Epiphone compared with Gibson

Gooner

Reaction score
Check out the Joe Bonamassa thread there is a clip of him playing all three models, they are all great guitars, and if anyones giving them away I'll take any of them.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
No decent artist would play an Epi on stage. Definitely not to an audience of millions on television anyways...

Gretchen Wilson & Alice in Chains - Barracuda - YouTube

maybe not since the late 50s/early 60s after gibson bought them.but keep in mind that they were gibsons direct competition for many years,and they were good enough for the beatles.ann wilson of heart plays one onstage,but i guess girls dont count...

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
maybe not since the late 50s/early 60s after gibson bought them.but keep in mind that they were gibsons direct competition for many years,and they were good enough for the beatles.ann wilson of heart plays one onstage,but i guess girls dont count...

I think he was joking man. He is an Epi guru. He knows better.

InfiniteeZ

Reaction score
May I ask, if you're serious about what?

Surely someone can be in the 'on a budget/for fun' category but also be very serious about their playing. I know I am and I'm sure there are many, many more out there who are.

To be fair, judging by your signature, I WOULDN'T doubt you weren't serious. There are those of us who can only afford a guitar once every so many years, if that. And I guess I was just speaking on behalf of those folk. Which is inconsiderate considering there are many varieties of people that make up this great forum.

Yes, I am young. Yes, I can be wrong. BUT, I've felt the difference, that surely can count for something?

I'm not trying to bring Epiphone owners down or tell anyone what they should buy or anything, I'm merely speaking on what I've experienced, and the thing is - we've all experienced these guitars differently!

dfwadjuster

Reaction score
Epiphone if you're on a budget/for fun

Gibson if you're serious.

I just got a Gibson LP Classic after years of playing an Epiphone and the difference is just incredible.
I think Jason and Gooner nailed it

I think this guy is pretty serious...playing an Epi
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZeDn-hHGE&feature=relmfu]Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights - YouTube[/ame]

classic_rock

Reaction score
I just love these conversations. To me personally having a Gibson is the ultimate. Saying that, I can't afford one. I don't mind having a loaded Epiphone. In fact I absolutely love owning my Epipiphones. The 50th anniversary v3 plays like a dream. It is sort of a wolf in sheeps clothing. If an Epiphone is what you can afford get it. Be proud of it and enjoy.

I have three British Marshalls, one USA Mesa, one China Vox. The Mesa is the most stout of the three, but that don't mean the Marshalls or Vox aren't as good. It is a matter of taste. I will not hesitate buying another Epiphone no matter what country of origin. Epiphone has had a lot of history and I think for the money a good one is hard to beat.

My opinion is buy the best you can afford on anything. Ford/Lincoln, Chevy/GMC, or whatever. There is always going to be competition, guitars are like everything else. In the end it is all about you, get whatever inspires you. Don't knock anyone who doen't have as expensive or perceived nice gear as your own. Someone next to you always has one up on you. Just be happy you have a guitar and just have fun.

Gibson/Epi Fan

Reaction score
The thing about epiphones is that some are better manufactured than others.

earlier today, i was in my local music store and played an Epiphone SG 400. sounded awful. then i played an Epiphone Firebird that i had been eying and it played just as good as my gibsons.

Even two of the same models can sound differently. a buddy of mine who owns an Epiphone SG 400 and it sounds pretty good.

another thing is the model. A gibson les paul traditional pro($1900) and an epiphone les paul traditional pro($500) have a big cost difference and similar sound quality.

IMHO: if the cost for the gibson is outrageous and can get a similar model for hundreds less, go with the Epi unless you have the cash to spare to buy a gibson.

Gibson/Epi Fan

Reaction score
how old are you? 4? they were rivals back in the day. some epis are good enough to match(rarely beat) gibsons in sound quality.

Gibson/Epi Fan

Reaction score
In response to The1jj, i like the name, it's the headstock shape i don't like. that's why i go for the explorer/firebird gibson shaped headstock models.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Just in case we didn't have enough of these threads running around this weekend, this one got necro'ed.

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just in case we didn't have enough of these threads running around this weekend, this one got necro'ed.

We're always going to have new and necro'd threads on this subject mate - nothing we can do about it.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
This dude has almost 2 million views on his video...and I have no idea why. :laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE]Epiphone Les Paul versus Gibson Les Paul guitar review - YouTube[/ame]

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You do know that now we're going to get a lot of threads asking "I'm thinking of turning my TRC upside down... has anybody done this before and will it affect my tone?" (Gibson owners only, of course.)

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well of course it works. It doesn't give you Slash tone but you do get GuyOnTheYouTubevideo tone.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Is it true that if you flip the control cavity cover you clear up an Epi's muddiness?

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I did that on one of mine - it magically turned into a Gibson!

Latest Threads