Epiphone/etc... Acoustic guitars?

jlb32

Reaction score
I play mainly electric guitar but have been looking for a good replacement acoustic for my older Washburn (I've used it forever but it needs work now and not worth putting the money in to).
There are just so many acoustics out there, I do not know where to even start since I do not keep up with acoustic guitars.

I have been looking around at some Epiphones but just not sure. I do not want to spend mega, top of the line, money for an acoustic and just looking for suggestions really, more than anything.
Something to get me on track for what to look at model/brand wise. Just want a great sounding acoustic for around-under $800. I definitely want a full sized jumbo model though. Really not a fan of the smaller acoustic models.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks

EspyHop

Reaction score
I’m curious about what type of neck joints are used in Epiphones.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I would recommend a Yamaha.

Go to the store and try a Yamaha.
Then play 3 or 4 other guitars in the same price range.
Epiphone
Martin
Takamine

I think you'll find they make a great guitar for that price point.

sonar1

Reaction score
I didn’t want to tie up much money in an acoustic guitar.
But I also didn’t want a tinny laminated top sound, shitty action, sharp fret ends, etc.

Come to find out Chinese guitars have come a LONG ways!

Settled on a MIC GUILD DS-240 Memoir slope shouldered (like a J-45), short scale (24.75” like a J-45) that sounds much better than the recent Gibson J-45’s I’ve tried.

About a half a kilobuck at Sweetwater.

9CF625AD-8B06-4802-AFBF-4D495BE9757A.jpeg

Last edited:

jlb32

Reaction score
I would recommend a Yamaha.

Go to the store and try a Yamaha.
Then play 3 or 4 other guitars in the same price range.
Epiphone
Martin
Takamine

I think you'll find they make a great guitar for that price point.
Thanks! I will check the Yamaha acoustics out. Any certain model you recommend?

I have been looking at the Epiphone 200 since it is suppose to mimic the Gibson J200, which I love, but I do not play acoustic enough to go that Gibson J200 price range!

jlb32

Reaction score
I didn’t want to tie up much money an acoustic guitar.
But I also didn’t want a tinny laminated top sound, shitty action, sharp fret ends, etc.

Come to find out Chinese guitars have come a LONG ways!

Settled on a MIC GUILD 240 slope shouldered (like a J-45), short scale (24.75” like a J-45) that sounds much better than the recent Gibson J-45’s I’ve tried.

About a half a kilobuck.

View attachment 564732
Looks great! Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely check one out.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Thanks! I will check the Yamaha acoustics out. Any certain model you recommend?

I have been looking at the Epiphone 200 since it is suppose to mimic the Gibson J200, which I love, but I do not play acoustic enough to go that Gibson J200 price range!
I don't stay up on their catalog of guitars, but I've found through the years that every Yamaha that has sat on my lap has been stellar. Even the old and worn ones.

To my taste/experience - I played the Epi200 and the Gibson J200. IMO they are not even close to each other. Not only could I hear the difference when I played them, I could FEEL the difference as they resonated in my belly as I played.

Like I said. Sit down with a few different guitars in the same price range. I think you will find the Yamaha has the qualities of a guitar in a higher price range.

A few years back I was looking for an acoustic.
The Martin or Gibson was in mind.
After A LOT of trying different acoustics, I ended up getting a Cort.
That wasn't even on my radar.

jlb32

Reaction score
What Cort did you end up buying?

jlb32

Reaction score
A Seagull S6 is worth a look if you want a quality acoustic for under $600.
Been looking at alot of guitars. Still looking around but the Seagull S6 does look great. Made in Canada also

LuckyDan

Reaction score
Epi Inspired by Gibson J-45 looks good. I have the Masterbilt version from a few years ago, and when I take it out it's hard to put down. For an all-arounder the J-45 design is hard to beat. $750 and MIC but look at the specs. Solid spruce and mahogany You're getting a lot of value.

mgrasso03

Reaction score
Any of the early Masterbilts are great. 2004-2010. AJ-500s. Mahogany or Rosewood. Can’t go wrong.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I was in the same spot a few months ago, lost in a blur of acoustics in that price range. I wound up buying a '96 Martin DM w/ hsc for $650 off Marketplace, spur of the moment. Saved me having to shop all over. After a pro setup I'm happy with it. Gives me a good comparison if/when I want to go shopping g for one again.

I agree on the Yamaha suggestion. They have a big line and are usually very good. I already have a late 70s Yamaha acoustic, and 80s Yamaha classical.

Latest Threads