Epiphone compared with Gibson

rpeck287

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Rob and I am new to the site. I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul plain top honeyburst. I ordered it from amazon and did the setup on it and it plays great and is a real fine instrument. I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls. Does the incredible difference in price between the two mean Gibsons are way better than Epiphones? The one I just bought seems very nice for the money.Thanks for any replies.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Rob and I am new to the site. This is my first post. I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul plain top honeyburst. I ordered it from amazon and did the setup on it and it plays great and is a real fine instrument. I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls. Does the incredible difference in price between the two mean Gibsons are way better than Epiphones? The one I just bought seems very nice for the money.Thanks for any replies.

Hi

and welcome here.
Congrats on your Epi!

And yes it was done a thousand times - with no real result.........

So here we go again.........:lol:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You'll get a lot of replies to "use the search function."

Deciding which is better for you boils down to your priorities.

Gibsons use better woods. They use Nitrocellulose finishes. Higher quality hardware and electronics. There is a lot more hand work going in to a Gibson. Hand scraped bindings (with fret end binding), a more time intensive finishing process, and the like.

Epis are made from more pieces of less choice wood, use veneers for flame tops, poly finishes, etc.

If you don't require everything that Gibson offers, they aren't for you. But, there is no question, that Gibsons are higher quality by every objective measure in every area of construction as compared to Epiphone. Some of the bottom of the barrel Gibson models may be a bit "rougher" than some Epis in fit and finish, though.

switchback

Reaction score
Hey rpeck, I have owned both and currently own a Gibson LP BFG and my epi was a cherry burst classic. Really the only thing I admired about the epi was the burst,it was a plain top so no veneer here. However, my gibson felt, sounded and played different in about every aspect of playing. As a note I had also replaced the epi's pup's there was an improvement but still not quite as nice as my gibson. As diceman said if you don't require these differences and your ear isn't quite as critical then an epi would suffice just fine. Happy playing and congrats on the new guitar.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
basically the epi will get you 8/10s of the way there for a lot less money.certain models even come with gibson pickups,the boneyard and slash sig among them...

River

Reaction score
The difference in price is not "incredible". The difference in finish (literally, "paint", etc. - not fit) is dramatic. Well worth it to me - at used prices anyway. But no one needs any of that, we just like it.

<--Loves me Epi!

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Plain tops are also veneers. Epi bodies and caps are each 4-5 pieces. Plain and flame are both veneer.

Elitist model plain tops are "real" - Elitist flames are veneer.

switchback

Reaction score
Thanks fuel and dice I stand corrected ..... I was thinking of a photo finish :wow:. I had an Ibanez which had a photo finish. Yes my epi had a veneer, nice one at that though. Sorry for the wrong info. :shock:

River

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a properly finished veneer. Some of the most expensive pieces of woodwork ever made are veneered.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with veneers, as long as there's real maple beneath it. :naughty:

ext1jdh

Reaction score
"better" is also subjective to the ear of the player.

Jason

Reaction score
You'd really have to play some Gibsons yourself to answer your questions.

I will say, however, that I have owned 3 Gibsons over the years and my favorite guitar of all time was made in China and cost me $130 new. Blowing a huge wad on a guitar won't make you sound any better or play faster. Might make your friends jealous, I suppose.

planks

Reaction score
Welcome aboard and congrats on the Epi.

Phildog

Reaction score
CONGRATS!!! These Epi's are some fine pieces of art. I love my Standard. Upgrading the pots should yield some great tone capabilities. Here is a vid you may find interesting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzdcOcpyuE[/ame]

KP

Oldtimer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

mjwassiing

Reaction score
For an actual comparison you might try this one. I was filmed by a respected member of this forum.

YouTube - dcooper830's Channel

Hi,
New member here. I am currently reading through all the debate on this topic. I just wanted to say that your video (along with the video just before it), was the most helpful information I have seen (or read) in the last two or so hours. Thanks for posting.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi,
New member here. I am currently reading through all the debate on this topic. I just wanted to say that your video (along with the video just before it), was the most helpful information I have seen (or read) in the last two or so hours. Thanks for posting.

Welcome to the forum.

I'll be the first to say that anyone to raises hell over your reviving this old thread can kiss both our asses. ;)

Latest Threads