Epiphone ES335 pro and comparison to Gibson 335 review

Mato

Reaction score
Hi guys bit of a zombie thread but I was GASsing hard for a 335 Pro and finally managed to get hold of a Cherry one here in the UK a couple of weeks ago. It was the only one they got in and from a couple of emails to Epiphone and a few retailers a few weeks before I don't think they're in production any more so couldn't miss out on this! Apart from a 'loose wire' that meant the bridge pickup was stuck in single-coil mode (which got fixed and back to me within a week) I knew this guitar was great. I have a '97 Riviera which I upgraded with SD Seth Lovers a couple of years ago and A/Bing on some Vox AC30 Amphones and then on my VHT special 6 amp I could not tell a difference between the two! I haven't yet done this on my AC15 but will do soon. These new Alnico Classic Pro pups are seriously good! I couldn't really fault the setup and finish out the box either, just a minor tweak of intonation and action but there's no fret buzz anywhere! There's a video on youtube of someone playing Jazz on a 335 Pro and Gibson 335 and you've got better ears than me if you can hear a difference when the two switch! It looks and sounds beautiful so no need to pay through the nose for what's written on the headstock for me...

old mark

Reaction score
I have owned an Epiphone ES335 PRO in Ebony for several years. I like it so much I recently bought one in Cherry, just because so many players I like play a Gibson 335 in that color...So 2 keepers.
I own several Gibsons - 2 Les Pauls, an older Firebird, 2 Juniors and 2 Melody Makers...The ES 335 PRO is a super playing guitar, for a ridiculous price and those "cheap tuners" and hardware are Wilkerson, just not marked as such. So no surprise they stay in tune.
I'm selling stuff off, preparing to sell my house and move, but keeping my 335's.\

Steven

Reaction score
I agree with all you state regarding the Epi 335 pro. I have one, and in recordings with a head to head between the epi and the Gibson 335 I honestly couldn't tell you which guitar is which, they sound that similar. This is a very nice sounding guitar for the money, I wish the finish was a little better but I guess for the price, some corners must be cut.

I would recommend everyone that is not wealthy give the epi 335 pro a try prior to spending hard earned money on a Gibson 335. You might find that you can get for $300 what you otherwise pay $3000 for. Or close enough sound to satisfy you. I bought my epiphone 335 pro new on sale for $324. I did loads of researching guitars of this type, and any guitars that sound THIS close are going to cost you at least 1K.

Last edited:

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
I've been able to avoid the headstock snobbery for one simple reason, experience. My first 335 was a 59, and cost less $400. My second was purchased in 82 because the first Gibson developed a warped neck,literally overnight. Both were nice guitars at the time. But I'm really more of a solid body player, so the semi-hollows started getting less play.
Fast forward to 2018, two months ago to be specific, when I sat down with a Sheraton Pro ll. It is not only the equal to either of my Gibsons, but with the splitable ProBuckers, it's simply a much more verstile instrument than the originals. And it's one of my few guitars that are incredible as they are.
The set up took about an hour, all simple adjustments, primarily intonation and bridge height, but the results are surprisingly enjoyable. It did help that he nut was cut and elevated perfectly. I really hate dealing with those.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
This is my Epiphone ES335 Pro IT. It is my #1 guitar. My first ES335 was a 1961 Gibson ES335 TDC that I bought brand new in the late 1960's.

sasquatch

Reaction score
I just had new caps and a switch put in mine.
Going for a mid 60's feel.
They are silver with a stripe
but I'm not totally sure what they are called.
I kept the OEM pots, pickups
but wanted to change the tone a bit.
Came out good

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
B916BBC8-6DC5-4FCB-B700-59200B18E341.jpeg
Gibson definitely makes a killing with the plywood es335. Plenty of ways to get the sound without paying those crazy prices. Cheers to your Epi’s, Ibinez, or whatever gets your tonze without the hard earned bones. I’m an Edwards fan myself.

old mark

Reaction score
One thing to add...My OLDER Epi 335 PRO has had a professional fret leveling and polishing job, and complete set up...I recommend you get this on your 335...the difference is amazing...not that the factory set up or fret job was bad, but a GOOD pro made my Epiphone play better than my Gibson Les Pauls...for a few bucks.
I really recommend having a good pro do this, to get is just perfect.

Latest Threads