Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard Owners Club

Spirit

Reaction score
Hello Epi 59 owners. I myself, am not (yet) an owner. I’m having doubts. I’m not sure about the Matt finish, and also I haven’t yet seen one that doesn’t look cheaply painted, I find it hard to like the way the dark colour doesn’t blend with the lighter colour. You see it all the time on cheaper guitars. Even some Gibson LP’s. Not something ima fan of. SO! Convince me, apart from the price, why should I buy one of these LPs over a Gibson standard? Don’t bite me, I’m really interested in why you all love them. I’d really like to hear your thoughts.
Go and play one,judge for yourself,

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I’m considering one of these. They sell them in Andertons here in UK.
If you're in the UK, I would definitely get one of those Andertons Exclusive 59 Standard colors in the Lemon Burst, they do look sweet. I have the Lazarus 59 Les Paul Standard. It is one of the best guitars I have ever received, a great playing/feeling guitar. I had my local Luthier do a Fret Dressing to level and polish the frets and this guitar is fantastic, couldn't be happier. I converted my Lazarus Dirty Lemon burst over to a Slash AFD, I like the smaller 59 neck a lot more than the Custom Slash neck, which is a little big bigger. I got a Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's, but ended up sending it back, it had to many issues and should have been a lot nicer for the price paid.

Before
lazarus3.jpg

After
EpiSlashAppetite3.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
If you're in the UK, I would definitely get one of those Andertons Exclusive 59 Standard colors in the Lemon Burst, they do look sweet. I have the Lazarus 59 Les Paul Standard. It is one of the best guitars I have ever received, a great playing/feeling guitar. I had my local Luthier do a Fret Dressing to level and polish the frets and this guitar is fantastic, couldn't be happier. I converted my Lazarus Dirty Lemon burst over to a Slash AFD, I like the smaller 59 neck a lot more than the Custom Slash neck, which is a little big bigger. I got a Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's, but ended up sending it back, it had to many issues and should have been a lot nicer for the price paid.

Before
View attachment 624662

After
View attachment 624663
I totally agree with you man. As you know i did the same with mine. I didn't get to have any work done to mine fret wise. But I will say even so the the guitar plays great. With out a doubt my JB Laz Slash lol is one of my best playing guitars I own !! Best 1200 bucks I ever spent on a guitar and upgrades.....
289102698_565130321791476_453471232464786680_n.jpg
277186821_1097133744187048_247721597019512074_n.jpg
JB 59 07.jpg
JB 59 012.jpg

Last edited:

Arbuilder

Reaction score
Hello Epi 59 owners. I myself, am not (yet) an owner. I’m having doubts. I’m not sure about the Matt finish, and also I haven’t yet seen one that doesn’t look cheaply painted, I find it hard to like the way the dark colour doesn’t blend with the lighter colour. You see it all the time on cheaper guitars. Even some Gibson LP’s. Not something ima fan of. SO! Convince me, apart from the price, why should I buy one of these LPs over a Gibson standard? Don’t bite me, I’m really interested in why you all love them. I’d really like to hear your thoughts.
I think for what you get with this guitar they are hard to beat. Gibson USA pickups, cts pots, switchcaft toggle and jack. You can polish the top with meguiars scratch x and they shine up nicely. I have a Gibson standard 60s in burboun burst if I had bought one of these Epis first I don't think I would have bought the Gibson. Don't let the name on the headstock deter you from buying a great guitar.

Attachments

• 20220705_180203 (1).jpg
    20220705_180203 (1).jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220719_111939.jpg
    20220719_111939.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 21

bnwitt

Reaction score
Has anyone rewired their Epiphone 59 to the vintage Les Paul wiring layout with the bumble bee capacitors?

syco

Reaction score
Has anyone rewired their Epiphone 59 to the vintage Les Paul wiring layout with the bumble bee capacitors?
minus the bumblebee's ....... It's already vintage wired .

bnwitt

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'm waiting on my 59 to arrive and I see they have mallory caps in the photos and descriptions. I've got Bumble Bees in stock, but I'll see how the mallories sound. I've used mallories in a lot of my Fender BFDR amp builds and they are good caps. I'm planning on installing a Faber FB59 lightweight tailpiece. Any other mods suggested?

