Epiphone compared with Gibson

The Refugee

Reaction score
You REALLY had to revive this old thread? Really?

A PM wouldn't have sufficed? I banish you from this holy and sacred land!

128796915457939066.jpg

;)

groovedoggie1

Reaction score
Having owned both (a multitude of Epis, a Gibson Studio SG, a Gibson Studio Lite LP, and a Gibson 60s Tribute LP) and having played many more, here's my own personal opinion:

Low end Gibsons > low end Epiphone. Gibsons are solidly built and use better electrical components. Low end Epi may use bolt-on neck, etc.

Higher end Epiphones > lower end Gibsons. Fit, finish, and overall build quality are typically MUCH better than Gibson. You may end up swapping out electrical components and end up with a much better guitar for less than half of what you would have paid for the Gibson.

High end Gibson > high end Epiphones. Seems to me that Gibson saves all of their quality control for their more expensive models, so the build quality is on par with Epiphone, less pieces of wood involved, nitro vs poly finish (if that's your thing), and the best electronics. Gibson wins (unless we're talking about Elitists...). Of course, you'll be spending anywhere from four to ten times as much on your Gibson.

chriseskew24

Reaction score
Just my experience and I am not a guitar snob. I own squire CV tele and other budget guitars.

I have owned three epi's in my life. One in the 90's which was a awesome guitar as I recall. Then in the last four years I have owned two epi's which neither lasted more then a month. For me it is really hard to put my finger on what I don't like about them. Just not my thing I guess.

One thing I would recommend would be to check out some Greco MIJ les paul's. I got my Greco a month or so ago and it is on par with my gibby in every way for only $650.00.

the1jj

Reaction score
Groove nailed it right on the head. They're the same company, only the kids care what's on the headstock. The new tributes feel almost like the elitist's and with a gut swap, noone would ever know the difference in a blind test.

Tone is in the fingers and in the soul.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Here' perhaps a new take on this question. I have both a Gibson and an Epi, and am not a guitar "cork sniffer". Epis are finished in clear coated poly (like cars are) while Gibsons have a thinner lacquer finish. Epi bodies are made from more pieces of wood glued together. Some say these things make the Gibby sound better. I say, not necessarily better, but different. Gibbys come with a better fret level and set up (usually) Gibby's come with better pups, hardware, and electronics (usually). Epis don't retain their value and then possibly appreciate as Gibbys do. Other than these things, the issue is up to your ears and hands

The Refugee

Reaction score
Okay I'll compare the two.

Epiphone is made overseas a large majority of the time.

Gibson is made in the USA.

Comparison done.

The Refugee

Reaction score
If I applied the same standards to guitars as I do to automobiles and most other products, I guess I'd never even consider buying a Gibson. :cool:

Judging by your signature, I wouldn't think you'd consider a Gibson :laugh2:

josephchoi

Reaction score
I own an epi and I've played a few Gibby's... I think the main difference as far as playing goes is more the feel than the sound. Stock epi's generally feel sort of "dead" to me, they need some work done to make them shine. A new nut and new caps/pots really make a difference on the epi's though. Soundwise they're actually pretty close from what I can tell.

jason_mazzy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Plain tops are also veneers. Epi bodies and caps are each 4-5 pieces. Plain and flame are both veneer.

Elitist model plain tops are "real" - Elitist flames are veneer.

I believe it to be a book matched maple top with a thick veneer added.

Elitist Epiphones offer everything a Gibson does minus (-) the nitro; instead of the nitro you get, a Bone nut, real MOP, and real Abalone inlays and upgraded tuners. Generally as good or better fit and finish than most production Gibsons.

There are generally 3-4 levels of Gibson type/made guitars:

Best: Gibson Historics/Custom shop Price: $3000-$5000 (and up for limited runs)

Better: Gibson standard line/Epiphone Elitists Price: Gibson $1800-$2700 Elitist: $600-$1000

Good: Gibson low end models/Some Epiphones. Price: Gibson $800-$1200 Epiphone: $350-$700+

Fair: Epiphones in general Price: $100-$700

Now compare the prices to the features and quality of construction and most people will pop for a used elitist.

Gooner

Reaction score
Here is my take, if you're interested:

I got my first guitar in the early seventies, a starter guitar, it was complete rubbish, bad pickups, bad switches, broke strings at the bridge end, neck really awkward, I think it came from woolworths or somewhere. So believe me I know cheap poor quality construction.

Fender and Gibson decided to seriously compete in what is probably the busiest section of the guitar market. So they moved this part of their production to Asia so that they could compete price wise.

Gibson in the guise of Epiphone build guitars to hit the lower to middle end of the price market from starter guitars up to intermediate and professional, where as Gibson USA targets only the professional and collector markets(and those who have have plenty of dosh)

Even the cheapest Epiphone is quite a nice guitar, it may need a bit of sorting out but generally they are good guitars. They are not made of plywood or other such nonsense and they can be upgraded.

I personally was looking for a Les Paul some months back. I did plenty of research, lurking on the web and reading reviews from all over. My price point was £500-£600. So what could I get? Most of the high end Epi's and if I stretched a bit more, a Studio. Now fortunately I've read a lot of comparison articles on the signature models Gibson v Epiphone Slash etc and on the 59 standard and the tribute models, the consensus being that the Epi's were high spec,very good and crossed over into Gibson territory. So anyway I decided to go for an Epi with a reasonably high spec for the money I was going to shell out. In the end I bought an immaculate Epi Snakepit s/h for £400 because it was well spec'd and was a little "different" from the norm. It gives me a good quality guitar at a price I could afford so I could enter new guitar territory. I am very happy with it but I think the pots and switch could do with upgrading. (when I can get off my ass I will do a thread on the guitar . )

Would I buy a Gibson, absolutely, it would only be a Custom shop model, maybe one day when I've won the lottery! In the mean time next on my list is a Junior. Epi if I can get one of their Ltd edition or a Gibson B.J. Armstrong, all at the right price of course..

rjwilson37

Reaction score
OMG, I have insecurities and need to buy a Gibson right away! :Ohno::eek::wow::hyper:

I also have a special purpose, but we can't talk about that here. :laugh2:

InfiniteeZ

Reaction score
Epiphone if you're on a budget/for fun

Gibson if you're serious.

I just got a Gibson LP Classic after years of playing an Epiphone and the difference is just incredible.
I think Jason and Gooner nailed it

budg

Reaction score
I have both (see my sig). The Gibson feels and plays better .The neck is way faster than the epi.I like both , but my Gibson is an overall better guitar.

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Epiphone if you're on a budget/for fun

Gibson if you're serious.

I just got a Gibson LP Classic after years of playing an Epiphone and the difference is just incredible.
I think Jason and Gooner nailed it

May I ask, if you're serious about what?

Surely someone can be in the 'on a budget/for fun' category but also be very serious about their playing. I know I am and I'm sure there are many, many more out there who are.

Latest Threads