Epiphone custom pro (2012-2019) vs new epiphone custom

Marco2040

Reaction score
hi guys! i'm new in the forum. It's a pleasure to be here, my name is Marco. Do any of you know the differences between the two models. Apart from some aesthetic differences, the material of the fretboard (one in maple and the other in rosewood), and the fact that one has splittable pick up (the old one) and the other doesn't, I can't find any other differences on the net. Can anyone compare the pros and cons of the two models? I'm about to buy one of the two and I'm very undecided.
thank you

DrBGood

Reaction score
Apart from the headstock top inch, nothing I know of. Maybe the pots are a different brand, but they won't affect the tone of the guitar.

rbraad68

Reaction score
You get the ebony board on the new custom. Harness is different no push pull options. And the new style head stock. I think the newer pro buckers sound better. I know my 2006 custom didn't even have pro buckers so .....

DrBGood

Reaction score
You get the ebony board on the new custom. Harness is different no push pull options. And the new style head stock. I think the newer pro buckers sound better. I know my 2006 custom didn't even have pro buckers so .....
Probuckers are from 2010 on.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I didn't know that I'm sorta new to the epiphone brand. I leave it up to you more experienced guys for information.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
Basically the differences are:
- Headstock shape
- Electronics (no push-pull)
- Ebony fingerboard
- Graphtech NuBone nut (instead of normal plastic nut)
- 18:1 Grover tuners (instead of 14:1)

The rest is largely the same.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I didn't even consider the tuners being different. Nor the nut good call on thet man. I will be honest if you can find a newer inspired by custom that would be the way to go. I picked one up used 2021 from a friend for 500 bucks. Great guitar prob never get rid of it ...
new custom 13.jpg

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
Once in a while you'd also be able to find the old Matt Heafy model (the one with EMGs and blacked out hardware) - that's also another good one to consider if that's your kind of thing.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I gotta say that with all my 59's and even my Tribute. I really don't play my other guitars. These newer Customs and the JJ guitar are really good playing sounding guitars. I got mine back in april/may went thru it and stuck it on my wall. I never really played the guitar that much. These past few days i have taken it down dusted it off and I gotta say I am impressed. I had one before that was an early run of the 2020 inspired by models it was dated 2019 of November. I traded it away to my brother and that guitar I played all the time. It had wider frets than the one I got now just a sweet guitar. Out of the 2 I have owned so far both guitars played amazing and feel really good. I can't give enough praise to this guitar that is a fraction of the price of a real one. If your looking for a custom on a budget this one definitely checks all the boxes....

Marco2040

Reaction score
thanks a lot for your answers guys. As far as I understand from your answers there are not many differences, and this differences don't affect the sound much. Right? Since the old custom pros (used) are not easy to find (also because i'm left handed) the prices are quite high. practically compared to the brand new price of the last model there are really a few dollars of difference (like 50/70 dollars that nothing change in my budget). Do you agree that there is no valid reason to buy the old one? talking to a guitarist friend of mine he told me that in some cases the wood gets better with time. Do you think this aspect can make the difference in my case? thanks!!!!

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I don't think so with epiphone. Not the older ones for sure your best bet is with a newer model. I guess there were a few older ones like the Mat Hefey model would be nice....

DrBGood

Reaction score
... talking to a guitarist friend of mine he told me that in some cases the wood gets better with time. Do you think this aspect can make the difference in my case? thanks!!!!
You have strange friends ... LOL
If the recent ones are available as lefties, get one.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
thanks a lot for your answers guys. As far as I understand from your answers there are not many differences, and this differences don't affect the sound much. Right? Since the old custom pros (used) are not easy to find (also because i'm left handed) the prices are quite high. practically compared to the brand new price of the last model there are really a few dollars of difference (like 50/70 dollars that nothing change in my budget). Do you agree that there is no valid reason to buy the old one? talking to a guitarist friend of mine he told me that in some cases the wood gets better with time. Do you think this aspect can make the difference in my case? thanks!!!!
The differences are minimal, but more importantly, the newer ones do sport an ebony fingerboard which, aesthetics-wise, is just a more premium product. The push/pull controls are a nice to have but personally I find them ending up being a distraction more than anything.

I think your friend should try dabbling in the art of red wining instead of guitars. For guitars, just pick the one that looks and plays best to you - esp. in this price range.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
Old wood and ebony aside, you aren't going to go wrong either way. My 2016 Koa is as quality a guitar as I've played, and that inclues several of the Gibson models going back to the 60's.

1allspub

Reaction score
Epi is definitely building better, more appealing guitars now, IMO/IME. Go new!

As for the fretboards, the older ones are rosewood (not maple) and the newer ones are ebony (as they should be... rosewood-boarded LPCs are an abomination. ;)).

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Indonesian made LPC from 2011 without the Pro in the labeling. However it did come with probuckers and push pulls and the fretboard is ebony!
I'd go for one of new ones if I was you. Clean machines :)

rbraad68

Reaction score
As far as i know they never used the ebony for the boards on the customs until 2020 with the inspired by models. I mean i could be wrong im sure someone will chime in on that....

rbraad68

Reaction score
Epi is definitely building better, more appealing guitars now, IMO/IME. Go new!

As for the fretboards, the older ones are rosewood (not maple) and the newer ones are ebony (as they should be... rosewood-boarded LPCs are an abomination. ;)).
I have 2016 standard with a rose wood board. The new indian lural doesn't bother me ......

1allspub

Reaction score
I have 2016 standard with a rose wood board. The new indian lural doesn't bother me ......
Standards should have rosewood (the new IL doesn’t bother me either on an Epi). But a LPC should be ebony.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as i know they never used the ebony for the boards on the customs until 2020 with the inspired by models. I mean i could be wrong im sure someone will chime in on that....
You are wrong.

Latest Threads