Epiphone compared with Gibson

tributeman

Reaction score
Everybody who thinks they can tell the difference between an epiphone LP with gibson pickups(600-700 EUR), and a gibson LP (3000-4000 EUR), in a blind listening comparison, raise your hands!

(Having seen in other threads how many people struggle to tell a strat from an LP, I wonder...)

Same question for the feeling: Will a good strat or PRS guitarist who never held a LP model of any brand, be able to tell which of the 2 is the most expensive one, just by playing it blindfolded?

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
Hey rpeck, I have owned both and currently own a Gibson LP BFG and my epi was a cherry burst classic. Really the only thing I admired about the epi was the burst,it was a plain top so no veneer here. However, my gibson felt, sounded and played different in about every aspect of playing. As a note I had also replaced the epi's pup's there was an improvement but still not quite as nice as my gibson. As diceman said if you don't require these differences and your ear isn't quite as critical then an epi would suffice just fine. Happy playing and congrats on the new guitar.
Just traded my $899 Epi 1960v3 for a 849$ Gibson LP studio 60's tribute gt(lost my a#$ on trade in), and don't miss the Epi at all, even though it had Gibson pup's and Mallory electronics, it just was not the same.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
If I applied the same standards to guitars as I do to automobiles and most other products, I guess I'd never even consider buying a Gibson. :cool:
A shame. i'll keep on driving Mustang Gt's and Ford Trucks..playing Gibson , settling is awfull....but someone has to do it!!

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
May I ask, if you're serious about what?

Surely someone can be in the 'on a budget/for fun' category but also be very serious about their playing. I know I am and I'm sure there are many, many more out there who are.
I come from a region of extreme poverty (appalachia). we will play anything we can get our hands on. While I have a decent paying job in a big Yankee city, I'm getting the Gibson's I want now. When I return home for good I will have them. As soon as I get the Explorer I want; I will almost be done with my pile. I wanted a Gibson LP standard, but instead I have 3 lp's, an Elitist, a worn and faded Studio, and a new Gt studio. Did I settle as far as Cache" ? Absolutely. But playability wise, I feel I done better with my money by having 3 completely different guitars. Do I want a high-end Gibson? YES..but, can I justify an expense like that in this economy? Not to my old lady. especially after I recently spent $2700 for an Es335..

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
Everybody who thinks they can tell the difference between an epiphone LP with gibson pickups(600-700 EUR), and a gibson LP (3000-4000 EUR), in a blind listening comparison, raise your hands!

(Having seen in other threads how many people struggle to tell a strat from an LP, I wonder...)

Same question for the feeling: Will a good strat or PRS guitarist who never held a LP model of any brand, be able to tell which of the 2 is the most expensive one, just by playing it blindfolded?
I've done that comparison , and IMHO the 1960v3 sounds more like the new "Midtown Custom" than a Les paul. Outstanding for the money IMHO.

twitch

Reaction score
Well, this is an f'n old, redundant thread, but Ill add my 2 cents anyhow. I own both. I have 2 Epis and a Gibson. Frankly in my opinion, the longer I own both, the more the comparison is apples and oranges. They both have short comings and strengths opposite of each other. I dont believe in too much of this inferior wood non-sense. While Im sure the Epis employ more pieces of wood that MAY not be the same quality as Gibson uses, theyre not pieces of shit. Frankly, how do you judge quality of wood anyhow, moisture content, density, grain? Well, moisture content and density can be felt in the weight. Both moisture content and density add to sustain, or the amount of transfer of the vibration of the strings into the body of the guitar. My Epi LPS weighs 10lbs, my Epi LPC weighs about 9.5. Both of my Epis sustain and resonate just as much as my Gibson, which weighs in at around 11lbs. So if a lighter wood could be said to have less moisture content and density, where do the non-chambered, 8 pound Gibsons fit in? Im sure they sound just fine, but I bet they dont resonate and sustain as much. So what exactly does quality of wood mean? As far as the grain goes, I cant say for my Gibson, which is black backed, or my Epi LPC which is a solid color, but the Epi LPS has a very nice, full straight grain on the back. It doesnt look poor or shoddy to me.

Price. "Well, my Gibson cost $2500 and your Epi cost $599." Well, number one, for the price point compared to other import brands, the Epis kick ass in their features. Im a huge Jackson fan, and theres nothing in Jacksons $599 range that compares to the Epis. A lot of other brands are the same way. Gibson, you get a lot of guitar for $2500 new, but in all honesty, and again, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, theres not a $1900 difference between the two. The Gibsons have better hardware, pickups, a few finish nuances (binding over frets, nitro finish, level frets etc.) and if you pick up 20 of them, ok, a little better wood. However, used prices, the Gibson are more in line with the advantages over an Epi. I paid $1800 for my Gibson. Ill say it was worth it. It was just the right one, so I paid a little more than the particular model goes for used. Normally though, you could pick one up similar to mine for $1500-$1600. So, you do get what you pay for in a Gibson if you buy used. Reissues not with standing. I dont get the prices with those things. I think theyre more of a collectors thing for those that would rather have the original but cant afford it, but Im getting off topic with that.

