Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

syco

Reaction score
"Just out of curiosity , how are they supposed to know you are buying that exact guitar and you like it set up a certain way ?"

Well of course they are not supposed to know how I like my guitars personally set up but they are supposed to know the typical Les Paul setup criteria. This guitar isn't even close. Low E string height at the 12th fret is 2.75mm. That's a long way from the standard 2mm I have several other Indonesian made guitars that came set up much better than this one. I have three G&L tributes that were great right out of the box for half the price so this guitar having such a poor setup is a surprising. Don't get me wrong, I really like this guitar for many reasons but it still needs some work to be playable.
My photo files are too large for this server so I'll have to reduce their resolution to get them posted but at least the neck pickup photo fits. More to follow.
Nice looking top on that one !

I have 3 of the 59's . The Southern Fade , Aged Lemon , Aged Dark Burst .
IMG_7785.JPG
All three required a "slightly " different set up from the " Les Paul " specs . I myself prefer that they don't come with a "basic " set up . That's the " fun " part to me .

bnwitt

Reaction score
Fun I guess is in he mind of the beholder. LOL I have a couple of early 90's Fender American Deluxe Strats which were both perfect right out of the box from the Corona Factory. Granted, those guitars were top of the line except for the custom shop models, but for close to $1k, a playable setup is something I use as an "eye on details" indicator of the factory's Q.C. department. As I said, my Korean G&Ls needed no adjustments out of the box.

I had planned to upgrade the bridge and tailpiece anyway so this is no big deal and the quality of the guitar is great. I actually like the satin finish on this guitar a lot. I'll lower the stock bridge and try it this weekend into my Hoffman BFDR and my Marshal JCM 2000 DSL401 amps. Rock on Syco. Thanks for your responses. You trio of 59s look great.

syco

Reaction score
Fun I guess is in he mind of the beholder. LOL I have a couple of early 90's Fender American Deluxe Strats which were both perfect right out of the box from the Corona Factory. Granted, those guitars were top of the line except for the custom shop models, but for close to $1k, a playable setup is something I use as an "eye on details" indicator of the factory's Q.C. department. As I said, my Korean G&Ls needed no adjustments out of the box.

I had planned to upgrade the bridge and tailpiece anyway so this is no big deal and the quality of the guitar is great. I actually like the satin finish on this guitar a lot. I'll lower the stock bridge and try it this weekend into my Hoffman BFDR and my Marshal JCM 2000 DSL401 amps. Rock on Syco. Thanks for your responses. You trio of 59s look great.
Keep us updated on the progress !

rbraad68

Reaction score
I received my southern fade this week. I am just now inspecting it. I like the finish and have no plan to polish it or change it. The setup on the other hand is awful. The neck is straight but the bridge is way high on the low E side making the string clearance at the neck high frets very high and the guitar unplayable. They raised the bridge pickup to achieve the pickup to string clearance and it is cockeyed in the pickup trim ring which looks ridiculous. I don't know who set this guitar up, but they didn't know what they were doing.
Since I am going to have to straighten this out, I am going to go ahead and install the Faber bridge and tailpiece kit. I also don't like the stock control knobs as the numbers do not contrast well with the knob body. I'll be changing those as well.
That sounds about right man !! No worries man just get your faber parts installed and do a good setup on the guitar. Out of the 12-13 Epi Lp's I've bought over the past couple yrs.. I have One maybe 2 show up in decent playing condition the rest needed to be set up. Though I set all my guitars up when I first get them. Not a big deal man. Post pics when you get the Faber parts on and the guitar set up..... Oh and congrats man!!! Your going to like these 59's...

