Epiphone Joe B Flying V Amos: 2nd Time's a Charm!

Would you keep, fix or just return?

• Keep, don't worry about it

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Find good tech and have fixed

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Return that turkey

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Big fan of turtles

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

pondcaster

Reaction score
Amos just arrived and as advertised, has some finish issues on neck near nut. Not to mention the case was filthy but will clean up nicely.

Sorry for crappy pics but my question is "Would you keep him? Not worry about it. Have it fixed to keep from getting worse? Or just return and go about my day"...?

Bought from GC used online for decent deal hundreds less than they sell for nowadays so there's that. GC listing stated "finish cracks not into wood"... Is that true?

Just want the professionals opinions on how severe this is. Or not. And if repair is necessary, how much would that run?

Otherwise seems like a kickass guitar.

Thanks in advance!

I can try to take better pics, if that would help.

Last edited:

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
That dark line looks like a crack. With all the cracking and the chipped off poly I'm saying that neck is cracked. I'd return it.

4tUKJmy (Large).jpeg

IP8gtPb (Large).jpeg

Last edited:

pondcaster

Reaction score
Imagine how much more "kickass" it will be when you sand down the neck.
A vote for Return then, no?

I may have used the wrong word there.

Thanks for pointing that out. Much appreciated.

mjross

Reaction score
Yeah, I’d probably return that one, looks like it suffered a pretty good blow at some point. Also, is that a dark spot in the finish I notice on the pic of the front of the guitar. Might just be the lighting or a shadow!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Return to Sender!

No big deal, never know unless you try.

Feels like a nice guitar but even if perfect, probably not worth what I paid ($1.5kish) so not gonna sweat it.

Got 30 days so will play it for a few days before running it down to nearest GC 30m away.

Thanks for y'all's help!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Yeah, I’d probably return that one, looks like it suffered a pretty good blow at some point. Also, is that a dark spot in the finish I notice on the pic of the front of the guitar. Might just be the lighting or a shadow!
Yeah, it's going back because of neck.

Dark spot was reflection. Sweet finish on these.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Good move to return it. To my experience, the poly finish is more flexible than the wood. The finish won’t crack unless something is moving beneath it.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Return to Sender!

Feels like a nice guitar but even if perfect, probably not worth what I paid ($1.5kish) so not gonna sweat it.

Got 30 days so will play it for a few days before running it down to nearest GC 30m away.

Thanks for y'all's help!
1.5K??, at the risk of being "that guy", for that money I would chip in a bit more and get a Gibson V.

pondcaster

Reaction score
1.5K??, at the risk of being "that guy", for that money I would chip in a bit more and get a Gibson V.
You may be on to something? I did enjoy the feel of Amos. A lot.

But the 58 Korina V with G on headstock is around $10k, I think?

Not to mention the new going rate for Amos is somewhere around $2300, if you can believe it...

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Not Korina but pretty nice just the same.

mjross

Reaction score
You may be on to something? I did enjoy the feel of Amos. A lot.

But the 58 Korina V with G on headstock is around $10k, I think?

Not to mention the new going rate for Amos is somewhere around $2300, if you can believe it...
I‘m a Gibson freak, have more Gibsons than one might imagine, but I’d have the Amos before I purchased the Gibson Mahogany Standard V! Not a damn thing wrong with the Gibson V they are fine guitars. However, this particular Epiphone is SPECIAL, but that’s just me talking.

I find that most of the people discounting the Amos have never had one in their hands, so there‘s no real honest comparison. I’m not here for a pissing match, you’ve got to play what you like!

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
A friend of mine picked up one of these and let me play it. I thought it was a damn fine guitar, as good as any standard Gibby. However, those neck cracks are bad juju. I would return it.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
@pondcaster Here you go.

pondcaster

Reaction score
@pondcaster Here you go.

Thanks! You rock.

Yeah, been looking at that one... Not outta the realm of possibility.

mjross

Reaction score
Thanks! You rock.

Yeah, been looking at that one... Not outta the realm of possibility.
Yeah, not too bad of shape, that chip on the horn can be fixed! Been up for a while may be able to negotiate a better price.

Breakrite

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one of those when they first came out. I really like mine, I have another Gibson V and at one time owned an 1983 Korina reissue. This is as nice as they are/were IMHO. If the neck is truly cracked though, I'd send it back.

mjross

Reaction score
I bought one of those when they first came out. I really like mine, I have another Gibson V and at one time owned an 1983 Korina reissue. This is as nice as they are/were IMHO. If the neck is truly cracked though, I'd send it back.
Hear that! Once you get your hands on one, you get it. I think that JB ACTUALLY had something to do with the quality and playability of these guitars, not just slapping his name on it. Mine came from the BJ store and it is flawless. I changed the pickups but that’s because I’d already purchased the replacements. I believe that the stock pickups are actually quite nice! Most players will probably find them to be perfect…

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Return to Sender!

Thanks for y'all's help!
Yeah. $1,500 is too high to keep in that condition. But I was serious, if you had scored that for $800, out would have been a great candidate for a raw mahogany neck… which would’ve felt like butter.

mjross

Reaction score
Yeah. $1,500 is too high to keep in that condition. But I was serious, if you had scored that for $800, out would have been a great candidate for a raw mahogany neck… which would’ve felt like butter.
That would be some serious surgery! However, sounds kinda cool.

Latest Threads