In closing, say you find that Epi with good weight, sustain and resonance(theyre out there, Ive got two, you just gotta pick up a few). If you buy it new(basing this of the the LPC new price), and upgrade everything, bridge, tail piece, pots, pots, caps, pickups, toggle switch and a fret leveling, youll be looking at an $1400 guitar. You wont NEED to do that though. The only thing I would change on my Epis would be the cheap ass bridge thats on it, fret level on my LPC and maybe the pots and caps.

smickers86

Reaction score
I find that you can get some good Epiphones from time too time. I have played a few that compared to Gibson in play ability and resonated better than some Gibsons but IMO they are few and far between. Gibson in the last decade has had many quality control issues and although the woods and probably top notch I have seen horrible tops come out. I had experience with a fret board raise up and detach, my friend owns a Gibson Gothic that I question every time I play it. fret dressing has been a problem in lower priced guitars (studio's and Specials, faded series).
all this said Gibson still makes some of the finest guitars in the world. and although there has been a increase in QC issues they usually come out top notch, not sure if they are worth the really high price tag though..

I own a Gibson Standard currently and a 90's burny Les Paul and the Burny is of better quality and I purchased it for a fraction of the cost of the Gibson. I also own a ESP Eclipse and that also has more attention to detail than the Gibson and was 3/4 the price.

in the past I have owned a Gibson Studio and a Gibson Studio Faded. the Faded was actually a great guitar and so was the Studio. but I have played a Epiphone that was better.. it happens.

at the end of the day you can own expensive guitars or cheep ones but the only thing that matters is how you like it.

I currently own a Gibson Standard, a ESP Eclipse, A burny 90's LP, and a Ibanez SZMH and I'll be damned if I don't reach for the $400 Ibanez 90% of the time...

Seth Acidrain

Reaction score
Gibsons and Epiphones are the exact same.
The diffrence is you are paying for Gibsons brand name and the hardware.

They are just as good as Epiphones.
I compared the diffrence between Gibson les paul custom and Epiphone les paul custom. Almost no diffrence. BUT the Epiphone les paul custom is 1/3rd of the price cheaper.

dcooper830

Reaction score
This dude has almost 2 million views on his video...and I have no idea why. :laugh2:

Epiphone Les Paul versus Gibson Les Paul guitar review - YouTube

I know.

It's a bunch of :blah: :blah: :blah: followed by some sloppy riffs through a massively fuzzed out Line 6..... played on the Epiphone only.

Yet people always post that in Epi vs. Gibson threads.... as though it is somehow informative.

edit: Although I do like that David Taub guy. He seems pretty cool. And I actually like the video to a certain extent.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score

No, they're not.

That depends on the criteria of the individual player.

I compared the diffrence between Gibson les paul custom and Epiphone les paul custom. Almost no diffrence. BUT the Epiphone les paul custom is 1/3rd of the price cheaper.

What were your comparison points? Without knowing those, your opinion has little meaning to the reader.

LPBR

Reaction score
Not going to compare Epis with Gibsons.

I will just say that mostly of people I know that had put a lot of money on one thing (not only guitars but ANY thing) never will admit that a similar cheaper item is as good as his expensive object.

Actually those people not even want to debate about the subject. I am talking about that childish thing when you close the ears with the fingers and keep saying "lah-lah-lah-lah-lah" out loud to not hear anything...

:D

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score

I will just say that mostly of people I know that had put a lot of money on one thing (not only guitars but ANY thing) never will admit that a similar cheaper item is as good as his expensive object.

Actually those people not even want to debate about the subject. I am talking about that childish thing when you close the ears with the fingers and keep saying "lah-lah-lah-lah-lah" out loud to not hear anything...

:D

I don't think I've ever seen a poster forget a vow so quickly as this. :naughty:

River

Reaction score

Realizing there's a language barrier here, you might want to look up the word "cheap". :D

LPBR

Reaction score
Price. "Well, my Gibson cost $2500 and your Epi cost $599." Well, number one, for the price point compared to other import brands, the Epis kick ass in their features. Im a huge Jackson fan, and theres nothing in Jacksons $599 range that compares to the Epis. A lot of other brands are the same way. Gibson, you get a lot of guitar for $2500 new, but in all honesty, and again, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, theres not a $1900 difference between the two.
Very nice point, this specific one.

:hmm:

I have told it a few times. If you compare a $300 guitar with a $3000 guitar, it doesn't necessarily means that one is 10x better than the other just because it costs 10x more. The price is a resultant of several other variables, such as production cost, for instances.

Obviously a Made in USA product will be too much more expensive than a Made in China one, because labor cost in USA is too much more higher. I think that it is too much more significant in the price difference than the quality itself. If Gibsons would made in China, even with the best hardware and wood, probably they would cost at the max twice as an Epi.

leifpaul

Reaction score

:lol:

wmoonman

Reaction score
I'm still kind of new here so this is my 1st time putting in a "kick" on a thoroughly dead horse of a topic. Using a beer analogy; Gibson is the Anheuser Busch of guitars.(Fender would be Coors/Miller) Anheuser Busch's best seller is light beer with two main "brands". Gibby LP's = Bud Light. Epi LP's = Busch Light. One is a little higher quality & more expensive than the other. Some people prefer the taste of Busch Light over Bud Light even though Bud Light uses superior ingredients over Busch Light. Some people can't taste the difference between the two, some people can. Some of the people who can taste a difference aren't willing to pay more for BL, some people are. Both can get you hammered. After consuming few of each, who cares? Anheuser Busch doesn't. They are just fine with whichever "light beers" of theirs you buy. Have a beer and play what you like. :jam:
(If you try hard enough, you can use beer analogies for almost any argument)

Latest Threads