Epiphone Fanatic (aka Nancy Wilson Signature)

rifflearner

Reaction score
Smaller size. Kinda odd shape. Weird angled humbucker. String-through body.

I admire that they are taking risks, but the more I look at this guitar, the more I don't like it.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smaller size. Kinda odd shape. Weird angled humbucker. String-through body.

I admire that they are taking risks, but the more I look at this guitar, the more I don't like it.

Not risks... it's just a throwback to the Nighthawk/Blueshawk
The Blueshawk was a semi-hollow version. Both Gibson and Epiphone offered them... I almost bought one in the late 90s.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I guess she did help design it. Not sure which aspect she played a part in. The original Nighthawk came out in 1993, with her sig model 20 years later.

From Wikipedia...
  • The Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard was introduced in 2013. It is a two-pickup model with a mini-humbucker, similar to the original Nighthawk ST. It was available only in the fireburst finish.[20] It was based on a prototype that Wilson had designed in collaboration with Gibson years earlier.[21]

tzd

Reaction score
Which is why I was scratching my head when Nancy implied that she designed the guitar.
I guess she did help design it. Not sure which aspect she played a part in. The original Nighthawk came out in 1993, with her sig model 20 years later.

From Wikipedia...
  • The Nancy Wilson Nighthawk Standard was introduced in 2013. It is a two-pickup model with a mini-humbucker, similar to the original Nighthawk ST. It was available only in the fireburst finish.[20] It was based on a prototype that Wilson had designed in collaboration with Gibson years earlier.[21]
I found this article from 2013 which supports that Nancy Wilson indeed helped design the original Nighthawk body shape with Gibson, who first released the guitar in 1993:

Listening to the guitar tones on Fanatic, one gets the impression you put a lot of thought into each track. What was your goal while recording the album?

The heavy guitar sound largely comes from two electrics Ben and I used most – my ’61 Les Paul Junior, and a guitar I designed for Gibson just before Heart went on the blocks for awhile in the early ’90s. Gibson ran with it, calling it the Nighthawk – the “Strat Killer.” I’m looking to reissue it with Gibson and call it the Fanatic.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Not risks... it's just a throwback to the Nighthawk/Blueshawk
The Blueshawk was a semi-hollow version. Both Gibson and Epiphone offered them... I almost bought one in the late 90s.
I’ve almost bought one so many times I can’t remember how many! lol

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I have discovered that sometimes guitars “designed by a female artist” have thinner necks to accommodate smaller hands. This is the case with my PRS SE Orianthi model. As I have small hands too (though certainly not a female and nothing else is small) I really like the neck on that guitar. So I wonder if the Nancy Wilson model guitar might have a thinner than usual neck also. I may have to check it out!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
So I have a question. What is a “rounded “C” neck in Epi language? Specs on this guitar say it has one. Now what is it? Thick or thin?

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
I have discovered that sometimes guitars “designed by a female artist” have thinner necks to accommodate smaller hands. This is the case with my PRS SE Orianthi model. As I have small hands too (though certainly not a female and nothing else is small) I really like the neck on that guitar. So I wonder if the Nancy Wilson model guitar might have a thinner than usual neck also. I may have to check it out!
Big respect for Nancy and that guitar is pretty cool and all.

However.......

350SH Poster.jpg

:applause:lol

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Does anybody here have one of these Fanatic guitars? Has anybody even played one? if so, please post your opinions here or PM me with them. This guitar rather interests me.

fry

Reaction score
Does anybody here have one of these Fanatic guitars? Has anybody even played one? if so, please post your opinions here or PM me with them. This guitar rather interests me.
I pulled the trigger on one of these today. The seller sent me an email late in the day saying that the case had a gash on the outside covering. He wanted me to take it as it is, and would try to get Epiphone to make it right. I told him I could live with it if there would be a partial refund, he was not into that. So, I went back to the drawing board and got it elsewhere. I hope to have it in a few days to see for myself. I always liked the Gibson version, but it was above my price range and skill level.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I assume you were not dealing with Sweetwater. Tell me who, and I’ll avoid them. Also, when you get the guitar. Post here or PM me and tell me about it. Thanks in advance!

And as far as Gibson being above your skill level, know that I have been trying to play for 62 years, and own a real vintage Gibson I bought in 1961. And it is the last of my 12 guitars I would take to an important gig (if I ever had one).

fry

Reaction score
I assume you were not dealing with Sweetwater.
No, I think it was some mom and pop store in Michigan, they were selling it on reverb. I went with them because they were the closest, and I thought it might be in my hands today they are only about three hours from me. They didn’t get around to packing it up until after hours, then he sent me a message about the torn spot on the case. I thought I would be doing him a favor if I took it had a discount, he was not willing to do that. He wanted me to wait for Epiphone to correct the problem. I told him to cancel the order. You know what? He went right away and relisted it. It had to be the same one, he said it was the only one he had in stock. I guess he is going to try to get some other person to try to fight Epiphone for a new case.

Latest Threads