Epiphone Headstock Theory...

jb_abides

Reaction score
If someone ever does a study that shows how gluing up boards according to specific grain patterns enhances tone.... we'll see a whole new wave of cork-sniffing. :slash:

Plus we'd see some wild designs in wood guitars.

Until then, the scraps get put together every which way but loose, and solid finishes applied!
:jam:

Sharp

Reaction score
My feeling is that none of this matters. When I wanted a semi hollow I bought an epi, which is what I could afford. After some intensive setup it played fine. The headstock shape said it was an epi. When I was able, I replaced it with a 335. Same with a guitars colour, I’ve never chosen the colour, just bought a guitar because it was the type I wanted, played well and was available. I have a MiM tele that plays great. It might be ten pieces of wood and I don’t care.

Having said all that, I can’t deny that the look of a guitar matters. I don’t stray too far from traditional styles and colours. No shade for this topic, just my opinion.

GibPhone

Reaction score
I've got to say, I might like the old Kalamazoo epi headstock (which is what they have now I believe), better than the Gibson one. But to be honest, I don't really care what the headstock looks like, and I (don't judge) actually even like the clipped corner shape.

Gibson is planning a major change to the entire Epiphone guitar ...

On the other hand, something about the Kalamazoo shape is so elegant...

DrBGood

Reaction score
I've got to say, I might like the old Kalamazoo epi headstock (which is what they have now I believe), better than the Gibson one. But to be honest, I don't really care what the headstock looks like, and I (don't judge) actually even like the clipped corner shape.

It look a bit like this Severus hair :rofl:

c473eedf75a6415eda624746eceb7a00.jpg

trapland

Reaction score
Okay, now I know that Epiphone has switched over to Gibson's open-book headstock shape, but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm thinking the clipped wing shape.

The theory: My theory about why they made that shape is that since Epiphone is the lesser/affordable brand. And in order to make it "affordable" the way it is, they had to cut some corners, hence the "old" headstock design with the cut corners. That's my theory, I tried to look it up, but got not much for results, so I thought it better to just ask you guys. ;)
They did it because the old headstock looked awkward. Having a headstock twice as long as needed to support the tuners is a main reason why I can’t own an Epiphone. Ya, it’s the looks. The current/new design is much nicer looking..

GibPhone

Reaction score
They did it because the old headstock looked awkward. Having a headstock twice as long as needed to support the tuners is a main reason why I can’t own an Epiphone. Ya, it’s the looks. The current/new design is much nicer looking..
Thanks, that is what I was looking for

Fuelish

Reaction score
I prefer the headstock on my '05 LP to the "inspired-by-Gibson" or whatever they're calling them. Although I do dig the headstock on my Wildkat, but I think it's the "bikini bottom" plate on the 'stock that I like about it.. And, Paruwi , can't speak for Fenderfolks, but doesn't seem to be an issue for Squierfolks over there. I tried counting the "body parts" on my MIM Thinline Fender, appears to be 3 (possibly 4, if they were clever matching grain) plus the top slab, so....it's 4 or 5, and, doesn't bother me at all, it's a nice player.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score

well this is NOT a 'Kalamazoo shaped' headstock...
this headstock was out way before the great changes....

GibPhone

Reaction score
well this is NOT a 'Kalamazoo shaped' headstock...
this headstock was out way before the great changes....
I see... I thought someone had said that before, anyways, still like it.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Quarantine madness.
The Epiphony headstock is cool as it is, at least the one Epi said would be launching with all the newer models. Why try to change it into something it's not? It's a known fact, known by EVERYBODY and the dog, that Les Paul tinkered around with Epic necks when he build his "log"... so why change the headstock?

shupe13

Reaction score
The Epiphony headstock is cool as it is, at least the one Epi said would be launching with all the newer models. Why try to change it into something it's not? It's a known fact, known by EVERYBODY and the dog, that Les Paul tinkered around with Epic necks when he build his "log"... so why change the headstock?
I'm an Epiphone fanboy and I think I prefer the older style.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They kept all the clipped corners to make more guitars. Eventually, with all the new guitars being made and corners being clipped, they won't have to harvest more trees because the clipped corner supply will be enough to keep the system stocked.

It's basically this, but for guitars:
View attachment 457230
Come now lets be serious Epiphone wouldn’t be allowed to do that. Gibson uses the clipped Corners for themselves. And sells it as a $4200 Mosaic custom Jr

Latest Threads