Last edited:

syco

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I'm waiting on my 59 to arrive and I see they have mallory caps in the photos and descriptions. I've got Bumble Bees in stock, but I'll see how the mallories sound. I've used mallories in a lot of my Fender BFDR reverb amp builds and they are good caps. I'm planning on installing a Faber FB59 lightweight tailpiece. Any other mods suggested?
I have 3 and haven't felt the need to replace/upgrade anything . Most people do the bridge/tailpiece and do the locking tuners .

bnwitt

Reaction score
I think for what you get with this guitar they are hard to beat. Gibson USA pickups, cts pots, switchcaft toggle and jack. You can polish the top with meguiars scratch x and they shine up nicely. I have a Gibson standard 60s in burboun burst if I had bought one of these Epis first I don't think I would have bought the Gibson. Don't let the name on the headstock deter you from buying a great guitar.
Wow! That took guts to polish your guitar with car polish. How did you do it?

bnwitt

Reaction score
I have 3 and haven't felt the need to replace/upgrade anything . Most people do the bridge/tailpiece and do the locking tuners .
Any idea which locking tuners fit the guitar?

syco

Reaction score
Any idea which locking tuners fit the guitar?
Any of the 3 +3 tuners from Gotoh , Kluson , Grover, Graph tech should work . Just depends on the color or style you want .

bnwitt

Reaction score
So, I've been reading the posts related to polishing out the dull finish of these guitars and the orange peel condition which sometimes follows. I know a lot of you owners have polished your 59's and I'm curious if this condition is an unavoidable side effect or if the polishing can be done in a manner that avoids this. If so, what is the process to follow?
I have ordered one with the Aged Southern Fade finish versions from ZZounds. It will be here on August 3rd. If I decide to polish it, I sure want to do it correctly. I am very interested in other's experiences and advice. Thank you in advance for your responses.

barryf

Reaction score
So, I've been reading the posts related to polishing out the dull finish of these guitars and the orange peel condition which sometimes follows. I know a lot of you owners have polished your 59's and I'm curious if this condition is an unavoidable side effect or if the polishing can be done in a manner that avoids this. If so, what is the process to follow?
I have ordered one with the Aged Southern Fade finish versions from ZZounds. It will be here on August 3rd. If I decide to polish it, I sure want to do it correctly. I am very interested in other's experiences and advice. Thank you in advance for your responses.

My experience is described here https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/polishing-the-59.457798/post-10001831

However, I have taken a further step, and am in the process of completely stripping mine back to bare wood, after which I will either just clear coat or, if the maple cap is not great under the veneer (yes, that is coming off as well) then I am finishing it in all black.

I stripped the back today using a heat gun and scraper - nice two piece mahogany there, no surprises. Will do the top tomorrow and see what's underneath!

bnwitt

Reaction score
I think what you are doing now might be beyond my finishing skills though I will check out your previous summary. Thank you for the response.

rbraad68

Reaction score
My experience is described here https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/polishing-the-59.457798/post-10001831

However, I have taken a further step, and am in the process of completely stripping mine back to bare wood, after which I will either just clear coat or, if the maple cap is not great under the veneer (yes, that is coming off as well) then I am finishing it in all black.

I stripped the back today using a heat gun and scraper - nice two piece mahogany there, no surprises. Will do the top tomorrow and see what's underneath!
OH man you have to make your own thread!! I am very interested in what goes into doing one of these. Looking foward to seeing what you are up to. Fixing to check out that link you posted.

Robo67

Reaction score
good god man that is just a great top on that thing!! Decent yr too... the more i look at it the more i like it !! one of these days very soon i hope i wil be adding a gibson to the collection!! again man congrats on that bad boy!!!
Thank you...I really do love the top, sounds good too! added Jackson 50's wiring kit with VIP Centralab Pots and Emerson Bumblebee PIO Caps....tying to make it my Gibson 59' LP ...will prob. change out the pickguard and rings eventually to the vintage white and also do a Faber vintage nickel kit

Latest Threads