Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro.. The next Grail pickups???

Cj_Havoc

Reaction score
The Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro
So I own a set of these and was digging around for information on them,as these pickups are killer and do the 73-75 Jimmy Page tone flawlessly..
After week's of research I've come to the conclusion that these are basically late 60's T-top reproductions..
even wound*mine read out at 7.7 neck and 8.1 bridge the bridge is a tad bit hotter than a original T-top..
42 awg polywire*same as the original T-top.
nickel silver baseplate, maple spacers*the original T-top would have plastic spacers* the two pickups are so so close in spec..
When I first got these I wondered why the bridge pickup had a certain"Quack" to it, it's very similar to the bridge pickup in Page's#1 it sounded so close to the song remains the same tone..
I even tinkered with the idea of using the neck pu in the bridge position and a 57 classic in the neck..
I'm absolutely blown away by these pickups...

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Really? I am glad someone likes them. I found them, in a SG Pro, to be some of the worst anemic sounding lumps of crap in the last 20 years to be dumped in any production guitar. There are other contenders for that title, like the Ibanez Powersounds from the 2003 reissue or the ones put out by First Act, but the ACP... god awful to my ears.

Max Max

Reaction score
I had them in my Epiphone and changed them out for the Probuckers. Good lead tone on the neck pickup, but the bridge wasn't hot enough for me.

AJK1

Reaction score
The Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro
So I own a set of these and was digging around for information on them,as these pickups are killer and do the 73-75 Jimmy Page tone flawlessly..
After week's of research I've come to the conclusion that these are basically late 60's T-top reproductions..
even wound*mine read out at 7.7 neck and 8.1 bridge the bridge is a tad bit hotter than a original T-top..
42 awg polywire*same as the original T-top.
nickel silver baseplate, maple spacers*the original T-top would have plastic spacers* the two pickups are so so close in spec..
When I first got these I wondered why the bridge pickup had a certain"Quack" to it, it's very similar to the bridge pickup in Page's#1 it sounded so close to the song remains the same tone..
I even tinkered with the idea of using the neck pu in the bridge position and a 57 classic in the neck..
I'm absolutely blown away by these pickups...
What amp are you using ?

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I had a few guitars with Alnico Classic pickups and I couldn't get along with them. In 2014 I bought an Epi 339 which had the "Pro" version pickups and they were magnificent in that guitar. I am not sure how they are different from a construction standpoint, but they certainly sounded different/better.

Gary

Reaction score
They sound very nice in my Epi Sheraton and I have no need To change them.

robalx9

Reaction score
Stupid question, where's the best place to get the Epiphone pickups? I see some sellers from China selling them w/ some wonky logos on the pickups. Are these legit?

Antigua

Reaction score
AFAIK, prior to the ProBuckers, all of their covered humbuckers used brass, which attenuates the treble significantly. If people thought Gibsons "just sounded better", that would have been an extremely plausible reason for the difference. I'm sure some people like a reduced treble, because it's very similar to rolling back on the tone control, from an electrical standpoint even, and of course a lot of people do that anyway.

If I'm playing though a Fender with tons of brightness on tap, I'll work the tone control, but through a Marshall or similar darker amps, I'd leave the tone at 10, so I prefer the uncovered or nickel silver covered humbuckers. I think a lot of us got into aftermarket pickups specifically because Fender/Squier and Epiphone load high-attenuation pickups into their cheaper models.

Latest Threads