Epiphone 98T Pro Pickup Nice Deep Full Tone

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I purchased the Epiphone Jerry Cantrell 'Wino' Les Paul Custom that came with the new Epiphone 98T Pro pickup. I am finding that Epiphone's new pickup is really a winner, which has a very deep full rich driven tone that is fantastic. I do a really quickly comparison here to the Gibson 498T+ that I have in my Gibson Les Paul Studio HP and I think it has a little bit deeper/fuller/richer tone to it. See if you can hear the difference, in person, I can really hear the difference with the driven tone. I did a previous video comparing clean tones between Gibson 490R/498T+ to the Epiphone Alnico Classic Pro/98T Pro combination, and there were some close similarities, but the driven tone really shines on the 98T Pro that Epiphone has created.

Last edited:

wjlim22

Reaction score
Any idea of the output reading on the 98T?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Any idea of the output reading on the 98T?
I don't have a meter, so I don't know what it is, but I have contacted Gibson/Epiphone to find out the specs of this new pickup.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Do you find that your 498T is brighter than the 98T Pro?

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sound great.

Nice side by side comparison. I can’t hear too much difference between the two.

Great playing.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I found my meter.

Bridge: 12.93
Middle: 4.78
Neck: 7.59

My customs with 498T are usually around 13k at the bridge. The Adam Jones Standard bridge pickup is 16k.
Here is what Gibson/Epiphone stated in there reply.

Thanks for reaching out. The Epiphone 98T Pro features the same specifications as the Gibson 498T, but manufactured at our Asian pickup factory. The 98T Pro features the same high quality parts like are used on our Probucker series pickups. Nickel Silver unit bases, German Elektrisola Magnet wire, exact bobbin dimensions, etc.

I hope this information helps. Thanks again!

Gibson 498T Specs are basically 13.6k/Alnico V with Enhanced Mids and Highs

So the 12.93 you're reading is a little weaker, but still in the 13k ballpark.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Here is what Gibson/Epiphone stated in there reply.

Thanks for reaching out. The Epiphone 98T Pro features the same specifications as the Gibson 498T, but manufactured at our Asian pickup factory. The 98T Pro features the same high quality parts like are used on our Probucker series pickups. Nickel Silver unit bases, German Elektrisola Magnet wire, exact bobbin dimensions, etc.

I hope this information helps. Thanks again!

Gibson 498T Specs are basically 13.6k/Alnico V with Enhanced Mids and Highs

So the 12.93 you're reading is a little weaker, but still in the 13k ballpark.
Very interesting. Thanks for that info.

Ted Pikul

Reaction score
I love Gibson's 498 pickup, and I'm really impressed by my recently-acquired Epiphone 59 LP Standard, so this guitar is very much of interest to me. Does anyone know if Epiphone's 98T pickup is ceramic, or alnico? Can we assume we assume that it's alnico, from Epiphone's response above - i.e. "This is a 498, but made overseas"?

Latest Threads