Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
It actually looks like even the goldtop has a maple veneer, ebay listing I found today showing a sanded goldtop that has a veneer under the paint?

52260631661_da16a655b0_b.jpg

52260631571_1699793028_b.jpg

52260908714_316415afba_b.jpg

52260651043_32199932d1_b.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/epiphone-les-paul-standard-50-s-Inspired-By-Gibson-Range-matt-sanded-top-neck-/125443559110?nma=true&si=xHTkmOHXw8kPUwlax%252F1ltdV3o6Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

syco

Reaction score

rbraad68

Reaction score

Yeah that seems to be the norm with Epiphone. Here is a pic of a 59 aged cherry that a guy sanded the finish off of. Almost looks like the veneer on that gold top...
gold top.jpeg

syco

Reaction score
I ordered this one from sweetwater it's the aged heritage cherry fade. I polished my lemonburst I think I will leave this one matte .
Pics of "polished " Lemon and pics as soon as you get that one !

rbraad68

Reaction score

OK so from left to right we have....
A southern fade 59 ?
The new lemon drop 59?
The ADB 59 ??

Do i have that right man? I have 3 59's and a JB Laz in my 59 collection. If I had my way all my Epi Lp's would be the 59's. I really want to find a nice Aged Cherry Burst one of these days. The Aged Cherry Burst I have got spray painted gold by the owner before me ... I feel those 3 colors are the core of the 59's so I deff need to add one to the collection when I get back on my feet. Until then this is my Aged Cherry Burst. Still has the BB's and pretty much stock other than the Faber aged nickel parts and Kluson tuners. The guy did me a solid when he sold me the guitar. He went thru the wiring and added PIO caps ,, Pretty cool guitar though....

finished 02.jpg
custom wire harness 01.jpg

**edit**
This is a pic of the guitar they guy took when he was stripping it down. You can see that yellowish veneer that was under the Cherry burst finish. This will be the one that I some day strip the veneer off of and refinish one of these days. For know the guitar works great so I wont mess with it....
59 gold top 02.jpeg

Last edited:

syco

Reaction score
OK so from left to right we have....
A southern fade 59 ?
The new lemon drop 59?
The ADB 59 ??

Do i have that right man?
You are correct . If they had a few more good colors , I'd probably just keep getting these , but don't care for the Cherry or the 2 colors Sweetwater have .

rbraad68

Reaction score
You are correct . If they had a few more good colors , I'd probably just keep getting these , but don't care for the Cherry or the 2 colors Sweetwater have .
If you look around you can find a decent cherry burst. I have seen some good ones. I will deff buy used this time.. I have the southern fade and the ADB with the ACB i will have the three main colors. Though the official colors were just the two colors the ADB and the ACB but i really like the Southern Fade too so....

revtime

Reaction score
Looking good man!! What tuners did you go with?
Guyker pros kluson style locking tuners. Im on the fence about em. Not the performance. They work great. The color of the buttons is just not sitting well.
This is the time I miss when guitar stores were around. You could actually see a part in real life to make a better decision.

bnwitt

Reaction score
I received my southern fade this week. I am just now inspecting it. I like the finish and have no plan to polish it or change it. The setup on the other hand is awful. The neck is straight but the bridge is way high on the low E side making the string clearance at the neck high frets very high and the guitar unplayable. They raised the bridge pickup to achieve the pickup to string clearance and it is cockeyed in the pickup trim ring which looks ridiculous. I don't know who set this guitar up, but they didn't know what they were doing.
Since I am going to have to straighten this out, I am going to go ahead and install the Faber bridge and tailpiece kit. I also don't like the stock control knobs as the numbers do not contrast well with the knob body. I'll be changing those as well.

syco

Reaction score
I received my southern fade this week. I am just now inspecting it. I like the finish and have no plan to polish it or change it. The setup on the other hand is awful. The neck is straight but the bridge is way high on the low E side making the string clearance at the neck high frets very high and the guitar unplayable. They raised the bridge pickup to achieve the pickup to string clearance and it is cockeyed in the pickup trim ring which looks ridiculous. I don't know who set this guitar up, but they didn't know what they were doing.
Since I am going to have to straighten this out, I am going to go ahead and install the Faber bridge and tailpiece kit. I also don't like the stock control knobs as the numbers do not contrast well with the knob body. I'll be changing those as well.
Unless you bought it used ...... it shouldn't be "set up " . 90% of all new Epiphones I have bought have the bridge high and neck straight . If it came with the bridge as low as it would go , you would most likely have the strings digging into the frets and humbuckers during it's trip overseas .

Just out of curiosity , how are they supposed to know you are buying that exact guitar and you like it set up a certain way ?

Also need pics so we can all drool over your new acquisition .

revtime

Reaction score
I bought the faber kit for my NRB. It had the seth lovers in it so I decided to upgrade the whole guitar. May do the same on lemon drop. The setup was not optimal on mine either. Action too high and bridge pickup high as well. Knocked em both down and instantly made it wonderful.

bnwitt

Reaction score
"Just out of curiosity , how are they supposed to know you are buying that exact guitar and you like it set up a certain way ?"

Well of course they are not supposed to know how I like my guitars personally set up but they are supposed to know the typical Les Paul setup criteria. This guitar isn't even close. Low E string height at the 12th fret is 2.75mm. That's a long way from the standard 2mm I have several other Indonesian made guitars that came set up much better than this one. I have three G&L tributes that were great right out of the box for half the price so this guitar having such a poor setup is surprising. Don't get me wrong, I really like this guitar for many reasons but it still needs some work to be playable.
My photo files are too large for this server so I'll have to reduce their resolution to get them posted but at least the neck pickup photo fits. More to follow.

Attachments

• IMG20220806091918.jpg
    IMG20220806091918.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

bnwitt

Reaction score
I bought the faber kit for my NRB. It had the seth lovers in it so I decided to upgrade the whole guitar. May do the same on lemon drop. The setup was not optimal on mine either. Action too high and bridge pickup high as well. Knocked em both down and instantly made it wonderful.
I'm seeing the same action/pickup height issue. I'll lower both the bridge and pickup to specs while I'm waiting on the Faber master kit.

Latest Threads