Epiphone Dark Cherry Custom??

Eddie 70

Reaction score
This past Monday evening I was at a local Guitar League and while I was waiting I sort of was looking at the used guitars. I came across something that I liked and want to go back and take a closer look at.

I know it was an Epiphone Les Paul. I think it was a Custom. It had the gold hardware but the gold had faded. It had the 3 ply or 4 ply binding on the headstock and the body with the segmented diamond inlay and a pick guard. The part that has me confused is it was a dark cherry color. I can't seem to find any images of it on the net.

Any ideas what this might be so i can look. I plan on riding up and taking another look at it this weekend. I just want to get it in my head what is and what I should be looking for, pickups, tuners, etc. I don't need it but It has given me GAS!!

Thanks for any help.

straybeat

Reaction score
I have the dark cherry Prophecy GX and had a 2003 wine red Standard. 2 totally different colors.

They called my 339 cherry. :slap:

Last edited:

Eddie 70

Reaction score
It might be a Wine Red. Here's mine for comparison:
Very close Benniator. Yours must be newer. The one I was looking at has the gold hardware but it is much more faded. I am sure the guitar has been played quite a bit since the hardware was so faded. I haven't been back to look at it. Been pretty busy lately working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day.

I really like the headstock inlay and the binding on these. Thanks for posting the pic Benniator.

Benniator

Reaction score
Very close Benniator. Yours must be newer. The one I was looking at has the gold hardware but it is much more faded. I am sure the guitar has been played quite a bit since the hardware was so faded. I haven't been back to look at it. Been pretty busy lately working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day.

I really like the headstock inlay and the binding on these. Thanks for posting the pic Benniator.
You're welcome.

This is definitely not new. I think I got it for Christmas '07. I'm pretty sure Wine Red customs were discontinued soon after. I swapped out the original pickups, turners, bridge/tailpiece with better quality stuff so that probably accounts for the lack of fade. Plus I baby it.

Eddie 70

Reaction score
I got the GAS for a Custom right now too. It got started about a month ago with a wine red one I came across. It is a 2003 model with an asking price of $400. It has the Gibson truss rod cover. No push pull pots. Not sure if it ever had them. Has a small damaged place on the bottom back binding where it looks like it might have been dropped and it cracked the finish. The gold hardware is of course faded. It has been set up and plays very nicely. I took a few pictures of it and will post them later this evening. Going to have another peek at it tomorrow night.

The other one is a newer version in cream with gold binding. Maybe a 2016. Looks to be in very good shape. Has push pull pots. Nothing I could see wrong with it, other than the gold binding. $400 also. Not real crazy about the gold binding on first look. Not really bad looking with the chrome hardware. Played nicely.

A brand new white one off the shelf, $649. NEEDS a set up. Fret buzz galore near the nut.

Eddie 70

Reaction score
Some pics of the Wine Red. Anything glaringly wrong, please let me know. Thanks!!

Benniator

Reaction score
I got the GAS for a Custom right now too. It got started about a month ago with a wine red one I came across. It is a 2003 model with an asking price of $400. It has the Gibson truss rod cover. No push pull pots. Not sure if it ever had them. Has a small damaged place on the bottom back binding where it looks like it might have been dropped and it cracked the finish. The gold hardware is of course faded. It has been set up and plays very nicely. I took a few pictures of it and will post them later this evening. Going to have another peek at it tomorrow night.

The other one is a newer version in cream with gold binding. Maybe a 2016. Looks to be in very good shape. Has push pull pots. Nothing I could see wrong with it, other than the gold binding. $400 also. Not real crazy about the gold binding on first look. Not really bad looking with the chrome hardware. Played nicely.

A brand new white one off the shelf, $649. NEEDS a set up. Fret buzz galore near the nut.
I just got a Gibson LP. I’m on the fence about keeping my Epi. If I decide to sell it I’ll put it up on the seller forum, so keep an eye out if you’re interested.

There had been more runs of those in the past years,
even here in Germany
I’ve been out of the guitar loop for about 8 years, so I probably missed a few models.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Looks like a good one to me too. I like a plain top.