitar. Next time you change the strings take a few pictures? I have heard that Epiphone has a process when they seal these things they use the veneer even if it's not needed cause its the same process they do on everything. I guess it makes it cheaper for them to put these guitars out at a decent price?? But who knows man anything is possible with Epiphone these days... I could deff be wrong man.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Could be a good candidate for a nitro refin like this guy did
Pic+2+-+Heat+Gun+1.jpg

https://huwpriceguitar.com/my-work/epiphone-korina-flying-v-conversion
Damn man thats cool !! Do you have any more pics? I would love to do this to one of my 59's . That one 59 the guy posted in the 59 thread was cool. The person before him stripped the veneer off and repainted the thing. Filled the bridge stud holes and re drilled for the ABR set up. Really cool guitar I like it.. I am totally going to do this to one of my 59's...

greens

Reaction score
Damn man thats cool !! Do you have any more pics? I would love to do this to one of my 59's . That one 59 the guy posted in the 59 thread was cool. The person before him stripped the veneer off and repainted the thing. Filled the bridge stud holes and re drilled for the ABR set up. Really cool guitar I like it.. I am totally going to do this to one of my 59's...
Lots more pics at the website linked to. I think this was originally an online article in a guitar magazine which you should be able to find.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Thx man!! I deff follow the link see what I can find...

Latest Threads