bnwitt

Reaction score
That sounds about right man !! No worries man just get your faber parts installed and do a good setup on the guitar. Out of the 12-13 Epi Lp's I've bought over the past couple yrs.. I have One maybe 2 show up in decent playing condition the rest needed to be set up. Though I set all my guitars up when I first get them. Not a big deal man. Post pics when you get the Faber parts on and the guitar set up..... Oh and congrats man!!! Your going to like these 59's...
I'm excited. My only other LP is an Aria Pro PE-ANNIV with 57 classics in it that I bought at winter NAMM 2002 and modified. It is a great guitar and I can't wait to compare it with the 59 and it's burstbuckers.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Will do. I just ordered the Faber master kit.
Did you go with the Aged Nickel ? I have used a few of these kits on my 59's ... Good deal on these kits if you can get them while he has his holiday sale going on at 20% off. My last kit I think I got for 197 with the 20% off...

faber bridge pieces 07.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
I'm excited. My only other LP is an Aria Pro PE-ANNIV with 57 classics in it that I bought at winter NAMM 2002 and modified. It is a great guitar and I can't wait to compare it with the 59 and it's burstbuckers.
Post some pics man lets see this thing!! These really are some nice guitars. I was blown away when I got my " first " one !! My first 59 was a train wreck when I got the thing! Exactly what you described. Bridge set really high pickup to match couple dings but after a good setup and hefty discount from MF.. This i one of my best playing guitars i own!! I have 4 of these 59's now lol and still want one more one of these days!!
the four omigos 01.jpg

bnwitt

Reaction score
Did you go with the Aged Nickel ? I have used a few of these kits on my 59's ... Good deal on these kits if you can get them while he has his holiday sale going on at 20% off. My last kit I think I got for 197 with the 20% off...

View attachment 626240
Nope. I went with the polished nickel. I was supposed to get a 10% discount for signing up on his site but it didn't kick in for some reason. Oh well

bnwitt

Reaction score
Post some pics man lets see this thing!! These really are some nice guitars. I was blown away when I got my " first " one !! My first 59 was a train wreck when I got the thing! Exactly what you described. Bridge set really high pickup to match couple dings but after a good setup and hefty discount from MF.. This i one of my best playing guitars i own!! I have 4 of these 59's now lol and still want one more one of these days!! View attachment 626243
I posted some pictures on page 62 of this thread. A front and back photo

rbraad68

Reaction score
I posted some pictures on page 62 of this thread. A front and back photo
I guess I should of looked before asking. Yeah the 10% e-mail thing is tricky my first time i didn't get it to work either. Yeah I got the regular nickel set on a couple of my LP's. They look really good plus the quality of these parts. You will see man you will be happy you went with these parts. Well keep us posted man can't wait to see how this thing comes out and what you think of the guitar when your done....

bnwitt

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to purchase the Les Paul Standard 1959 truss rod cover shown in the attached photo?

Attachments

• mJGsrHr.jpg
    mJGsrHr.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 6

syco

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to purchase the Les Paul Standard 1959 truss rod cover shown in the attached photo?
Most likely custom made . Have to find someone who can "engrave " them .

rbraad68

Reaction score
Are you looking to replace your blank one for one that says standard? Believe it or not E-bay is a good place to find these.....

syco

Reaction score
I figured as much. I'll just order the one that says Standard.
Might try Etsy . I've seen a few people on there that make /engrave truss rod covers ..... usually in the $15 -20 range .

bnwitt

Reaction score
Are you looking to replace your blank one for one that says standard? Believe it or not E-bay is a good place to find these.....
Yep. I just ordered one that says Standard on eBay along with some Schaller strap locks and a nice wide padded strap. This guitar weighs 8 lbs. 13 ozs. which is pretty light for an LP. One of my swamp ash G&L ASAT tributes weighs in at over 10 lbs.

bnwitt

Reaction score
Might try Etsy . I've seen a few people on there that make /engrave truss rod covers ..... usually in the $15 -20 range .
I found a custom on Etsy for $13 plus shipping was $20 bucks. That seemed a bit much.

Arbuilder

Reaction score
got my aged cherry fade today. installed the faber bridge and tailpiece with steel bushings f-one oil on the fretboard gotoh locking vintage tuners.

Attachments

• 20220807_012150.jpg
    20220807_012150.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220807_012126.jpg
    20220807_012126.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220807_012207.jpg
    20220807_012207.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220807_012224.jpg
    20220807_012224.jpg